A few questions from a noob
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

A few questions from a noob

How do I identify an item? Does just having a high artifact rating do the trick? Like should I give the unidentified object to the char who has a high artifact rating? Also, If I'm going dual wield, should I put all my points in dual wield or should I also put in close combat, like do they stack? Lastly, is having a rogue important, like to pick locks?
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:01 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

aye

first off, welcome to the wonderful world of wizardry!

if you have a bishop er mage that can cast the identify spell, then that is ideal. becuase then you can cast the identify spell n if it dont work then you can camp till yer MP return to full then just try again....and your right, another way is to have a character with high artifact rating pick the item up, but i beleive this is quite random anyways, so i would go with the identify spell method...

close combat is a good skill to have high for any char. that is a melee attacker...dual weild is good to have high for a char. you wish to hold two weapons with, so i would recomend that you space them out evenly n put jus as many points into dual weild as you would close combat....yet that is just my style....it makes since right?

and lastly for your question about a rouge and picking locks...a rouge is good to have if you plan on just using him for pickin locks n trap disarming n melee attacks.....i recomend using a gadgeteer because he is evenly equiped with lock picking and trap disarming skills, plus he can be a very usefull long ranged fighter with his awsome omni-gun which grows with power as you level.

i hope this info helps you bro n let me know how it turns out....i jus got done with arnika n let me tell you...what a super hassle...heh heh

have fun man!

-porter

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:21 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

This game is great. I'm getting ready to head for Arnika. Yeah I've heard a lot of stuff about the road to Arnika. I'll just be persistent. I'll let u know when I arrive, it'll be worth celebrating hehe.
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:49 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by thartanian
This game is great. I'm getting ready to head for Arnika. Yeah I've heard a lot of stuff about the road to Arnika.

Yes, most unbalanced place in the whole Wizardry world :].
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:54 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just a couple points of clarification:

Items have a set level as far as what level of Artifacts skill is required to ID them. When your skill is increased (from leveling or use), then go into the inventory screen (it does not matter which character) and right click on the unidentified items. Some are harder to identify than others.

Rogues, Gadgeteers, Bards, and Ninja can all have the Locks & Traps skill. The Rogue is just the best at it since he/she gets a 25% bonus.
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:19 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I've got a level 7 bishop with a shillelah staff. Anyhow, I just got fireball but whenever I try to cast it I see this hardcore wizards staff with an orb on top on the screen. Then my bishop says it's impossible to cast it. Do I need a nice staff with an orb to cast fireball? If so, where can I find one? I'm here in Arnika. Also, I'm thinking about rerolling and starting over. This will be the 3rd time I do this, that way I can create a party that I feel is more suitable to me and better prepared for the journey. Sort of like a trial and error to make the perfect party. You learn a lot about how you can improve your party as you play, especially if you've never played before. Anyhow, I have a question about character creation. When I make a bishop who I intend to be placed in the center of the party and who I want to cast only magic spells, should I place any points at all in close or range combat? Is there any need to place points in strength or piety or dexterity for a pure spellcaster. I was thinking pure intelligence, speed, vitality, and a bit of sense. Is it wise to make a pure spellcaster? Or is it good to have at least a little combat proficiency?

Last edited by thartanian on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:43 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

The "staff" is a marker for where you want to place the center of the Fireball. You move it with the mouse and left-click to place the marker. You will also need to select a power level for the spell of course. With the marker, you can also right-click and hold, then move the mouse to move the marker up or down.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:04 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

*bump*
Sorry I edited the my last post and just wanted you guys to know so you don't overlook it. Another question, when you see items on the ground where can I drag it to besides a character tab so that it goes straight into the party inventory?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:14 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's not unusual to start over many times before you find a party that you take all of the way through....8 times for me

If you raise a Bishop's Intelligence and Piety (more spell points), then you will likely not have much need to use weapons. I once ran a party of 2 Fighters and 4 Bishops (that one went all the way through the game), and they cast spells every round. They usually did not even come close to running out of spell points. They would sometimes have to switch over to another Realm when one Realm was exhausted of points, but they never ran out of total points. Others may have differing views on this, but a Bishop gets a lot of spell points so I use them.

If you right-click a character portrait with the item in hand, the item is put into party inventory.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:27 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Why is the bishop more favorable than the mage?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:35 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Also, how do I dual class? Where do I go to change a character's class while playing?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:42 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bishop vs Mage

The Bishop gets all spellbooks: Wizardry, Psionic, Divinity, and Alchemy.
The Mage gets Wizardry.
The Mage starts out with higher points on his Spellbook and Realms.
The Bishop gets to wear better armor and use more weapons.
The Mage gets a 25% bonus to Wizardry.
The Mage levels faster.
The Bishop will tend to have more spell points.

Is one better than the other? I guess it would depend on what you were looking for...

Dual-class:

Generally, this is not recommended (except for some noted exceptions), but try it out for yourself if you like. When you level up, on the first screen, select a different class. You will have to meet the minimum attribute requirements for the class though (right-click the class to see the requirements).
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:48 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I'm trying to decide whether to go for swords, maces, polearms, or axes for my fighter. I want uber dmg, low combat delay is fine. Which one type, on average, does the highest dmg? And which one do you find more magical weapons for?

Also, I'm going with mage cause I love fireball and energy burst. He'll be a pure spellcaster, should I at least put 1 point in staffs or there is no need? I want him to be able to carry a staff.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:16 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Swords or maces. The maces are guaranteed in the game. Some of the better swords are set, some are random. There are not a great selection of axes. Polearms will do some damage, but they are slow so you will get less swings than a sword or mace.

Skills go up when you use them. If you plan on using your staff a lot, then you will probably not have to put a lot of points into the skill (Intelligence is a controlling factor for a lot of the combat skills. So casters weapon skills will increase fairly well with moderate use.)

EDIT: Staff & Wand skill controlling factors are Strength and Dexterity. The lower these are, the less likely skill increases will occur with use (and opposite for higher attributes).
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Also, I have found out, definitively, that backfire and fizzles can result in gaining skill points. While casting missle shield my Sam's air skill increased on a fizzle. During a combat where the only spell the ranger cast was a blinding flash that backfired blinding half the party, his fire magic went up a point. Luckily it was an easy battle, he was casting just to get some experience in the skill. So I guess you could say it was a success *grimace*
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next