Cannot enter the Orc portal
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cannot enter the Orc portal

Could anybody help me out? I've killed the guards in front of the portal, acquired the statue, but now i don't seem to be able to open the gate.
i even went through a walkthrough which says 'use the statue on the switch', which i did, but nothing happened (i open the inventory, select the statue and while standing in front of the switch i pres alt+w to use it).

i haven't used the ulu-mulu, nor do i have the orc teleport, since i got to the portal gate very soon - wandering around the mountains and falling down right in front of it. i hope it's not a bug caused by the fact i haven't talked to ur-shak beforehand...
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:49 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

just use the switch, not the statue
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:14 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there oni-kage,

First, welcome to the forums,

Yes Kriksa is correct, also Ur-shak is the one who tells you of the two entry methods, statue or spell, there is also a trigger in Ur-shaks dialogue, to open gate (with winch) so it would have been better to have a talk with him.
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:11 pm
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ta for the welcome, Wulf.

well, if Kriksa is correct, what do i need the statue for? i wonder if were're talking about the same thing - actually there's a lever, not a switch. and when i try to pull it, it says that the lever won't move (no matter whether i got the statue or not).
i also tried returning to Ur-shak, but he didn't offer any other advice to me (apart from the ulu-mulu quest which i didn't undertake as i already had all the orcs killed and didn't need no mumbo jumbo

the walkthrough says i should meet Ur-shak near a bridge (at the orc camp probably). but he's not there. it also mentions that the winch in the orc camp should be usable later in the game, but it isn't (because i ain't got no ulu-mulu, i guess).
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:07 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k oni-kage,

Your assumptions are correct, there is in fact two dialogues with Ur-shak.

The first part opens the gate with winch, the second pull lever with idol, the second will not work till after Xardas tells you to investigate the underground orc temple (after first saving Ur-shaks life then go to Xardas, then the mine in the hollow, then back to Urshack)
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:30 pm
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks for your attention, so here's my progress: i tried talking to Xardas who didn't tell me anything new so i talked to Saturas who sent me to talk to Xardas (after my character failed to tell him the truth about the ore mound). of course, another chit-chat with Xardas didn't help. but i met Riordian and thus i set up for the Free Mine with Gorn (i'd already been there ages before - although i hadn't managed to open the main gate). so we cleaned up the mine and i went to see the orc camp again. what a surprise - Ur-shak is finally on his second stand and he even reveals how to enter the portal (noting i already got the figurine).
but heck - none of it works! the lever next to the gate is still stuck and the orc teleport spell i cannot find (searched all the chests in both caves in the camp).

yeah, and the winch is still stuck (i always pass it with the meat bug transformation spell).
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:26 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Well oni-kage,

You seemed to have jumped far too fast into the game, or put it another way, you've gone ahead of the dialogue instead of with it, Mmm - - can you not go back to a previously saved game? - - otherwise as it stands you may have to use cheats, but this can have disadvantages later, by the way, how did you get the ingredients (4) for the ulu-mulu? if you did not get beyond the free mine gate, only Gorn will give you the key. If this is your first run through the game it would be a shame to cheat by using marvin mode, or did you already cheat? (ulu-mulu) did you not talk to Krushak? if this was done in the correct order the gates and levers would all have worked properly.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:06 am
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i've made it! you were right with the ulu-mulu, Wulf. it's silly, but i really could not enter the orc portal without it.
once i got it (although i didn't need it for all the orcs were pushing up daisies for "many winters" already), everything went fine: the game switched to act 5, the winch became usable and so had the lever. from then on it was a cakewalk.
i must admit i've been quite sick of the game at the end, why, so much trouble just because i didn't follow the script's precise lines. so much for the unlinearity and freedom of action brag!

hm, let's see if the second part has anything new to offer...
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:53 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there oni-kage,

Glad to hear you got to ch-5. Yes what you say about first timers is very true, although myself and many other gamers say after several times playing gothic that it becomes clear what to do, also there is the other point many veteran gothic players make, that is they always find something new that they hadn't noticed before.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:20 pm
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, i've started playing Gothic II but with it came a demo for Arx Fatalis which i hadn't heard of before and i was so amazed by it that i played this demo instead of Gothic which now seems like a kid's game (compared to Arx). doan even know whether there's a full version of it yet, but if they manage to debug some minor issues, it's a sure blast!

hey, the spell casting system, almost like in Dungeon Master!
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:59 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Arx was released 2 years ago. Arx 2 is in production. It uses Half Life 2īs Source engine.
We even have our own site for Arx.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:50 am
oni-kage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, in the end i was a lil bit disappointed by Arx... it's too straight forward and let's you choose little what to do. there're some nasty bugs as well, but hell, the overall atmosphere and some of the ideas are great!

say, wouldn't it be great if you could control the strength of the spells by drawing huge/slow or small/fast-sketched runes?
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:59 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Oni-kage,

I also played Arx' and found it to be as you decribed. Never did quite get into that spell casting, i always choose fighter mode in rpg's (where i can).

I hope G2 lets you see the difference, how it progressed from Gothic, and more importantly, how G3 will develope - - - ?
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:31 pm
enodenroH
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Cant enter sleeper temple.

quote:
Originally posted by oni-kage
i've made it! you were right with the ulu-mulu, Wulf. it's silly, but i really could not enter the orc portal without it.
once i got it (although i didn't need it for all the orcs were pushing up daisies for "many winters" already), everything went fine: the game switched to act 5, the winch became usable and so had the lever. from then on it was a cakewalk.

I'm having the exact problem you had right now.
I'll go get the ingredients for the Ulu Mulu just in case it "fixes" the game like it did to you.

I'm crossing my fingers.
I hope it works because I wanna be ready for Gothic 3, having already completed the second one.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:33 am