Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Went back to DAoC again, anyone else play?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Went back to DAoC again, anyone else play?

I've been away from Dark Age of Camelot for over 6 months because I really got bored on it last time (too much powerleveling I guess). Few days ago I went back with my brother and we are finding it totally fun again

Does anyone else here play DAoC?

We are playing on the U.S. RP server Guinevere, on Albion Realm. I have my old characters 42 Paladin and 35 Sorceress there. Now I started a class I've never played before, Theurgist. And my brother also started a class he has not played before, Cabalist.

Those classes are fun Cabalist and Theurgist team is just unbeatable in PvM (Player-versus-Monster). We are too young for RvR (Realm-versus-Realm) War yet so I can't tell how that will work.

During last evening we got from level 1 to 10 in few hours by only teaming with each other and killing red/purple monsters. And it was fun

One thing I have to say is now worse than 6 months ago. They did buff Hibernian Realm too much. They are now dominating the RvR in almost all servers. Hibernian bards have gotten new instant AOE CC (Area of Effect, Crowd control) shouts, mezmerize and root, which can freeze groups of people from far away. Combined with their ability to buff the running speed and the fact that their instant shouts have equal range to our (e.g. sorcerers) normal CC spells that have 2-3 seconds of casting time it is way too overpowering. Also Hibernian bolt casters do so much damage (400-500 per shot on equal level opponent, while my sorcerer does only 100-200) that it is very hard to be effective against them.

However, we will find a way;)
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:50 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've been wanting to give DAoC a try. I bought it with a few expansions for EQ off someone on EBay a month ago but haven't received it yet. I'm really starting to get worried.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:17 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Provis, you definitely should give DAoC a try! It is a wonderful game! Of course, every wonderful thing has it's own bad points but still... try it if you have a chance.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:24 am
Ammon77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I had fun playing DAoC, but eventually I got frustrated with the fact that you have to play for ??? hours before you can go do serious PvP. It just takes too long. Plus I got tired of the mediocre graphics. But it was fun while it lasted. Now I am waiting for SWG and AC2. :)
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:30 am
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I have a lvl 21 zerker on Guinevere, but my account was just suspended a few days ago, cause I don't have the money at the moment to pay. I have to pay by cash, so it costs a lot more then by credit card, but I'll get back in soon.

I've been playing for a while, once a long time ago, for the 30 free days, and 2-3 months ago I started again, and made a new char. Its always been fun for me. I agree that the hibs seem a little too powerfull now, I've done RvR quite a bit now, and they are always a pain. Specially their pets! I was with a group of 30+ once that took Thidranki (BG1) from the hibs, and even though we outnumbered them by a lot, they were still a pain.

If I ever get my account going again, maybe we'll get a chance to do battle against each other in RvR, My guys name is Thorto.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:00 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Xanaki
Provis, you definitely should give DAoC a try! It is a wonderful game! Of course, every wonderful thing has it's own bad points but still... try it if you have a chance.

I'm going to give it a try as soon as it gets here. I sent the guy an email today, hopefully he'll tell me he just mailed them.

Grrr my first bad experience with ebay.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:27 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Provis, Hopefully you get the thing settled and get your account!

I started another new character yesteray. A fire spec Wizard. I got him up to level 10 already. This class is so fun to play too. I love the high powered long range bolts. Ooh, beware when I graduate to decent RvR age

So this makes my chars now:

43 Paladin
35 Sorceress
14 Theurgist
10 Wizard

Pretty magic related, eh? Yeah, I like playing casters. On every RPG game I play I prefer magic classes.
Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:35 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I emailed the guy and he apologized and said things have been hectic at the newspaper he works for the past few weeks and he'd send it out thursday or friday. So hopefully I'll have it by early next week.

*crosses fingers*

Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:31 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

DAoC rocks when you first start playing, after like 6 mos i got sick of it too, mostly because people just want to sit in one spot and all pounce on re-spawns for days on end, PvP was really really laggy on the servers i played on, and most times would go into an encounter just to wake up dead. I have a few high-level toons on Guin and Merlin, a Thane,Paladin, Merc. Have a low level Hib dude that can transform half-buck, thats pretty cool, and a low level sorceror that's a blast to play. My favorite area is the Barrows tomb under Stonehenge in Alb.

-is the PvP lag still atrocious?
-have they added any new content or areas to explore

I pretty much staked out the entire maps of all realms, thats usually the end of a game for me, after I see everything there is to see.Only a few people would truly go on explorations anyway, easier to camp and PL xp.
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:57 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I played the European version from start of Beta until about 4 months after release - then I got bored. So I cancelled my account but last week I decided to give it another go and I'm really enjoying it again. I may get bored but the best thing is that I am part of a really friendly guild who are always willing to help you out. If anyone here plays on the European servers my Main Char is "surprise, surprise" Kendrik in Hibernia and the Excaliber Server. Give me an ingame shout. Also to anyone in the same position as me; the Euro servers are a lot better now with not so many LD and they are almost caught up patch-wise. Go on give it another whirl you know you want to.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:00 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I would play DAOC again, but I am in AC2 beta now and the graphics are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. Really, there are. And the gameplay is a taaaaaaaaad better. Truelly, it is. And did i mention that the graphics are better? oh ya guess i did. If you didnt download it from fileplanet you are in for a dissssssssappointment since they closed it now. But AC2 is sooooooo coooooool. The landscape is sooooo much bigger and better than DAOC. The only thing that will make me play that most boring game is if my computer died and i had to use my mom's computer instead, which has a crappy sound card. I mean on counterstrike you shoot the gun and 2 seconds later you hear the gun fire. much fun.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:56 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

quote:
-is the PvP lag still atrocious?

PvP lag? I suppose you mean the "Slide Show" effect which occurs when large armies are attacking a keep or relic keep? That still exists, very much, exactly the same as before. NO matter what kind of machine you have the RvR will turn into slideshow.

Few helping measures exist though: Turn off the spell effects or force it to show only your own spell effects (/effects self). Turn off the player names. Drop resolution. Etc.

These help but only very little.

HOWEVER, something is coming that will help this misery! Shrouded Isles expansion back will feature a completely new 3D engine. The reports from current betatesters indicate that this will solve all framerate problems in huge RvR situations. Check out the Shrouded Isles official web page.

quote:
-have they added any new content or areas to explore

Yes, there are few new dungeons. The biggest and prettiest of them all is the Darkness Falls (if you havent seen that yet). Also 1.53 patch which will be activated shortly on U.S. servers (where I play even I am european) will have a new dungeon too. Lots and lots of new items, quests and such. 1.53 patch will also help the leveling speed from 40 to 45. Check out Camelot Herald patch news

Ammon777,

I agree that AC2 is way prettier, but for content I disagree. I have been playing AC2 beta since beta0 (which was internal) and I went to DAoC back again because it has a lot more to do. However, I believe that AC2 will shine soon
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:06 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, i heard they expanded some dungeons as well, like Mithra's Tomb. My friends are pleading for me to come back and play, even offering to pay for it, i just cant see getting back into that DAoC rut tho. I just remember sitting around not having anyone to play with because everyone was either too high, or too low leveled, and messed up Xp. I personally couldnt care about Xp that much, im more into it for the "experience" than the Xp. Used to blow people away when Id (lvl 30+) go journeying with a level 20 or so just to have fun exploring, and get practically no Xp. I dunno, MMOrPgs kinda have left a sour taste in my mouth, tho i can safely say, that shot of the dragon on the beach in Asherons Call looks AWESOME!
Post Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:48 am
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

hmmm

I was the first to get married (rp) on gwenavere lol. Got tired of all the rvr bugs and quit. Was the first I believe in the entire game
Post Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:59 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by Farseer
I was the first to get married (rp) on gwenavere lol. Got tired of all the rvr bugs and quit. Was the first I believe in the entire game

That's the part I hated about DAoC. It was so sterile. It worked perfectly, but there was no human touch to it. There was no motivation to try and have a party. Or to just sit down and shoot the s**t with someone. Everybody was always in a rush to get back to the leveling threadmill, since that's all that game ever was.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:28 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next