Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
s.o.s
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

i have great desire for the game, but because my inexprerience i can't pick up items from my inventory. please, help me! i must reach the old camp!
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:42 pm

wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Is there an English language web page explaining controls more completely than the manual does? I probably still don't know them all!

First off, you might want to look at your keyboard settings, I use the 'alternate' defaults so I don't remember what the standard defaults are. All of these hints use the alternate default as the example.

Most Gothic controls use an action key plus a direction key.

For directions, left/right/up/down I have either the arrow keys or Q/E/W/S and for an action key I have the left control key.

As you know, use the TAB key to access the inventory screen.

Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight items in the currently displayed inventory category. Use the left and right keys to change inventory categories; i.e. misc/food/weapons, etc. If you are trading/looting you need to keep using the left key until the other person's inventory is highlighted. You keep using the right key to move back to your inventory.

When not trading or looting, and this does not work if you are trading, you can use an item in your own inventory by highlighting the item and then using ACTION-UP, literally LEFT-CTRL + W or LEFT-CTRL + UP-ARROW in my case. An item such as food or a potion will be immediately consumed. Wearable items such as Armor, rings, etc. will be worn. You can only wear one armor, one amulet, and two rings. A weapon will be equipped and a number 1, for melee, or 2, for ranged, will be displayed. You can then draw that weapon, outside of the inventory screen of course, with a 1, for melee, or 2 for ranged. Magic items will be given hotkeys from 4-8 when ready and you can use those keys to activate the items. Note that '3' is reserved to recast your previous spell for mages.

To drop an item use ACTION+DOWN, or in my case LEFT-CTRL + S or LEFT-CTRL + DOWN-ARROW.

When trading there is a central area showing what you want on the left and what you offer in barter on the right. Get to these with the left or right keys and use up and down to select individual items. Use ACTION (LEFT CTRL) plus either LEFT or RIGHT to move items towards the trade box or back to the original owner. Again, LEFT and RIGHT aren't necessarily the arrow keys; Q and E in my case. You can move multiples of items using ACTION + STRAFE LEFT/STRAFE RIGHT (LEFT-CTRL + A or D in my case) to move 10 at a time or press add the shift key to the above to move 100 at a time. You have the full complement of fingers don't you?

Note that the left mouse button can substiture for the action key although I never use it this way.

I hope this helps!

Wait until you try swimming! :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: wysiwyg on 2001-12-04 10:07 ]
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:56 pm
artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

man,you are the manual!!*<;o))
artos
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:49 pm
artos
Head Merchant