Heroes of Might & Magic MMORPG...in China
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Heroes of Might & Magic MMORPG...in China

Today's strangest story comes from Gamespot who are <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/07/news_6109980.html" target="_blank">reporting</a> a deal that will see the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise developed as a MMORPG...for the Chinese market:<blockquote><em>SHANGHAI, China--In America, 2004 has seen the cancellation of many high-profile massively multiplayer online role-playing games. Ultima X: Odyssey, Mythica, Warhammer Online, have all fallen under the axe. <br> <br>However, across the Pacific, a classic role-playing game with more than a dozen sequels is about to be reincarnated as an MMORPG space. At a press conference this week in Shanghai, Ubisoft China and game developer TQ Digital Entertainment said they had inked a deal that will see an MMORPG based on the Might and Magic franchise reaching Chinese gamers in 2005. A worldwide launch is also being considered.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:21 pm
Angelspit
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What's strange is the title of the GameSpot article. I hope they realize this title will have very little to do with the Heroes games.

... or with any of the singleplayer Might and Magic games, for that matter...
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:40 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I guess we'll wait & see. And I think that the Chineese developer may do some better job than any Western developer on the title.
Btw, Angelspit, a Heroes of M&M MMORPG may be just as fun as a M&M MMORPG (Heroes controlling huge armies, heroes being in recruit of others, and so on).
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:07 pm
Benedikt
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

heroes of M&M?

i would really like to know, why there is "Heroes of M&M, when inside article is written about M&M franchise (imho RPG one)
ben
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:02 pm
Angelspit
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Btw, Angelspit, a Heroes of M&M MMORPG may be just as fun as a M&M MMORPG

I'm not so sure it would work, but we never know; there's a massively multiplayer baseball game after all. Anyway, Ubisoft is working on a new Heroes game as well, and based on the info we got, it's going to stick to the classic formula. The only major change is a switch to a 3D engine, but that was to be expected.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:04 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I don't think it will work, unless they change the game style, in my opinion a turn based game doesn't work as a MMORPG.
Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:17 pm

They probably just use the brand to sell the game. Don't expect anything big, it is developed for China for a reason.

It will probably be an isometric game which is capable of running on very old computers and comparable to Legends of Mir or Ragnarok. A simple click and kill, Diablo style game with 3 different characters to play(no classes or races to combine), 5 spell for each character and 150 different monsters and treasures.

These kind of games would never be a success in Europe or America but they got hundred thousends of subscribers in Asia.

I was looking on the internet for information about the developers. They are a company which develops online games and plans to release 2-4 games every year. No company which develops MMORPGs for the western market could do this at the moment. Only simple point and click games can be developed that fast.

And if you still believe that the game could be interresting for us. Here is a link to a game which the company developed(check out the screenshot): http://zf.91.com/index.asp

That game might have been done with an MMORPG construction kit.
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:23 pm

X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I don't think that anyone thinks it will be a good game, Btw i am asian(Middle-East)and i don't play any game.
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:10 pm