Recommendations on a MMORPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
ZL28
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Recommendations on a MMORPG

I'm looking to get back into the world of MMORPGs. I played AC for about a year (back in 01) then left because I was too busy trying to work and finish college/grad school. Now I have a ton of free time! I really don't feel like going back to AC, had a few toons and when I left I had a 53 archer so I can safely say I don't have that much of a peeked interest left. I saw AC2, beautiful game, but from reading posts and talking to people I will opt to stay away from that one. Also by reading the boards here, all be it debatable, I see I didn't miss much in 2003. I have my fingers crossed for 04 with the variable title wave of new releases to come, but alas my sword hacking fingers are twitching.

Any suggestions while I wait for something new? I'm up for any solid MMORPG and I don't necessarily want to drop it the minute say EQ2 hits the shelves. Any advice is much appreciated and just to add another note that this is a very well run site. Keep doing what you're doing!
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:11 am
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, depends on what you're looking for I guess. A few titles to consider since you mention "solid MMORPG" as part of the criteria, FFXI, Dark Age of Camelot, and Anarchy Online. All are very solid games in every respect, though IMO, AO with the new expansion my be the best out there. AO is a deep game and will take some time to figure out, but as you see from the news section, the first player to hit the level cap just happened... so be prepared to spend some time with it. FFXI is more straight forward once you get through the first 10 levels or so, but I found character dev way to ridgid making the higher levels quite boring. DAoC is a fun game, hack and slash if you will, with very good Realm vs Realm play. Character dev (which you can probably tell is important to me) is limited as in FFXI. If you want more specifics or have questions, post 'em for me

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:30 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Everything Christation has said so far is good, so I won't go through the same list again. The only title I would add which he didn't mention would be SWG. Fight the hype, and try it at least. The character development is probably among the best in any genre, and very open-ended. The graphics are great, the controls are perfect (you can customize everything), the interface is sleek and skinnable. The game still needs some balancing, but overall the experience is a fun one.

Now that they've added player mounts and vehicles, I have no qualms about recommending SWG. Otherwise, AO or DAoC would also make good re-entry choices. If you're looking for good PvP end game, DAoC is the best.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:17 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm going to be different here, and try to dissuade you from returning to the MMROPG fold for the time being. I think you would be disappointed with its current state.

In truth, the MMROPG genre hasn't really advanced since you last played AC1. Graphics may have improved, but poor gameplay and content has plagued recent offerings.

Later this year, there will be many newer products on the market .....which may, or may not deliver. For me personally ( and I think this is true for many .. ) a big part of the fun in playing MMROPGs is exploring a new "world" at the same time as others. It's never quite the same if you arrive at the party late.

Take advantage of your newfound spare-time instead by playing some of the excellent CRPG releases that have been released over the last 2 years (I'm assuming you haven't had the time to look into these ). Examples include Gothic 1 ( and 2 ), Star Wars :KOTOR and Morrowind ( with expansions ).

By the time you have worked your way through those the new generation of MMROPGs should have arrived. You can then reintroduce yourself to the genre .... un-tainted by a staple of lackluster has-beens that never quite hit that "sweet-spot" you fondly remembered from your days of old in AC1.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:54 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I agree with Ican, he is right. If i were you i'd wait. The wait shouldnt be more than 4 months or so. I played AC for a year too, but currently im not playing anything because everything that is out isnt very good. The next generation of games comes out 2004-2005. These include, along with websites for you:

-- Dragon Empires at http://www.codemasters.com/redirect/redirect.php?url=/dragonempires/uk/front.php
-- Darkfall Online at www.darkfallonline.com
-- Everquest 2 at http://everquest2.station.sony.com
-- Ultima X Odyssey www.uxo.ea.com/intro.html
-- World of Warcraft www.worldofwarcraft.com

there is a list of others at www.mmorpg.com including release dates for all of these.

happy hunting!
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:55 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Also if your sword arm is getting itchy and you want something immediately, go with DAOC. The end game is good, graphics are okey, and race/class selection is decent. You can get a lot of cool stuff at the end game, like more skills from RvR and stuff. Its really the best thing out there right now. Be sure to research a server by going to camelot herald website first, or else you might be mad later on when you find out that your realm is doing badly on a particular server.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:28 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree about 2003 being a lowsy year for MMRPGs and that you didnt miss much. BUT, there is one exception, A Tale in the Desert is really something new that brings new concepts to the genre.

As I already posted before, now I am playing FFXI and I am having a blast. I wasnt expecting much of this game, it doesnt bring much new concepts but it is surprisingly fun to play.
Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:58 pm
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
I agree about 2003 being a lowsy year for MMRPGs and that you didnt miss much. BUT, there is one exception, A Tale in the Desert is really something new that brings new concepts to the genre.

As I already posted before, now I am playing FFXI and I am having a blast. I wasnt expecting much of this game, it doesnt bring much new concepts but it is surprisingly fun to play.

A Tale in the Desert is worth checking out, but make sure you're into that type of game first... don't want you to waste your time

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:23 am
ZL28
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to try DAoC. I did some research and took a look at the official DAoC site, looks like a good game.

Does anyone know of good DAoC websites?
Should I invest in Trials of Atlantis?

A Tale in the Desert...............What a pile of flaming organic fertilizer!

I don't want to play nicely with others!!!!
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:56 am
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yea, I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

My favorite site is: http://camelot.allakhazam.com

Nah, not right now on TofA IMO. Get a feel first, then if you like things ok, pick it up. You will be busy with newbie stuff for a week anyway.

And you might want to try a Monk. They are not just a support class in DAoC... they heal and kick some serious tail.

Have fun!

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:04 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Try this site: http://www.classesofcamelot.com/default.asp
It has info on all classes of all realms. On the bottom of every class page there are several links to guides of that particular class.
There's also info on lots of other important stuff like realm abilities, spells, skills, etc etc.
I found it a very helpfull site when I was playing Daoc.

And I agree with Christation. Don't buy Toa just yet - you'll be busy enough with the "classic" Camelot for a while.

Enjoy the game
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:39 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by ZL28
Does anyone know of good DAoC websites?

Why... www.mmorpgdot.com of course!!!

Seriously, I think we're the best place to start with because we try and keep the news updated about any and all games all over the web. Just head to the game's database page here and scroll down to look at all the news. You'll find many info hidden within which you might not find easily by just going to any of the sites and actually look for them

Actually, I could recommend one site that might not appear in our database. I like the DAoC Catacombs for one thing: its character builder. Probably the best character builder you'll find on the web, for any game! Try it: http://daoc.catacombs.com/cbuilder.cfm

And believe me, in the case of a game like DAoC you'll want to plan things ahead because you'll have to live with your character and the mistakes you might do...
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:11 am
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree with Ekim, duh. Try mmorpgdot.com first, then http://daoc.catacombs.com for sure. The character builder is a must.

Good call Ekim.

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:34 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

by far, the best DAOC site is hosted by Mythic themselves, the Camelot Herald has the most information unless you go to Alakazam or somefin, anyway here is the link: http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:45 am
Frodotype
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi all! Is this my first post? Anyway, how many people these days still play UO? I am sure I will play loads more when I get a better machine, but UO allows me to play on the machine I have now, which is a wafer-thin x24 ThinkPad on my WiFi network. Are there other MMORPGs I can try that don't require a kicking video card?
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next