Usergroups
Gothic 2 addon DNDR in english...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I know everything about mIRC and MSN, but I just prefer Yahoo Messenger, specially that I may be found almost all the time on it.

And you know that Yahoo Messenger allows chats, like mIRC and MSN allows!
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:14 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

So, it's possible to force the German add-on onto the English version? What about glitches? Remember that the add-on also affects the Gothic 2 content, e.g. new quests, characters and dialogues.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:55 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, it is, and even if the install transform everything from initial Gothic 2 in german (i mean all the texts), it's very tsable.

Regarding this transformation, you don't have to worry about it, I've already transfered almost all the text from Gothic 2 english version back in addon's install
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:16 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, I might consider joining the process of translation under certain circumstances and if there's still a need.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:30 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

There's always a need, and the more we are, the better!
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:38 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Regarding installing the German addon over the English ver.

Cothyso,

Good progress is being made and I don't want to discourage that.

However, I think that maybe what Spunoir is worried about is unforseen software glitches or bugs that may result from using Gothic 2 in this unsupported way (i.e. installing German Addon-On over the English version).

For example, things may appear to work superficially, but once we dig deeper into the game there may be quest bugs or any number of incompatibility issues that may arise.

So far it appears that you have done the following:

1. Installed the German Add-On over the English (UK or USA?) version
2. The addon apparrently changes the existing install to a German
version -- voices and text are changed back to German (is this correct?)
3. You have copied the original English text back into the new hybrid
German-addon/English G2 installation. This text covers all of the
"base" Gothic 2 content.

4. The translation project will attempt to translate the *new* German content
back into English.

So am I correct in that if all this goes well, we should be able to order *Only the add-on* and install that over our English versions (with tweaks). I just want to clarify that the full German version will not be needed.

A final point I'd like to make is that maybe it would *safer* to actually install the german version and then the addon. Then, transform the text to English from there. We can get all the "base" English stuff for free from the English version and we are working on the add-on stuff now.

The only drawback is that we would loose the English voices, but it seems like we are losing that anyway. It doesn't matter to me either way, I am more than happy with just the sub-titles and the German Voice acting sounded a bit better anyway.

Lots of comments here, but the overriding theme is that I think we should be careful when trying to intermix these products that were not meant to go together. Again, I could be all wrong. So far, PB has done the right thing and kept localization completely modular and de-coupled from the game logic. If this is true, what is going on now should theoretically work -- even if PB does not support it.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:08 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

No Problem

As long as the German text is translated it doesn't matter, it'll be piece of cake, even for me to fix so that if there's any bugs installing it over the english version, it's just to take all text and go over the german gold edition, and what not, the only drawback would be if some people buy the addon, and experiance problems, but that's NO Problem either more Gothic sold can never be a bad thing!!!!!

So just translate it :O No problem at all.

Let me say I'm very excited about this project!, you guys rule
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:20 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, you don't have to worry about that.

The german addon comes with it's own complete files, replacing everything from Gothic 2 english version. Basically all the scripts and everything is replaced with new ones, containing everything the addon added.

To put back the english texts i used gothic 2 mdk, which contains all the scripts of addons' version 2.6 (which is the latest patch of the addon), parsed them looking for ID's of strings which are EXACTLY the same as in gothic 2, and replaced only those with the ones from gothic 2.

It may seem complicated, and it really is (only I know how much hard work on scrpting i did to locate, extract and inject back those texts), but the final result is very solid: it's EXACTLY the same things as german addon installed on german version of the game.

Also, because we do have that mdk, we can also fix bugs which weren't yet fixed, rebalance the game (as i heard many complaining that the dragons were pretty easy meet in gothic 2 next to the big end boss from gothic 1) and even add new things in it.

basically they gived all the tools needed to modify their game or create a new one basedon their engine.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:22 pm
Da_Trollswanger
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Acording to a post on www.bluesnews.com they dont think they will ever release the English G2 addon. Atari will not respond.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:09 pm
amos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The post on bluesnews was just a repost of what went up here yesterday. Nothing new... move along.

One other thing, if this translation effort really does come along well, I know I'd be willing to try it. In some ways I'd probably prefer hearing the German voices than those affected americanized ones. It sounds like I'm not alone. If someone has contacts with Gogamer they might want to let them know there might be market for a few German imports of the add-on, just like the British imports of G2. I know I'd rather order through them than through a German website, especially if I have to call Germany to correct my mailing address.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:23 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by cothyso
Well, you don't have to worry about that.

The german addon comes with it's own complete files, replacing everything from Gothic 2 english version. Basically all the scripts and everything is replaced with new ones, containing everything the addon added.

To put back the english texts i used gothic 2 mdk, which contains all the scripts of addons' version 2.6 (which is the latest patch of the addon), parsed them looking for ID's of strings which are EXACTLY the same as in gothic 2, and replaced only those with the ones from gothic 2.

basically they gived all the tools needed to modify their game or create a new one basedon their engine.

Okay cool. You have allayed my concerns. I develop software for a living (and used to test it), so I sometimes have a tendency to think about the "gotchas" too much.

BTW, I was able to order the German addon from "softunity.com". They apparently handle on-line orders for Koch Media products:

http://www.softunity.com//ECD546003D/rid051394745476111513202027/

I used babelfish (babelfish.altavista.com) to translate the prompts and filled in all the appropriate info. There were no warnings given about shipping to the USA (it was available on their shipping options) so I thnk everything went okay.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 pm
amos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

glad to hear of another source. I'll wait a bit and see when you get it. If it does go well, I might just jump in and get it (and a German-English dictionary).
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:42 pm
Blake
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic II Addon

Hi!

Bad news concerning the addon. I've talked with Plex if there will be an english version of the addon (Nacht des Raben), and he said that's a very difficult question. Many political problems are here within and it's not sure if there will be ever an english addon. this is out of the hands of JoWooD and Atari doesn't respond. Seems that the addon is temporary on ice or it died long before.

sorry guys
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:49 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Whailor, was it Rollenspielshop.de?

Yes, that was the shop. Really helpful people, gave answers fast and well. Can suggest, personal experience was good.

Anyways, I cannot translate from german to english, but I can do the overreading and I do volunteer to test this and report back any bugs or issues Just drop me a PM.

Elkston: no worries, I personally have installed german add-on on english G2 (with russian translation) and it works well. Of course, it's tad strange, to hear original G2 dialogues (mostly) in english, see subtitles in russian, and add-on voices all in german, with russian titles 3 language babel tower, but, it works well. I have had no far NO glitches of any kind, it works very well.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:58 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Whailor, I'll send you some files for testing, but i need you to meet me on yahoo messenger.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:58 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next