Usergroups
Ah, the infinite varieties of Slime
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Hamsterlord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I love this game. Don't have any spare cash at the moment however, so I am trying to content myself with wandering the lower monastery in the demo.

Here are a few questions to all of you more experienced adventurers:

1) How the hell do I get that safe in the upper level open??? Is that something that I am not able to do in the demo? If it is, why isn't there a note attatched to it, like there is on everything else I can't do?

2) Is there an easier way to get past that nasty Swallower? And why does it say that one of my members is missing, only to have him turn up when the monster blows up with some witty remark or other? And why does it stop telling me how many hit points it has left halfway through the fight?

3) Is there a level cap on the demo? Or can I sit here pacing back and forth blasting slimes until I hit 50? (Currently at 7-

4) Exactly HOW MANY slime varieties ARE there? I am seeing Level 9-10 slimes here.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:16 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-03-20 19:16, Hamsterlord wrote:
1) How the hell do I get that safe in the upper level open??? Is that something that I am not able to do in the demo? If it is, why isn't there a note attatched to it, like there is on everything else I can't do?

There is a skull statue room with a trap door. Without standing on the trap door, click on the head. A recessed area will open to reveal the safe key.
quote:

2) Is there an easier way to get past that nasty Swallower? And why does it say that one of my members is missing, only to have him turn up when the monster blows up with some witty remark or other? And why does it stop telling me how many hit points it has left halfway through the fight?

You have to kill it to get past it. When a party member is missing that means they have been swallowed. The reason it probably stopped telling you the hits points is because the character that had the knowledge of that was swallowed.
quote:

3) Is there a level cap on the demo? Or can I sit here pacing back and forth blasting slimes until I hit 50? (Currently at 7-

There is a cap at 10 I think.
quote:

4) Exactly HOW MANY slime varieties ARE there? I am seeing Level 9-10 slimes here.

Too many.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:25 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I beat the Swollower kinda cheesily...it's very hard to beat. It swollowed my fighter, but I slept it first, and then later on paralyzed it and then just beat on it until it was dead....actually to open the fight I initiated combat before it did, and got a max-level fireball off on it

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:57 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

You will meet so many fo them...
For exapmle amadant (or something like that) slimes are blue and when you hit them it sounds like you hit a stone and with my best fighter that does around 250 damage in one round I was able to do them max. 10 damage in one round and they have so many hit points .

Of course I am talking about full version .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-21 01:40 ]
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Danicek, I think the word your looking for is adamantium, which they stole from the X-men.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:50 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, you are right.

Adamantium slimes
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:04 am

Well, you can add Wizards of the Coast to the literary filching list as well. Adamantine is a word now bandied about in their D&D 3rd Edition books, as is "mithral"... oh, but of course that's *completely* different from Professor J. R. R. Tolkien's "Mithril". [snorts]

I concur with my colleagues: there's a whole lotta slimes in this world. And I can't say as *I* would care to have the job of cataloging them. I do have a related question, though.

During the demo, there were several instances where I ran into a red, pulsating slime that I *think* was called a succubus slime. It was NASTY. Thing musta been 300 HPs if it was an ounce... [gestures wildly with arms]... and I always ran into the thing when I was half dead and outta magic points! So I'd have to run off and camp (or reload a saved game), and by the time I'd get back the critter'd be long gone.

So just how tough IS one of those things? Enquiring minds wanna know...
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:27 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

They have a variety of annoying attacks, nauseate, sleep, etc. They weren't too bad if your party has spells to counter the effects. Since that slime is usually alone it wasn't to hard to take out.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:45 pm

I ran into a Succubus slime once. It was a hard kill, but I think I managed to take it out. Either that, or it killed one of my members, and I promptly reloaded. Don't remember. But it kept shooting these red balls of slime at me, which were really nasty.

Worst slime I have run into so far is this simply enormous one that I found just outside the Swallower room. This was about 2 game days after the Swallower was already dead, and the game was over. I beleive it was called an "Emerald" slime. It had somewhere around 150-200 HP. It took up the entire hallway. But, since that lizardman fighter was in front, and I kept all my more vulnerable guys back behind him, I just kept casting guardian angel on him, and the slime was too dumb to attack anyone else. Easy kill.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:38 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Adamntium slimes are not very dangerous. They do not do enough damage.
But they can be dangerous when your party has not enough stamina. Because fight with one adamantium slime takes maybe 10 minuts of gameplay and when you fight two of them, some of your character fall uncoustiuous.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:06 pm

Oooh, yeah... Emerald Slimes. Not to be confused with The Emerald Isle (Ireland), but damn near as big.

Ran into number of them playing the demo. Usually managed to kill 'em without losing anybody. But it's funny how that Succubus Slime was always one step ahead of me. Knew *exactly* when I was in a world of hurt and would pounce (is that possible for a slime?) on me like a duck on a junebug.

Oh, but when I was full health and rarin' to go, it's like that thing was suddenly on Spring Break somewhere.

Think I'll talk to my alchemist about whipping up some super glue at our next rest stop.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:36 am