RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
eMWu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Night of the Raven won't start - Windows XP SP2

Hi

I have a weird problem.
I installed Gothic 2 (polish version) and the game runs just fine, then I installed night of the raven (polish version too) on it, the installation finished without any problems, but when I try to run the game nothing happens
And I mean really nothing, the game doesn't even show up in the processes list, not even for a second.
I tried running it both from the shorcut and the .exe file.

There is some progress when running it in windows 98 compatibility mode - the virtual file system thing starts and after ~2 minutes the game loads, but then the videos are reaaaaally slow and sound is choppy and when the screen with 3 mages appears the game freezes...

My system is Windows XP Professional PL SP2.
My hardware: Athlon XP 2500+; 1GB RAM; Radeon 9800; Audigy 2; Abit NF7-S 2.0; Lite-on cd-rw; pioneer dvd-rw
& latest drivers (omegas for the radeon)

Any help will be appreciated
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:14 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there eMWu, welcome to the boards,

Doesn't look like your getting much response, could be quite a technical problem, i'm not sure, - do you have the mobo usb hotfix installed? - if so try uninstalling sp2 - - also does it show dual channel memory enabled in the post screen? - when this is enabled, any memory/gpu/cpu bottlenecks are greatly reduced, but you would need two sticks of similar (paired) memory (mem slots 1 and 3) Even then many mobo memory problems would cause a similar problem as you have, if you havn't already done so - i would run the 'memcheck' program and look specially at the bits/bytes leak loop results (test-5 i think) you nead 'zero' result here for best performance.
Leave the mobo bios setting at default while checking this out (they call it optimum setting)?
let us know if this helps.
Good luck
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:09 pm
eMWu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well I have dual channel enabled.
I also have the newest bios for my mobo and newest drivers for it.
All the windows updates/fixes too.

Uninstalling SP2 is not an option, I prefer having it installed

Well, thanks anyway
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You´re one of the first here with the Polish version. You should also post on the JoWooD forums and contact the support at CDProject. This improves your chances.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:00 pm
eMWu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I did contact cdprojekt's support on friday. They don't work on weekends, so I tried my luck here...
Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:23 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I had a problem that when i used a certain program before playing gothic 2 the game wouldnt start. Nothing happened but the process was in the processes list.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 pm