Video Game Industry 'Crisis of Creativity'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Video Game Industry 'Crisis of Creativity'

This next story is something I noticed in my travels at <a href="http://www.evilavatar.com/" target="_blank">Evil Avatar</a> - it has nothing to do with RPGs but I found it interesting. According to <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20040328/tc_nm/biztech_games_dc_1" target="_blank">this</a> article at Yahoo! News, there's a 'Crisis of Creativity' in the gaming industry (I could have told you that) -- but the interesting thing is it's the fault of us aging conservative gamers:<blockquote><em>The video game industry is facing a hardening of the creative arteries as aging gamers' tastes increasingly shift toward sequels and games based on movies, industry participants said this week.</em></blockquote>As a CRPG gamer, there's a limited choice of products to buy. Is is really our tastes or the risk-adverse industry driving this?
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:26 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree dhruin, that is crap. But I do like sequals when they are not messed up. Fall Out 3 with turn based only combat would be nice. Jagged Alliance 3, Wiz 9, Realms of Arkania 4, Darklands 2, Darksun 3, Buck Rogers Matrix Quadrupled, ToEE 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. etc, etc. The only game in there that wouldn't be turn based would be darklands 2. I wouldn't want to wreck the sequal for RT fans, why do they always want to wreck it for me?

Of course we want sequals. 98% of the games coming out are based off the same formula of another game. Mind as well call all the games Wolfenstien 3d in space with vehicles, Diablo with horses, Diablo with a party of up to 6 and donkeys, etc.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:35 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

Strange...
I could say the exact contrary... ( that sequels demand is because of kids, like any merchandising stuff. )
Older gamers should know that licenced based games are often crappy ( ok, maybe it's better these days )

All in all; the video game industry is becoming mature, and IMO, it will look like the movie industry. Good or bad, I don't know...
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:05 pm
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'd say a risk-adverse industry is probably more to blame on this one. Unless that guy who sat next to me in class today is the typical gamer being marketed to.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:49 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Being the "older" gamer they are talking about, I must say that I am not longing for sequels. I am not adverse to them either, if they are good. I really would like some new games with some new concepts, but it seems not many game companies are interested in breaking new ground. The kind of AI that is needed to take RPGs to the next level is difficult to create and I don't see successive games getting better. PB is the only company I've heard of working on advanced AI. As it is now, there is no need because most people will buy sequel after rehash after sequel. I don't play many games like I used to because I've seen it all before.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:32 pm
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Fable anyone? Comments? Flames? I may buy an Xbox for this one...sounds...different, at least...
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:48 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

@hammermd23 : fable seems promising; but it's a console game ( which means (for me at least ) that it will be "wide audience oriented".
Not that wide audience is bad by itself; but the gameplay is often dumbed down; features too :
Just one example : will you have a "gore" option ( just two drops of *red* blood during a combat ) in Fable ????? Or will you have the kind of combat seen in Black&White ???? not the purpose ? hmmm...

See Ion Storm : putting a 3rd person view in thief seems like heresy to me...
IMO, a cool stuff to do in thief with 3rd person view should be to have a "replay" feature. [ ie : You play in 1st person mode, then at any moment in the game you can see a replay of youre actions in 3rd person mode. And maybe save it to share with other players ]

About age : if the gamers are getting older why do we have (often) childish gameplay/story ? ( then again, Gothic is a famous example of "mature" story : you're being taunted and beaten(?) down right from the start of the game ).

About sequels : I'm agree with Jung.

About engines re-use : IMO there are not used enough... But the game developpers are known to avoid reusability !
For example; I love the Dark engine and it was used for 3 games ( thief, thief II, System shock II ). Which is a lot : how much engines used only for one game !!
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:34 am