View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Guild or Guildless?

What do you prefer ?

I personally have created my own guild, had a hard time gettting first few members, but when my guild charter had 4 signatures people became more interested. Also I seem to notice that people tend to recruit people on fast track just by running around asking if someone would sign their charter. I did my job differently and I think it was better then just recruiting random people. I usually helped people at their quests or answered their questions to gain their trust then ventured around the world with them for some time to get a bond. I found this tehnique is time consuming but then the guild becomes more connected and interested in helping each other I think. So now we finnaly have a guild and are collecting the sum of 10 gold together, where you see how generous some people can be. I have seen someone who just scraped his first gold piece together at Level 11 and gave it to the guild in goodwill, I consider that a great act of generosity and loyalty, which is probably result of the bond we've created. Are you in a guild and if you are Guildmaster what is your tehnique of recruiting or how have you been recruited if you were ?

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:05 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I'm going through the game solo. I generally don't party up either. There are some excpetions though which occur when someone asks me to assist them.
Sometimes I find myself with another player trying to solve the same quest. Instead of partying up we just each kill half of the baddies and then solve the quest individually.
So I think I'll stay guildless and be on my own.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:01 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

What sold me on my guild, the Holy Templars, was our leader in Ironforge, advertising his new guild of like 15, and I got to speaking with him. He was semi-roleplay, and spoke to me respectfully, and we hit it right off. There were no level restrictions, and everyone greeted me with a hearty welcome as soon as I was in. To this day, he is our leader, and is the glue that has kept us together and loyal to the guild. I find that a lot of people are looking for something to devote themselves to and respect, you just need to find them and give them some respect. Being nice is a given, but the difference Ive found with this guild from others is a few things I will list below-

#1- We have certain guild-specific phrases or that we all share. Every time someone comes on, 90% of the time they issue a "Hail Tempars", or "Ave Magnus Templarus" (hail mighty templars) and they receive a Hail in return.

#2- There needs to be one central leader, or president if you will, to make the final call on disputes or things in question. If he is gonna be absent for a while, an interim leader needs to be appointed. Being a guildmaster doesnt necessarily make you a leader. We have a clear officer structure, yet it isnt a hierarchy of a snobs. People who show devotion to the guild are rewarded with promotion, but everyone's opinion is valued no matter what rank. Promotion does mean a lot to most people, believe it or not.

#3- We have a dues system for characters over lv40 of 50 silver a week, for helping out people with their mounts when they hit 40. We recently just got this going, and most people like myself end up giving a few gold a week because of devotion to the guild. You give what you feel you can or should, but 50s is the minimum. Also, we started a guild bank with runecloth bags and misc stuff to help out people who need them.

#4- We have dedicated tradesmen who give their services to the guild. Potions, bags, enchants, etc.

#5- we have regular closed officer meetings and discuss the guild.

#6- troublesome people are kicked to the curb. Disrespect or attitude is not tolerated. 'Nuff said

So, being cool to people is of course number one. Recruiting can be tricky, but I would advertise the kind of guild you want to start in Ironforge. But keeping people in your guild is another whole ballgame in itself. Make sure you have a clear officer structure and a central leader such as yourself who makes the final call, and hold officer meetings and openly discuss any concerns or ideas. Take whole days and devote them to helping your lowbies. Do stupid things like make up some slogans or something you all share. Do those things, and you should get a loyal guild.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:21 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

In the server I am currenlty playing, we have two known Dutch guilds. One is called Dutch Alliance (sp?) and the other is called Dutch Delight. I met level 41 player while spending some time in Stormwind, and we got into a nice chat. After some time, he said (translated): "You know, it seems you want to know quite some stuff. Maybe it's better if you join our guild." And there I was, one of the lowest levels in Dutch Delight. Strangely enough, they were very friendly, even the higher levels. I went with them into the Dead Mines, we went killing van Cleef together, did alot of stuff, and they never complained me being a lower level. I am cathing up a bit now, and I am no longer the lowest level (by far).

Though something stange -- and unpleasent -- is happening in our guild now. Well there isn't actually something "happening", but you notice that people aren't that friendly anymore. Today, when I came online, There were four other guild-members online. I greeted... no answer. Two minutes later I asked if someone could help me with an Elite quest... no answer. Not even a "No, sorry." This didnt only happened today, but also some days before. It seems or guild is losing interest, and people are less friendly.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:37 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Had a guild, lasted six months.

Lost the guild lasted two more weeks.

Same as always, ultimately. SWG was the same way... even though I was 'max' level really quickly I kept on for four more months because of the guild. It broke up and I quit.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

http://colight.info.se
Circle of Light on Shadow Moon.

In the guild I'm Keldorn, but I don't play that alt anymore. We've got about 120 lvl 60s now, so it's getting a bit crowded. Besides, I can't stand item grinding(Diablo 2 style), so I play other alts to level up instead. The whole high-end thing and doing MC just isn't for me.

Some of the same people also have a Horde guild on Hellscream(our Horde alts guild), but right now most people are busy playing Alliance on Shadow Moon, so that guild is practically dead(Dark Legacy, only me and a few friends are playing in it atm).
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:53 pm