Some more questions on this game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some more questions on this game

Thanks Val, Dteowner, and otter for your help in the last question I asked about the Umpani/T'rang alliance. It all worked out. Now, here's the deal. First off, I got some weapons questions. In my party, I have a Lord, a Fighter, and a Ninja that all have pretty good weapons (Bloodlust, Fang, and the Staff of Doom respectively). Now, I was wondering if the Ivory blade is better than the first two swords, and if the vampire chain is better than the staff. Currently, I see that the weapons I have do more damage and allow me to attack more, but.....two of the weapons are cursed, not allowing long range, and the ivory blade says that it causes more damage (which its not). Because the total for the three weapons is 300000 dollars, I was wondering if I should get rid of them or keep them because I'm not seeing something. Help would be appreciated. Another thing, I am at the game's end, but how (Lvls 22-23 and at Ascension Peak), but I don't want to take the time to discover how to get past the Rapax Block. Any info on that or any other upcoming obstacles would be nice so I can actually battle the Savant and see the ending (don't spoil any special surprises though). Lastly, this is a question about the running of the game, for some reason, awhile back, my game had an error occur. At that time, it completely erased my current game (good thing I had a backup) and messed up some of the other stuff (like meeting certain characters). Is this a problem with the game or just my game? I can give much more detail if anyone needs it to help answer this question, thanks.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:53 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The crash you're getting at AP is well documented if you aren't using the latest patch (v1.2.4 released 12-23). If you're aleady patched, then you might have some corrupt files, which would entail a reinstall.

I like the Ivory Blade. I would take it over Bloodlust in a second since it's not cursed, particularly in the hands of a fighter that already has the berserk ability supplied by Bloodlust. The vampire chain has some good aspects, but the big stamina drain would need to be offset. That's pretty much up to your judgement.

Since the Rapax blocked the entrance to AP, perhaps the Rapax leadership has a way to get around it... Rapax are terribly lazy beasts, so the King probably wouldn't want to go too far from his room to access it.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:00 am
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Problem: I already killed the Rapax King.
I use the bloodlust for my lord, who doesn't have the berserk ability. The ivory blade takes away more per attack, but with the bloodlust, my lord attacks 3x when he attacks and about 2-3 times per turn. With ivory blade, he attacks twice per turn. If I could attack 3x per attack w/ Ivory Blade, everything would be great! The Fang is better than the ivory blade though? Thanks anyways.
P.S. I don't remember downloading a patch, but I think this is a game error.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

First, when you fire up the game, the title screen will have a version number in the corner. You want it to be 1.2.4. They've released disks now that have the patch already included, so you might not need a download to get the correct version. Check your screen, or even the "readme" files.

Second, killing the King doesn't matter. Visiting his chambers in the Castle might be a good idea, though.

I don't remember the exact details of Fang and the Ivory Blade enough to be certain which is better. I'd say they're close enough that either one will get the job done. Your reasoning with Bloodlust is just fine- go with it.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:30 am
otter
One of Us

and i would definately keep the staff for the ninja if you've been using staves so far and your weapon skill is low in mace.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:28 am
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok, I have a lot of questions regarding the "Rapax King's Chamber." I'd like direct answers for this so I can just finish everything. First off, in one of the rooms, there is a keyhole on the East side of the wall, where do I find that key/what is it called. Second, I found the room that has what I think is a teleporter with an area I cannot get into and a non-functioning portal, where do I get anything to open the doors/activate portal. I have four letters I found, (Smudge note, queen note, etc.) all for deposits, where do I deposit them? Up by the zoo, near the Prince's Playroom, there is another door directly opposite, I cannot get into one of the Rooms because I need an item, what is it and how do I get it? In the same room as the Keyhole in the East, there is a "shimmer in the wall" which I know is some type of holograph, next to it there is a pole to put an item in, what do I put there and how do I get it? Also, how do I get the treasure stored on the Main Level, and lastly, what do I do in the Prison cells where that one prisoner dug a hole? It leads to a place with a ladder, but there is nothing to do once you are there. I would appreciate full detailed answers to ALL of the questions I have. I REALLY NEED TO FINISH! Thanks a lot.
P.S. I am having some type of problem with Vi. I just had her come back in my party, and we are at Rapax Castle (teleported to get her there). All her stats have gone down dramatically, but she has no cursed or inhibiting items on, and no disease. Are her stats down because she is in a place she doesn't like?? Thanks for the answers to everything and I'll really really appreciate it. Thanks!
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:28 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Lots of questions...

1) the keyhole in the wall of the King's chambers leads to the teleporter I hinted at earlier. It opens with the King's key. I'm not certain I remember where you get that key, but I think it's in the King's map room, which you can access from the Prince's room on the roof. This is the only thing you MUST do to get to the end of the game.

2) The "shimmer" is actually a one way door out of the King's chambers. The four letters are deposit slips that go into that "pole" you mentioned opposite the shimmer. Those are the only way to access the treasure room (you can't get in directly). Put each slip into the slot and out will pop an item. I think you'll notice that several of your questions are all going to tie together here...

3) one of the items you'll get (above) is the Queen's key. The will open the door in the queen's chamber that you can't get into right now. In there, among other things, is a "black rod", which looks strangely like the piece that is missing out of the Queen's teleporter. Put it in to activate a portal back to Arnika (largely useless at this point in the game).

4) As I remember, the escape tunnel leads nowhere.

5) When you take an RPC into an area they don't like, they suffer penalties to their skills. It's like a hex, but there's nothing you can do about it other than getting him/her/it out of the zone.

6) Oops, last one- the door opposite the Prince's room opens with the "Porticullis key" It gives you access to the gate leading to the King and Queen's chambers. Other than a convenient shortcut, there's no big reason to do it.

I think that's everything. Enjoy! BTW, using the King's key on that little keyhole can be a bit frustrating. The "hotzone" you have to hit with the key is rather small. It will work, so keep after it.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:43 am
otter
One of Us

#3: "Ornate Metal Rod"

#4: comes out under Ferro's lift. You can leave the lift up and have a shortcut here (relatively useless)

#6: if you raise the portcullis, the way to the royal suite gets much shorter. To get the key, stand in the target on the raised bit in front of the portcullis, and the key will be raised up, i think in the hall behind you there.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:32 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

king's key

#1 Look in the Prince's Room for something you can move, when you drop down the key was in the map room it was called the king's apartment key, I was just there a few days ago. You might not want this advice, but savor the remaining parts of the game before it is over! And Ascension Peak after this isn't a cake walk, but a whole level unto itself
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:02 am
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I can't figure out how to move the bed! I know the room to the King's Map Room is below the bed, but I can't get in! JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!!!! Thanks!
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:12 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

animation

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
P
A
G
E
Ok, calm down. Remember the statue in front of the bed? Walk around the statue and examine it closely. There is a key in the back. Click on it and wind it up, then walk in front of the statue and click the spear and watch it move the bed a little out of the way. Then jump down and the key is in the room on a table with other stuff on it. Then you are on your way!!!
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:25 pm
Firestorm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank you very much shrewgirl. I went into Arnika Tower, and deactivated the bomb. Now, after I enter that portal and go back to arnika, how do I take care of that wall the Rapax set up??! I figured someone or something would lead me to it. Give me some hints one what to do, I wanna see the end of the game!!
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:32 pm
otter
One of Us

you use that key from the map room to open the trophy rack (really tiny keyhole--you have to get next to the wall to get to it) and use the mirroporter in there to take you to the Peak.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:10 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

teleport to ascension peak

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
P
A
G
E
Remember the alter of al-sedexus? behind it is doorway, go thru and in that room is a portal to ascension peak, but you need the rapax rift key to open it once there. Same room you can recruit Sexus who is waiting for Ferro.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

otter, we're getting sloppy! shrewgirl has come in and corrected us! The bad part is that she's 100% correct

Thanks to shrewgirl for giving firestorm the correct answer to his question, while the local "experts" were having a collective brain fade...
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:44 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next