Obsidian forums to close?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Obsidian forums to close?

Feargus Urquhart has signalled the potential closure of Obsidian's forums in <a href="http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?act=announce&f=2&id=1" target="_blank">this</a> announcement:<blockquote><em>I have personally gotten a lot of e-mail lately about the fact that I have not been posting a lot and neither has much of anyone else from Obsidian. We all have our excuses; one of mine is that my wife and I had our second child recently.
<br>
<br>Our largest problem is that we do not have a full time community manger here at Obsidian who can answer questions for most of the day and handle posters that are only trying to disrupt discussion.
<br>
<br>So, unfortunately, we are considering closing the forums either temporarily until we can afford to hire a community manger or possibly permanently.
<br>
<br>We should be making the decision within the next week.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Feargus Urquhart
<br>CEO
<br>Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:29 pm
Funktion
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was wondering why they never made any statement regarding the extremely low quality of the soundtrack files on the PC version, and after this I guess they never will.

This seems the way they handle criticism, not addressing them, but by simply shutting down the place where people could express it. I've visited their forums a few times (though never posted), in search of an answer regarding that audio "issue" and news on a future patch, and while there's a few "trolls" posting useless insults (like in every forum) there's also lots of people who have legitimate issues with the game, and I haven't seen a single PR of the company trying to answer one single question. I bet things would be much "quiet" there if they didn't release a game with known issues (just read the readme file of the game to see what I mean), especially when it comes to PC users who have ATI graphic cards.

It's unfortunate the PC market is starting to look like the console market, but instead of PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube we seem to have two different "products" available: users with Nvidia cards and users with ATI cards. One of these days, instead of the current trend of having games "optimized" for one of the cards (meaning, games run like cr** on users of the rival company, if at all), we will probably have games being exclusive to users of a certain graphic card company.
The games industry is really in a sad state...
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:49 pm