Gamer Murdered Over Virtual Sword
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Gamer Murdered Over Virtual Sword

Gaming just became even more dangerous as this news report from Shanghai illustrates:<BR>
<BR>
<!--StartFragment --> <!--StartFragment -->
<P class=storyBodyInitial> </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE><i>
<P class=storyBodyInitial>A SHANGHAI online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the <I>China Daily</I> said today.</P>The incident creates a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.
<P>Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre", used in the popular online game <I>Legend of Mir 3</I>, the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told yesterday.</P>
<P class=storyBodyInitial><i></i> </P></i></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P class=storyBodyInitial><i>Read the full story <A href="http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12700877-13762,00.html" target=_blank>Here.</A></P></i>
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:36 am
Dr. A

Sheesh

Morons..nuff said

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:38 am

AssCannon

LOL!
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:32 am

Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Sounds more like a April's Folls Day joke to me, but the article at news.com.au is posted March 30th... Weird.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:33 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Idiots! It's just a freakin' game, get a life!

I've lost so many valuable items in World of Warcraft and you don't see me killing people for that!
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:52 am
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

PWNED!
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:25 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well some boy also took a dive out of the window thinking he was superman...
These events make the government and some parents to believe that the virtual fantasy worlds are dangerous to some minds.
Since it is not possible to know who can be affected, they try to keep people away from these virtual fantasy worlds. ( Well not just video games, also movies, books...) Like banning of certain games/books/movies.
This makes people like me upset, because I just play/watch/read for fun and the last thing I need is being prevented from having fun.

Well about the item theft all I have to say that as long as hackers exist and have the free will, knowledge, power and desire to hack something, they just simply will.

Its like the thievery problem in real life. No matter what hi-tech security you have an expert thief with skills and knowledge can bypass them and rob your provisions.

Basically the protection technology is either not advanced, or humans are just better than machines, software, etc.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

One must put the fact into perspective:

(1) We are talking an Asian society and culture that does NOT hold the same respect and honor for life as is the norm for our Western culture.

(2) Life is damned cheap in their culture - I know - I spent some time in fighting against them - the things they came up with to "entertain" us westerners are not the kind of thing I should think anyone would wish me to go into detail about. Again - bottom line - life is cheap!!

(3) The Asian idea of "face" is theirs - few "barbarians" (as the Japanese historically like to call Europeans and Americans) - it's something hard to describe - but also something I understand from my old days when the U.S. Army sent me on a vacationto Vietnam:-)
Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:45 pm