Back to the drawing board. *sigh*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Back to the drawing board. *sigh*

After a few months of playing WoW, I'm still feeling empty. I play BG II every now and then which tends to curb my apitite, but it's a little like eating chinese food... fills you up quick, but then you're hungry after an hour or two. So I here I am again seeking guidance in a world of so many games, though few with what I crave!

Diablo II was great. I played it on and off for years. I liked Champions of Norrath despite its lack of story, and Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade (Sony PSP) isn't bad. This leads me to believe that what I crave is a hack and slash RPG four qualities (though not in any order):

1. Cool spells
2. Challenging
3. Decent storyline
4. No turn based combat, meaning, Diablo II style not BG

I beg your assistance... If there are any games that, based on these "specs," might possibly appeal to me, *Please* jot em down on this thread, I'll love you forever. Thanks!
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:00 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

In my opinion, Divine Divinity is hands-down the best RPG with Diablo-like combat ever made. Part of that is the fact that it is a great RPG in its own right, not just an action RPG.

Dungeon Siege 2 is much better than the original and worth a look. There's a decent demo to worth checking out.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:04 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'd like to recomend Dungeon Lords, I really would, but I can't!! YET!!!!! You might enjoy it, despite its many faults, though I'd suggest waiting for the next patch!! The new Bards Tale isn't bad either. I'm nearly finished it and will be writing a review once it's done.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:48 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

You might give Neverwinter Nights a try. With both expansion, it is more Diablo-like than ever.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If you like the Baldur's Gate games, then you might want to add Icewind Dale to the games these guys suggested. It's more action packed than BG.
Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:30 pm
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I said I liked some aspects of Baldur's Gate. However, I can't stand the BG style turn based combat... it's too slow and there's not enough action. The storyline and spells in BG are fabulous, but when it comes to what games I like overall, I wouldn't rate them at the very top.

Scratch that. I would rate Baldur's Gate at the very top, but that doesn't mean I don't want something different (if it takes you more than 5 seconds to figure that sentence out, just keep reading).

After playing Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade a little more, I think I know what I want: Champions of Norrath type game with more classes and a good story. Is that too much to ask? Am I going to have to start developing my own games? I hope not... then it wouldn't be any fun to play them
If anything comes to mind, post post post!

Edit #3: It just occured to me while reading a review for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance that I have probably posted this thread in the wrong forum. It looks as though I need a console RPG, not a CRPG <doh> still, feel free to share and suggest, but don't get mad at me for posting in the wrong place - I'm already sorry
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:19 am