RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Exetor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

RPG Old timers

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Well, many of us old geezers are playing games and haunt the RPGDot forums .

Well, I know I'm not the only elder in these forums, but sometimes I feel a bit lonely. Of the many people, male and female, with whom I've played great pen&paper RPGs with in the 70's and 80's as well as all the friends with whom I shared avid interest in the development of CRPGs since the 80's, I seem to be the last of my breed amoung my friends. Everyone else has "outgrown" games in the name of family or profession. So, while I know there are still many great people out there in my age range still playing great games, I don't know anyone else personally, who does.

And I'm glad to see that RPGs are popular with young people as well. May the games never die!

PS: Anyone know when Gothic II is scheduled for release???

Post Sat May 24, 2003 1:47 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

You're not alone!!

I've been around awhile myself. This has always been a great outlet, and it improves with age. I just find myself a bit more picky about what I play. I want richness of play, not just battles or brain teasing. I check here and on Amazon and they both say October for GII release. I'll be getting it when it comes out. If it is anything like GI I know I'll be playing it for months. Just deleted GI after several goes. I have the CD's and I know I'll install it again in the future. I'm going to install Arx again now and start the cycle over. By then GII should be out.
Mark Twain
Post Sat May 24, 2003 6:01 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Exetor, while my answer was meant for Shmaugus (sorry about not designating it appropriately), you needn't feel alone. Our eldest members are in their early 60s if I'm not completely mistaken, our youngest in their early teens. There seem to be two age peaks when looking at our members... one average is ~25 and the other one ~40.

You'll find the range of GII English version release dates in an announcement at the top of this forum.
Post Sat May 24, 2003 3:16 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Old Geezers. You summoned me? It's fun too read about someone discovering Gothic for the first time and taking the time to learn how to play it. Problem with reviewers is they don't take or have the time to really explore how to play the game. Of the 7 or so reviews I read only one even metioned the mouse controls, the others did not even know they existed. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out the controls, but a number of days to get good with them. Thats where most of the reviews slammed Gothic, which is rather sad, since the control system is really that, it is a system, not just point and click.
Post Sat May 31, 2003 5:40 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Mike Rotch :
Gothic has never gathered dust at my house lol. I've bought four or five games since I bought Gothic and I always seem to come back to it. Actually I deleted all the games off my PC except Gothic. Now I bought Indiana Jones and the Emerpor's Tomb, a good game, and am now playing Gothic again. Gothic was the best money I've ever invested on a game.

Same here man, same here. (except maybe I play more demo's then full version games)
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:19 pm
Exetor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Best money spent, I'll say!

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
Mike Rotch :
Gothic has never gathered dust at my house lol. I've bought four or five games since I bought Gothic and I always seem to come back to it. Actually I deleted all the games off my PC except Gothic. Now I bought Indiana Jones and the Emerpor's Tomb, a good game, and am now playing Gothic again. Gothic was the best money I've ever invested on a game.

Yea, I spent all of $6 on it! Best $6 bet in my life! I knew nothing about the game when I got the offer, was a little confused at first, but once I got those controls under my fingers the game took off!
Post Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:17 am
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Greetings to all

I am new to this board and I am glad to say what a fantastic board it is.
I myself like many, an old timer.
I am 38 yrs old and Gothic have to be one of the best game I've ever played in my life. Sometimes I would play Gothic 6-9 hrs straight on before I realize its already morning

Initially I was frustrated too with the control and almost gave up....well I hang on and never regret it since.

I remember the VERY FIRST rpg game I played { ahhhh those good old days} was Land Of Lore - Throne of chaos.

I got Indiana Jones and the Emperor's tomb as well
Wonderful game..tough...but really good.

At the moment in Gothic...I have done all the test for all three camps and I am at the final desicion making of which camp to join.

Man..this game is really good.
I initially started with Morrowind.....and then I discovered Gothic and since then..I couldnt leave Gothic. Morrowind however is still in my hard drive becoz I plan on finishing Morrowind, which I love, after I finish Gothic...then on to Gothic II...then hopefully, by then Night Of the raven english add on will be out
And I havent even started on Arx Fatalis and NWN

Boy..I will be a busy man LOL
My best regards to all
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:42 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Greetings Genghis!

Chances are you will have a lot of fun with Gothic II if you liked Gothic. My first CRPG was Lands of Lore Throne of Chaos as well (well, we're about the same age ).

So... if you liked Gothic, Morrowind, Lands of Lore and Indiana Jones, chances are good you'll like Arx Fatalis. Chances are good you won't like NWN (I liked all of the games you mentioned, with the exception of NWN). Then again... our tastes may differ after all!
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:02 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hey Jaz

Thanks you
WoW ! Throne of Chaos was great wans;t it !!!!

I take back my word....I don't think I will finish Gothic soon LOL Bcause once I finish..I will play gothic prob 2 times more because I wanna try out all 3 camps
Oh yeahhh....I heard people mentioning abt NWN..but I got it anyway because I am crazy abt Dungeon Siege and NWN is supposed to be similar...altho I didnt really manage to involve myself into the Baldur series....so I am not sure..I will give it a try.

I think I am more of a 3rd person/1 st person RPG type.
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:26 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hm, I didn't like Dungeon Siege, but I didn't like the Baldur's Gate games either (just like you I'm not a fan of isometric games - exception: I happen to like them if they are NOT fantasy-themed). But I agree - Throne of Chaos was terrific !
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:34 pm
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Wouuu!!!, I'm 22 and Thought that i was Old!! seems like i will have 1000 posts after all, My First RPG was Zelda, after it i played almost all rpg for the Super Nintendo i can/Found, it was a beautiful game, and The Best of all times Older Games, was Me Of Course, Chronno Trigger, The Best Story I Ever Played with 15 Different Endings, I even Shed a Tear Really Beautiful, Then my List Gothic, Gothic 2, Ocarina of Time, DS, etc
PS: I Really Loved CT
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:36 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

Hello CT

LOL , yes,...you most prob will have over 1000 post for sure....
I have not heard of Chronotrigger....is it a RPG or a FPS ?

I know exactly what you mean....certain games REALLY get me all emotional and blurry eyed Right now I can think of :

Mafia, Syberia, Vampire : Masquerade Redemption, Sanitarium (call me sick, but that game got a huge impact on me )
Games like these kinda bring out hidden and inner feelings LOL.

Gothic was fantastic..I feel for the nameless heroes and I can understand how I would feel if I was in his shoes. The old camp esp. is not different than the real world IMO....the basic rules here is Money talks./ore talks

BY the way...i just join Gomez. Just becoz I felt I owed it to Diego.
If no other reason, I much prefer New camp.
I absolutely hate Gomez and I can't stand Raven much either LOL

Perhaps when I finish this game, I will do another rounds with new camp and sect camp.

FOR GOMEZ !!
( pfffftt ...! )
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:53 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

OK i am a BIG-TIME computer game player. On Tuesday, Gothic I is going to arrive at my doorstep from the UPS man (its on priority mail). But before i play it, i will state that i didnt even hear about gothic before coming to RPGdot. anyway, i will give you my impressions of Gothic after a few hours of playing it. I am wondering if i will be like everybody else because i am a very finicky player and the game has got to be really really good for me to say "that game was really really good." BTW, my age is 29 (oh no, im almost thirty) and im a white male that lives for CRPGs and various other computer games (like BF1942 or Etherlords2, i play tons of games though). Umm, some of you know me, but this is just my first post in the Gothic boards area of rpgdot. Umm, and, umm, im straight, and umm, i quit smoking months ago, it was hard, and im glad i did it. And, umm, i lowered my cholesterol.. and my mom & dad is awesome, and i am schizoaffective but on good medication and umm, thats about as personal as i get...
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:04 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

and umm this is my 999th post!
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:05 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

WOOHOO !!! This is my 1000th post! Lets party!

Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next