Arx Fatalis demo :-)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Get it here (150MB) and let's discuss it in this forum *g*

Just downloading myself, to see the changes since the press demo we received...

[ This Message was edited by: Rendelius on 2002-03-01 10:57 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:55 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Woohoo! Getting it right now
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:15 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Darn work, I guess I'll give it a shot when I get home late tonight. Let me know how it is!!

-vaticide
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:43 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Faster than the press demo, nice in 32bit, has some stability problems on my system. Played the first 10 minutes now, casted my first spell (excellent spellcasting system). Fog plane a little bit too near, even when set out far.

Atmosphere: Dense. So far I like it WAY better than the first press demo.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:02 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

It looks and feels ok. Unfortunatly it crashed twice on my system in about 30 minutes of play.
Controls are both well-known (the wasd keys feel familiar) and awkward because the switching between freelook/combat/interactive mode feels a bit weird.
But I guess you will get used to that in time.

I haven't been able to find the save/load game feature though. Anyone seen it?

[ This Message was edited by: Snoekie on 2002-03-01 16:24 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:23 pm
Lazypat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

go to "Edit Quest" to save/load the game. I didn't see much of the game yet too since I keep crashing. Anyone was able to load the 2nd scene?

The official board is down as well

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:56 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Finished the demo
Once you leave the goblin prison, the game REALLY picks up. The atmosphere was awesome. Hehe, it looks like it's going to be a M rated game, from the gore i've seen.

Gameplay-wise, this game rocks. The combat system isn't bad at all. And I'm pretty used to the mouse-look thingy, since you also had to hold the right-mouse button to look around in Wizzie 8.

A few complaints:
-crashes often
-if you throw a chair (or anything else) at the wall, it'll actually stick in mid-air. Was hilarious, though
-kinda SPOILER (not really, though): once I reached the castle, the blood and smoke textures were flickering constantly, kinda annoying. I used to have the same prob with the Wizzie 8 demo, but I got the newest driver. That was just recently, so I don't think it's a server prob here... Maybe it is.
-No lip-synching. This looks like badly translated anime
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:28 pm
Lazypat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

doh..I can't get past the first scene. I got a geforce2 mx card and just tried the new nvidia beta 2270 drivers and it still keeps crashing when loading the 2nd scene.

I heard that some people got troubles with Windows after uninstalling the game btw.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:49 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

This might sound stupid, but how in the hell you are use items (this line on broken elevator) and fish on the fire how long you have to wait so it will be cooked.

Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:34 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I didn't like the demo at all. The lipsync hit me first and hardest, I think. From there ... I didn't like the spellcasting system (I found it awkward at best). I wish there was a way to have look view always on... I didn't like right click and holding.

I don't know... it just felt awkward all around.

It crashed my system installing, and it crashed it uninstalling too. Those were not endearing traits, either.

But I'm glad I tried the demo rather than buy the game. All RPGs are not for everyone.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:26 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Interesting Demo, but it takes an age to load on my PC. ( P3 500). The introduction and cut-scenes are awful, and the voice acting is a joke. On the other hand, the game seems very interesting, if a little hard to get into. I don't like the fact that you cannot direct the conversation. That was one of the best things about Ultima Underworld. Graphics are nice. Spell system seems overly complacated, but I liked it.

I just wonder how it handle all the competition due soon. Morrowind, NWN, Might and Magic 9, Divine Divinity, Dungeon Siege and Jedi Knight 2 are all due in the next 3 months.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:12 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Have played some now. Do you know when the demo ends ?
I escaped from jail and now I'm supposed to go find a passage to the king.
Haven't found that one yet. Do I have to go back through jail ? Or how do I
get "initiated" by Tizzy or someone else so the password protected door
opens ? Or is it even possible to make explosives and get through the
blocked passage by blowing stuff up ?
There is another door (more like a gate actually) that doesn't open. How do
I get through that one ? Or have I really come to the end of the demo ?
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:58 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Demo ends when you try to go back to the Goblin prison. Having played some more, I am looking forward to the full game. Still find the interface too fiddly, especially when picking things up. A pick up all key would be great. I didn't get the password, just ended up killing everyone. Felt bad about the Dog.

It reminds me a lot more of Thief than Ultima Underworld. I miss having the option to talk, especially to tell everyone to do it themselves. Thats why I enjoy the Arcanum/Fallout type games, the freedom of speech. Hopefully it will be released soon.
I really could use a new RPG to play.

Either a feast or a famine.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:50 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yeah it did seem more like Thief that anything else... The control dynamics need some work... It seemed to awkward for me to become emersed it the gameplay... Plus its kinda buggy... I got frustrated and quit it after I died by accidently falling into the fire... There is potential here but IMHO needs a bit of work before I would think of purchacing it... Combat is also awkward... the only thing I though was really cool was the graphics/ambiance and the Magic system...
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:45 pm

The demo worked pretty well for me. No crashes, however my sound barely worked. Most of the time I made no footstep noises. I never heard anyone talk after the opening cutscene and pretty much everything I did was quiet. The music worked however.

Is there a quick way to put things into your inventory? I'm afraid the demo might have told me and I missed it.

Re: Cooking. Things are cooked almost immediately. You'll notice because the color of the food changes. The name of the fish does not change from "Fresh Fish" to "Cooked Fish". But it's cooked. Try killing a pig and cooking the ribs. The name of those will change. They seem to take longer to cook, too.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:31 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next