Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Come share your favorite RPGs and help me find a good one!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Guild Wars seems to have a lot of people thinking that just the basic program you buy off the bat is going to be some sort of Shangri-La of free online RPG/MMORPG (whatever you want to call it) I personally dont think the basic content is going to get you too far in the long run, you still have to pay for additional content.

How long do you think you are going to be just fine playing the basic edition, with no new content? Want to join a guild? Well, you better hope they all want to stay behind and play only that. Something tells me also that if you want to progress and mature in the game at all, youre going to almost have to buy the additional content, or youll be pretty much stuck in a permanent "newbie zone" of sorts. What's the use of playing if you cant advance? And they will definitely be steering you toward buying new content, seems to me they will get us one way or another for fees.

But what I cant really understand is the the "WoW is Diablo" thing. So let me get this straight, any game that has a lot of combat is "Diablo" now? I dont remember making potions, riding mounts, having free exploration of the entire land, the ability to sell what you craft in an auction house, fishing, gathering herbs, first-person point of view, instanced dungeons, a mail system, rest bonuses, underwater areas, different races to play, trainable pets, and the list goes on.. when I played thru Diablo #1&2.

Is there an upcoming "Diablo Battlegrounds" I dont know about?

Simply because the game gives you the option to fight constantly, and there is a graphical skill tree where you make your advancement choices, does that automatically classify it as a "Diablo"? Now the comment, I notice, seems to come from mostly people who havent themselves played the game to begin with, so that may explain it right there. Some disgruntled person who didnt find their destiny in the MMORPG WoW, compares it to a 2D action-rpg DiabloII, now some kind of strange local saying has taken hold with people whose opinions on RPGs I normally trust.

Ive played a million (+/- 995,000) hours of DiabloII, Sacred, and World of Warcraft, and while the comparisons of Sacred to Diablo are certainly a given, I cannot understand the comparison of WoW to Diablo II.

But back to the subject of game suggestions, I would definitely say you need to check out World of Warcraft. If you liked "Diablo II" youll love it!

*edited for "niceness" (because I'm a nice guy!)
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2