Need a good RPG to play
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hashimoto
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need a good RPG to play

Recently, I haven't had the patience for most games, so I've been wanting to play some good relatively recent RPG i haven't played yet, or that might be good to replay, which led me to get the expansion pack for gothic 2 w/ the translation mod, and play that. I'm done w/ the game now(Already played it once w/o the expansion when it was first released, and now w/ the expansion).

To save you guys some time, here's a list of games that I already played:
Morrowind is amazingly boring to me.
Gothic 1/2 w/ expansion.
KOTOR.
Temple of elemental evil.
Wizardry 8.
Fallout series.
NWN became boring after playing for the first time, even online.
BG series.
Icewind dale series.
Planescape torment.
Arcanum.
Pirates of the Carribean.

Are there any other RPGs that I might enjoy, and would be worth playing?
I know this would be a relatively hard question considering the games I listed, but I really would like to play a good RPG that was released recently(no more than 1 year).

I think I won't get any replies.

edit: Didn't like beyond divinity, already played divine divinity and spellforce.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:05 am
ChronoSerge
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmmm....not many rpg's I can think of that have come out in the past year that you didn't list.....In fact, I can't think of any You might want to try the Quest for Glory collection from sierra.....older games except for the 5th one (dragonfire) i'd recommend them if you also like adventure games .
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:04 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

You might want to consider Arx Fatalis. Didn't come out in the last year, but looks like you have few you have missed.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:22 am
Hashimoto
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Come to think of it, I played and finished all the quest of glory games except for the 2nd, and they're too old(I wish there was a real sequel to betrayal at krondor other than return to krondor or betrayal at antara).

From the recent RPGs, I played sacred, but it got boring after a while, and I did play arx fatalis, although only for a couple of hours.

Is arx fatalis really worth playing?

edit: I guess i'll look for arx fatalis tommorow and reinstall it. Is there anything I should or you recommend I should download? Like some mods that improve the game, etc..?
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:11 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Our Arx site has a guide. Maybe you should have a look at it.

It seems youīve played pretty much every RPG released in the last few years. How about playing some classics like Ultima 7 (through Exult)? Or Ultima 9. It isnīt as bad as the reviews said. Itīs the game which inspired Gothic.
You could also scan through our Top 100 list. Maybe you find something we donīt remember.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:37 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

You said you didn't care for NWN. Have you tried the HOU expansion? It's much better than the OC from the original game. Arx is an excellent game; I loved it.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:34 am
Hashimoto
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I haven't tried the expansion packs for NWN corwin.

I can't find my arx fatalis CD!
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:23 pm
ruessel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For those, who are not focused on fantasy-settings and enjoyed the quite stategical battles in Wizardry8, SILENT STORM is a tip.
It features a WW2-setting (donīt panick), BUT it contains more RPG-elements in char-building than most of the ordinary RPGs. The branching skill-tree is about as wide-spread as in Diablo2, attributes progress similiar to Morrowind by use, you can build a party with up to 6 chars.
This game belongs to the genre "turn-based strategical shooters", which means: No puzzles. The gameplay concentrates on battles and missions, and in this aspect it makes even more fun than Wizardry 8.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:13 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The only one I can think of that you missed is lionheart.

Its not a good game but it did come out. Its very much like a short infinity engine game.

You might be able to buy it for $10.

In fact for $20 you might be able to buy all the publishing rights to it and its sequels.

( just a little rpgdot humor)
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:31 am
Hashimoto
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was playing silent storm right before making this thread. I'm on the last mission on axis, but I haven't tried playing it yet because I didn't like the panzerkleins, which make the game very slow(it's been a few weeks, and the game rocked all the way).

For lionheart, after the first city, the game got really boring.

I installed morrowind w/ the 2 expansion packs, and like 20-25 mods, played it for several hours, then stopped. The game becomes much more fun if you use the console commands to increase your fatigue, speed, and acrobatics when moving around.

Now I installed nwn, w/ hotu, and am playing the hotu campaign, which is fun, but has become too easy w/ a fighter/weapon master/rogue combination. Most creatures can barely hit me, you make a lot of money, which made it easy to enchant my weapon(2-bladed sword + 10, keen, cold damage, and some more stuff).
I'm still in chapter 2(a little after the middle of it), and the only thing that gave me some problems was the demi-lich maker, and that's when the difficulty is set to "very difficult".

I guess after finishing this, i'll try and download a few modules, which I hope are kinda hard. Any suggestions concerning this?
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:12 pm