Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
My Annoyances with Oblivion ( What are yours? )
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
blgrssby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Forgot to post one of my gripes... With playing a thief it would be really nice if I could do something as simple as crouch. It's annoying not being able to crouch down behind things or to get stuck because something is blocking your path that you could get past if you could crouch. (Bravil is a good example. Some of the alleys you can't get through because there is a single board or something about half way up that blocks your path. Can't imagine that it would be hard to go under it, but it won't let you.)

Along with crouching it would be nice to be able to peek around corners.

And, a question - is there anyway to disable traps?
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You can peek around corners using 3rd person mode. If you use the mousewheel to zoom out you can see really well since the camera pans real wide. 'R' key toggles the camera.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:47 pm
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by blgrssby
And, a question - is there anyway to disable traps?

I shoot an arrow at the 'trigger plates' and that will usually set them off, Usually you can sneak up on the 'trip wires' and get close enuf to activate them intentionally, from one side or the other and miss the swinging death which usually aims for the center of the hallway. Larger floor tiles ususally already have a victim nearby, I usually try to 'Z' grab the body and lay it across the floor panel. The voodoo air darts, ~shrug~ I can't seem to locate the triggers for them.... I just run thru them as fast as I can.

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:15 pm
blgrssby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

I shoot an arrow at the 'trigger plates' and that will usually set them off, Usually you can sneak up on the 'trip wires' and get close enuf to activate them intentionally, from one side or the other and miss the swinging death which usually aims for the center of the hallway. Larger floor tiles ususally already have a victim nearby, I usually try to 'Z' grab the body and lay it across the floor panel. The voodoo air darts, ~shrug~ I can't seem to locate the triggers for them.... I just run thru them as fast as I can.

That's basically what I've been doing. Guess I was hoping there was a proper way to disable them and I just didn't figure it out.

The air darts would be another spot that a good crouch/crawl type command would be handy for.

quote:

You can peek around corners using 3rd person mode. If you use the mousewheel to zoom out you can see really well since the camera pans real wide. 'R' key toggles the camera.

Now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:48 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

In one of the demo videos, the player threw an apple through a tripwire to set it off. Must remember to try that one...

But I believe you're right - there's no way to disarm traps, you just need to trigger them without being hit yourself. Or, ideally, catching a few bad guys at the same time.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:46 pm
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Probably it's a really stupid and insignificant complaint, but I'm really not happy with object placing. I hoped so much that I'll be able to furnish my house easily. Now I have a hard time to put a stupid cup upward on a table with "grab". Or is there some other way for this?
Also, racks for swords and shields, etc. Putting books upwards on shelves...it's not a sims game I know, but it was real fun in Morrowind to put the best loot on display in your house. Unfortunately I'm obsessed with book collecting...
It's not the most important problem for me, only I do not wish to repeat those whom spoketh here. It's just that I'm curious if I'm the only one who is annoyed a bit by this.
Beside the "leveling" problem I'm pretty satisified with the game, it looks amazing, I like the quests, only the hardness and the uselessness of leveling is disappointing. I do not want to be god, but holy hell, if I can kill a daedra monster, why does an effing mountain lion finish me off with two hits??
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:08 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Ah the Mountain Lion. Don't get me started.

The fearless hero returns from his quest. He walks the road, head held high, proud and resplendent. In glorious triumph he has thwarted the hordes of darkness... and gets promptly eaten by a lion.

I *will* mod the game to turn the lion into a turnip.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:37 pm
InsaneOrc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by RPG Frog
I've got zero complaints. I love this "console" game. It's running smooth @ 1280x720 progressive-scan on my Samsung LCD!!! Thats on 360 with HDR & AA running!!!

Lets see who laughs when there are great patches and mods for this game on PC and the Xbox-game is still in this rashed state.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:17 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by InsaneOrc
quote:
Originally posted by RPG Frog
I've got zero complaints. I love this "console" game. It's running smooth @ 1280x720 progressive-scan on my Samsung LCD!!! Thats on 360 with HDR & AA running!!!

Lets see who laughs when there are great patches and mods for this game on PC and the Xbox-game is still in this rashed state.

I just find it quite amusing that you can be running this game at 1024x768 and you have to choose HDR over AA or vice-versa. Whereas on that kiddy console version you get both HDR & AA running at the same time at 1280x720.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:39 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

So far the only thing I hate is the inappropriate voice when I get hurt. It's that woman that does 90% of the female NPCs. She doesn't sound at all like the sexy little wood elf that I am. Oddly, there seems to be two voices. Sometime's she pants and that sounds different, and then there's this horrible voice over too.

The other thing which isn't a big deal really, just doesn't live up to the hype is the way the NPCs interract with each other. Sure they now talk to each other and each one introduces himself and has something uniqe to say, but they all just basically wander around aimlessly like in Morrowind except when they go to bed or the Inn.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002

The fearless hero returns from his quest. He walks the road, head held high, proud and resplendent. In glorious triumph he has thwarted the hordes of darkness... and gets promptly eaten by a lion.

ROFLOL! That's it!

quote:

Be so kind and pm me when you made that mod! I want it too! ;D Wasn't turnip harvesting a quest in Gothic 2? ;D
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I don't like the faces. Nearly everytime the screen zooms to a new faces, I wonder who made the art work. Faces are detailed and all, but simply too ugly.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:35 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by lilithn
quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002

ROFLOL! That's it!

quote:

Be so kind and pm me when you made that mod! I want it too! ;D Wasn't turnip harvesting a quest in Gothic 2? ;D

Lion 5 Hero 2

Playoffs on the open road this weekend. My bad. Whenever I travel now - if I run across a dead lion I get off my horse and use the 'Z' key to toss the corpse around and beat it with my sword. It makes me feel really powerful.

I can take out Willo-Wisps, Boars, Minotaurs, Bandits, Trolls, Bears and Timber Wolves. But the lion? My greaves must really smell from all the pee.

Yeah picking turnips in G2 But at least the hero was still a loser at that point!
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:08 pm
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Actually I get very strange nostalgic feelings for G2 while playing with Oblivion. (*scratches head*)
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:43 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Bethesda has really bridged the gap between Gothic and Morrowind. Gone is the "alien" world and the bad combat. I fired up G2: Gold the other day and its very hard to go back to those graphics.

The only thing that is still far different is the creature leveling system and the "sandbox" feel of Oblivion. I was very obsessive with Gothic 2 but now I think Oblivion has outdone it. I'm not saying Oblivion is a better game, I'm simply finding myself obsessing more over Oblivion, staying up until 4AM over and over again playing it. Not since Gothic 2 have I been like this!
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:55 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next