Usergroups
Unnarmed Fighting
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

you know you could just beef up your destruction skill and buy a drain stamina spell that will make the whole process quicker. and if your a khajitt, use demoralize humanoid!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:54 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

That would make you a mage, so what is the point?

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 29, 2002 6:17 am
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

youd still be a monk. who says a monk in morrowind cant train their destruction to help them out a little bit? misc skills are there for you to use them!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:12 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Making additional damage with spells, ok, making most of the damage with spells, and still trying to use normal damage... no.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:29 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The first time I fired up the game, I answered my 12(?) questions and I was told I was a Monk. At first I was kindda confused, but when I read the description I realized that this is more or less the character I wanted; stealthy yet still potent with weapons. But the number one attack skill of a Monk is HtH. Upon reading its description, I thought I could work with it...

Then I met my first real foe. The guy guarding the bridge above Moonsomething fort. After about 8 reloads, I finally figured I should try HtH. I happened to be an Imperial too. So I had the drain 200 fatigue ability. I made that one active, ran in, drained his fatigue, and started pummeling with my fists. After about third hit, he went down. I got into groove and promptly killed him--10 minutes later. I was kindda wondering why he's getting up so quickly after I punched him in the nose and he went unconscious, but hey, I was winning. I was so happy and proud, I got the loot from him and proceeded towards the Dwemer ruins. About 5 seconds later, 2 Cliff Racers descend upon me. As my carcas was falling towards the ground for permanent dirt nap, I realized how utterly useless HtH is in a situation where you're attacked by multiple monsters. Soon after a new character was born...

All in all, I found HtH to be useful only in combination with that Imperial 200 fatigue drain spell (only because I was low level, other drain fatigue spells may be useful as well). HtH can really save your bacon when you're one on one vs some really mean bad guy. At some point, I went against some hammer wielding dude that could kill me in 2 hits (and he swung fast). Eventually, I completely striped of all armor, weapons, loot and anything else cumbersome, tossed the 200 drain on him and ran in very quickly while punching as fast as I could. He went down and was minced meat soon after. But in all reality, against normal monsters, I find HtH very useless. First, while you're trying to knock out your opponent, (s)he/it is pounding on you, which is only good if you wanna increase your armor rating very quickly. Fists don't take huge chunks of fatigue out of them. So it will take more than few hits to knock them out. Imagine going against your favourite big bad boss trying to punch them out first. Not doable. Secondly, there is the multiple mob situation. There were times when I got jumped by no less than 5 critters (one time, 5 cliff racers and 2 foragers). Even if I had hundreds of health potions, there is no way in hell I could possibly punch them all out.

Now, if they made some changes to HtH, such that at higher levels it becomes more viable, then it may be worth revisiting as a good strategic tool. Perhaps have sweeping kicks (no animation needed) that allow you to hit multiple targets in one swing. Or possibly increase amount of damage inflicted. Or have HtH do damage along with fatigue drain. I dunno--I just know that current HtH is not fun.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:01 pm
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

h2h is only fun in the context you were speaking of, 1 on 1 situation. but yes, against multiples, you should resort to blunt weapon (if your a monk that is). if u have good mysticism, u can absorb fatigue as well. i havent tested this yet so i dont know if its effective
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:10 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Sounds like playing doom for the 100th time and say outloúd
"Hey, to make it MORE exiting, lets finish the game with only the pistol".

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:47 pm

JemyM, you were right, it is *so* much easier going with a weapon. I've now beefed up my short sword skill and to be honest it's too easy. Especially as I have enchanted my sword to Absorb Health - this is a *huge* unbalancer. (Especially as it costs the same as if you enchanted it with Damage Health or Fire/Frost/Shock damage).

I can understand that HtoH is useful in some situations but I have come full circle now and don't use it at all!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:57 pm

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I raised my h2h from level 10 all the to level 49 by beating up the guy in the Ald-Rhun mages guild.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4