IWD2, Arx Fatalis or Divine Divinity?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

IWD2, Arx Fatalis or Divine Divinity?

I'm trying to decide which of those 3 RPGs I should buy next. I need something to fill the void but I don't have time to play all 3 right now.

I'm really torn between these 3... I loved BG, BG2 and NWN (although I was slightly disappointed with the NWN single player), which warms me to IWD2. That being said, I loved Ultima Underworld and Shadow of Yserbius, and Arx Fatalis looks like it could be a sort of Underworld for 2002 And then there's Divine Divinity, the wildcard

Any suggestions? Help me out here
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:42 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

That is a tough question. However, if it was me trying to decide, i would go with Divine Divinity, and then buy the other ones later

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:05 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, the IWD games are pretty different from the BG games, if you didn't like IWD1, then you won't like IWD2.

Divine Divinity is a hack n' slash game, fun for some time, but it gets boring, at least thats what I think.

I would go for Arx Fatalis, I have only played the demo, but it does look sweet.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:31 pm
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmm. I really don't like hack and slash games (I hated Diablo, and certainly don't consider it a proper RPG). I'll give the Arx demo a go and see what I think. Though the 100mb download won't be fun for my ISDN connection
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:09 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Andro
Hmm. I really don't like hack and slash games (I hated Diablo, and certainly don't consider it a proper RPG). I'll give the Arx demo a go and see what I think. Though the 100mb download won't be fun for my ISDN connection

Divinity is not a pure hack n slash game, but some parts of it are much like Diablo. The gameplay varies. There is a large open world with many quests and NPC's, and there are many interesting situations that will surprise you. I can recommend DD, but have not played Arx or IWD. In the future, I will likely get Arx, but won't bother with IWD.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:29 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

Divine Divinity is no more hack and slash than IWDII
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:22 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Andro

Just dump the demo and buy the game.

Arx Fatalis, ultima underworld 3. Enuff 'said.

Divine divinity. Havent tried yet but going to try. Graphs and some quests reminded me of Heros Quest (I) which is a huge bonus. Better wait some for them to finish off the last bugs though.

Icewind Dale2. After playing the first one through im pretty much burned out to this. (And the whole BG series). Also ive heard its just more hack'n'slash which is no biggie news since IWD is the "Diablo" version of BG. I doubt ill ever try it, even if id get it free with bells on.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:10 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Go for DD or Arx Fatalis.

DD: It gameplay is not completely hack & slash; a lot of other interesting things that does let you role-playing. Large game & with latest patch the game is stable.

Arx Fatalis: Looks very promosing, several reviewers already voiced satisfation/pleasant surprise with the game - include Greg at gamespot (it's preview, and also very positive comments in their RPGs forum).
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:30 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Divinity is a game you don't want to miss. It's not pure hack n' slash. You can play it like that, but I'd recommend roleplaying the game to get the most out of it.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:52 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I can't get my hands on an English copy of Arx for a week or so anyway, so I'm gonna go ahead and buy DD. And my comp is scheduled to download the Arx demo whenever it's idling

And if DD is anything like Hero's Quest like Zakhal says, then I'm all for that, those are probably my favorite RPG's of all time

Thanks for all the replies!
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:05 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Umm, maybe i missed all the interesting NPC's and all the cool quests? I played for hours, i played almoust non-stop for 1 day, and it is ALOT of hack n' slash... it was really fun in the beginning, but then it was just boring, kill orcs and level up... very interesting. If your looking for a hack n' slash game, Diablo 2 is alot better, if your looking for a real RPG game, get BG2, Planescape: Torment, Arcaum, Fallout 2, Gothic, Morrowind... and so on.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You can download demos for both games - Divine Divinty and Arx Fatalis. I do not know if there is demo for IWD2.
However I played both demos (DD and AF) and I can not say which one is better. They are really different RPGs, both really good. Choose which one you want and then buy second one.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:50 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

IWD2 has a decent story and some really good dialogue. It LOOKS like the last infinity engine game... everything they've ever learned is in IWD2 and they've learned a lot over the years. I'm almost done so I can finally write the review for RPGDot on it... a quick view of my impressions so far.

It started off fine but then quickly devolved into reload city. I'm SO glad it only takes my computer about 2 second to quickload since, even at level 15 most things will kill me at least once. Enemies close too quickly even at standard AI update speed and just like pen and paper armor class means NOTHING after level 10 or so... which is bad, as most enemies are as or more powerful than you are... and have you outnumbered.

There were some fights where I had to replay the battle five or six times or more. Now, I may not be a tactical genius (despite my best intentions and constant playing of the strategy genre) but I HAVE been playing D&D and its CRPGs for more than 15 years. Granted, getting pounded is largely my fault... I made 'real' characters with balanced stats when I should have dropped everyone except my cleric's charisma to 3 and maxed out con and their primary attribute. I'd probably be less frustrated if I didn't try and roleplay and just min/maxed the living hell out of my characters. Fighters don't need intelligence or charisma! You get to be brain dead and drool but swing a mean axe!

Up in the air as to how I rate IWD2 so far... I'll know when I get to the scoring section, I guess. I'm going to have a hell of time seperating 'would it be fun for someone who loves to reload all the time and hack stuff up' from 'did *I* have fun playing it' (the answer is 'yes... except for the combat (95% of the game after chapter one))...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:17 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
IWD2 has a decent story and some really good dialogue. It LOOKS like the last infinity engine game... everything they've ever learned is in IWD2 and they've learned a lot over the years. I'm almost done so I can finally write the review for RPGDot on it... a quick view of my impressions so far.

Good news. I am decided to buy DD and AF, but not if really sure if I should buy IWD2. Your review will be full of good and important information, I am sure about this ;].
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:23 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Divine Divinity looks and sounds better go with that one.
Post Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next