Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, Book 11)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Again, suffering from the 'not doing enough in the past two books' thing. Kind of makes you wonder who has done anything in the past two books...

Somebody did something in the last 2 books? Are you sure we are talking about the same books, Xen, because I think one of us may be mistaken ... As far as I remember nothing whatsover has happened in the books from A Crown of Swords on ...

Btw, I actually agre with you on most characters.

As far as battle go, involving the power or not, I am still baffeled at Jordan's inability to write a descent battle scene, as we have not had one around for ages. I know that this is not the focus of the books, battle I mean, but when I have pages and pages and pages of descriptions of everybody's dresses. Buying cloth for dresses. The constant sniffs, snorts, mean looking at each other, almost falling off their folding chairs. and other stuff like this, Not to mention all the ploting and scheming, and planning of things, and so on, I am at least expecting something of quality, not a chapter where everybody's point of view changes so fast, I can't gather from whos's PoV am I reading, and even less of what's going on. A only a short stub of the the outcome being given by a 3rd or 4th grade character to one of the leads.

Jordan needs a half-descent edtior, not Hariet, for Heaven's sake, and hopefully, this time he'll get it.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:26 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Somebody did something in the last 2 books?

Rand has 3 wives now! Does that count?

quote:
As far as I remember nothing whatsover has happened in the books from A Crown of Swords on ...

A Crown of Swords blew me away. I would agree that the later books have been really weak compared to that one.

quote:
As far as battle go, involving the power or not, I am still baffeled at Jordan's inability to write a descent battle scene, as we have not had one around for ages.

This is why you need to read Malazan Book of the Fallen. Exciting battle-scenes, interesting characters and lands rich with detail.

My favorite characters are...

Min and Mat. I find the increasing insanity of Rand to be one of the few themes that really holds the series together. Lan was my favorite in the early novels. Now that he and Nyaeneve are married, his chapters are boring. It appears that the more legendary Forsaken have already been disposed of.

The Seanchan fascinate me. I am hoping for more encounters with them in the final novels.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:58 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually, almost none of the more intesting Forsaken has been disposed. But actually, as it is is very nice, the rest of them having more on-screen time

You'll have to remind me what has happened in ACOS. There has been so much NOTHING going on, that I tend to forget what did not happen in each book.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:41 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:

You'll have to remind me what has happened in ACOS. There has been so much NOTHING going on, that I tend to forget what did not happen in each book.

Here is a recap of the series in .pdf format...

http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Knife_of_Dreams/DM_WoT_Recap.pdf

And here is the Wheel of Time Character Archive...

http://www.netspace.net.au/~dmt/wot/

Same info in Index format...

http://www.dragonmount.com/Char_Index/

As you can see, there are at least 1700 named characters in the series. I don't think any of us can keep all the plotlines and characters 100% fresh in our minds!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:49 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They do blur together... which book did they break the Dark One's hold over the weather in? Was that Crown of Swords or Winter's Heart? That was an important thing to do.

Then in Winter's Heart Rand and Nyaeneve cleansed the Source. That's certainly an important thing to do as well... although I think Rand has damaged his ability to channel while doing so. The male sa'angreal wasn't finished, tested, or had its limits placed on it to protect the channeler, after all, so I guess he's lucky he's the Dragon Reborn or he'd be a cinder (my fiance, however, believes his dizziness and weakness when seizing the source is because of his bond to Elayne, who feels similar if she channels too much due to her pregnacy).

Crossroads featured the reaction to cleansing the source... but it's told from the point of view of a lot of the non-channelers so that gets overshadowed a bit. Still, the Aes Sedai reaction to the half they could sense ... Nyaeneve going full out with all the power she could handle from the female sa'angreal... was appropriate. Always fun to see an 'ancient', 'wise', and 'serene' order basically screaming 'oh god what the hell is THAT?? We're dead!'. I liked Crossroads because it sets a lot up to be resolved... it just lacked a lot of resolution in and of itself (which is a little frustrating).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:05 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
They do blur together... which book did they break the Dark One's hold over the weather in? Was that Crown of Swords or Winter's Heart? That was an important thing to do.

I think it was Winter's Heart.

quote:
Then in Winter's Heart Rand and Nyaeneve cleansed the Source.

I knew she had a more functional purpose then pulling on her braid and chasing Lan!
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Eh? She serves a lot more purposes than those two (though it's hard to remember with her non-existant role in Crossroads). If I recall correctly she's the only Aes Sedai of this age who has faced a Chosen one-on-one and beat them. Or was that Egwene? I was pretty sure it was Nyanaeve.

She's also useful for scolding people into acting. Mat and Perrin need her badly right now...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:28 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

It was Nyneave who has beaten a chosen one on one /my personal favorite Chosen, Moghedien. And twice, though Egwene was a lot more harsh with her when she was captured . But then again, Moiraine blew one Chosen (welcome abord the Forsaken express, Xen ) straight into oblivion *Be-Laal* and a supposedly finished off the 2nd most powerful of them, and I just forgot her name. Sh*t, she is even one of my fav character of all time.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:55 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Well, yes... Moraine has an impressive kill record. She cheats, though, by using balefire (the bane of the series. I hate it.) or pushing them through Plot Holes.

Mind you, a lot of characters dissappear into Plot Holes in WoT. It's a dangerous place. If you're lucky you claw your way out of a Plot Hole several books later.

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:31 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Well, yes... Moraine has an impressive kill record. She cheats, though, by using balefire (the bane of the series. I hate it.) or pushing them through Plot Holes.

Mind you, a lot of characters dissappear into Plot Holes in WoT. It's a dangerous place. If you're lucky you claw your way out of a Plot Hole several books later.

I loved the first-time they used Balefire in the series.

Hopefully, we see more battles in Knife of Dreams and the final book.

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:47 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

And hopefully, if they are as bad as those of the last few books, we won't.
Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:01 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Maybe Rand will open a gateway to a point just behind himself and balefire himself through it. The paradox should utterly destroy the universe.

"He cast balefire through the gateway and erased his existence which means he never created the portal which means he couldn't have balefired himself but if he didn't balefire himself he created a portal and used balefire thus erasing his existence so he never created a portal and couldn't have used balefire on himself and oh bugger I've gone crosseyed." - Reality.

I hope nothing too cheesy happens. No balefiring of either the Dark One or the Dragon Reborn, please. No cosmic reset buttons allowed!

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:35 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I am in great and immediate need for serious help.

Yesterday, I got the excerp from the prequel of Knife of Dreams that is included in the (US? I may be mistaken) paperback version of New Spring The Novel.

Gladly, there may be some hope. Yet. First of all, I got it in PDF format (though it is a bad scan, I admit I have absolutely no intention to get a new NStN since I already have the UK hardback version). Secondly, I have still not read it, mainly because it is all about Galad and the Whitecloacks and I have already read a rather large and spoilery summary of it.
Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:00 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Well, I got the whole prologue, and I can share impressions.

First of all, let me mention that in the prologue, which is, in case somebody still does not know, entitled Embers Falling on Dry Grass, there are Point of View chapter that are as follows :

1 - Galad - the half-brother of Elayne and Rand, who has joined up with the Whitecloacks
2 - Rodel Ituralde - the commander of the Arad Doman army
3 - the High Lady Suroth - the Darkfriend leader of the Seanchan since book 4 (de facto since the end of book 2, but she was not mentioned until book 4)
4 - Pevara - one of the Black Adja Hunters in the White Tower
5 - Alviarin - the leader of the Black Adja
6 - Galina - the one who attempted the kidnapping Rand that resulted in Dumai's Wells, and is currently
7 - Egwene - who is the leader of the rebel Aes Sedai and was kidnapped at the supposedly "big" cliff-hanger ending of the last book, Crossroads of Twillight

I am aware that only die-hard fans would probably know even half of the names, so I added a small reminder of who they are. Note that by "currently" I mean at the start of Book 11, since there are some major power shuffles in the prologue only.

About the prologue itself - it has little change since the last book. I admit that so far I managed to read only 3 parts of it (the Suroth, Alvarin and Egwene parts) and while they are not bad, they keep the most prominent features of the last several books - too long, too much nothing happens. Some may argue that this time round Bobby has managed to write something indeed in the prologue, but I completely disagree. All the things that happen are of the CoT varety, i.e of the nothing kind.

At least there are no dressed in the whole chapter (about 60 pages if I am not mistaken), but Elayne and Tuon are not present either, so this is no fair indication that this time we will be spared Hariet's editing and, hopefully, be blessed with a real editor

I am still looking forward to the book in October - November, but my hopes are still pretty low.
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:06 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:

At least there are no dressed in the whole chapter (about 60 pages if I am not mistaken), but Elayne and Tuon are not present either, so this is no fair indication that this time we will be spared Hariet's editing and, hopefully, be blessed with a real editor

I am still looking forward to the book in October - November, but my hopes are still pretty low.

Check this out...

In answer to if Crossroads of Twighlight is the calm before the storm...

“You’ll be sweatin’ before you finish Knife of Dreams.”-Jordan

http://www.dragonmount.com/News/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1122062759&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3&

I hope so, as the last book was soooooooo boring!
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next