PC Games Removed from Store Shelves?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

PC Games Removed from Store Shelves?

A rather scary <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6085583.html" target="_blank">article</a> at Gamespot suggests that EB Games and Gamestop may remove PC games from display altogether after Christmas:<blockquote><em>Recently, the hot topic took a decidedly darker turn. Last week, a number of widely read game forums posted entries suggesting that EBgames and GameStop, two of the nation's biggest specialty retailers, would remove all PC games from their inventories as soon as the holidays passed.</em></blockquote>*sigh* The article does quote EB CEO Jeff Griffiths as denying the rumour.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:01 am

I remember reading articles similar to this when the 8 bit Nintendo console stormed onto the scene...in the 1980's. Have no fear PC gamers.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:04 am

I used to regularily buy a new game every month for the PC, but since I discovered MMORPGs I have dropped down to buying one every six months or so now. Even then there is always the temptation to buy online as it is usually cheaper to do so and there are some very good online retailers right now.

I don't see PC games ever dying out, but I can see them degenerating into clones of console games - something I would personally hate.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Doom and gloom. Do these people want to be depressed?
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:58 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I don't know about computer games disappearing from store shelves, but my local EB and Gamestop have definitely reduced the amount of shelf space devoted to PC games during the past two years. My local EB, for example, used to devote about a quarter of the stores shelf space to PC games. I would estimate that the store has reduced its PC offerings to about 10 percent of the store's shelf space. Most of that former PC shelf space has been replaced with console game shelf space. Simple economics, I guess. People buy more console games than PC games, and console games, in general, offer more profit potential (with the exception of big sellers like The Sims, Warcraft, Call of Duty, etc.).

My guess is companies like EB and Gamestop that have small mall-based stores will carry fewer niche PC titles and focus on big releases with better sales potential.

I just thought of something else. Part of the reason for reduced PC space could be attributable to the shift from big, clunky PC boxes to the smaller boxes now in use. Even with the smaller boxes, however, my local EB and Gamestop definitely carry fewer PC titles these days.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:53 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:31 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Oh well. Future Shop it is.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:15 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

My local EB used to have an entire wall of PC games, now it has one set of shelves in the back corner; everything else is mainly PS2 and X-box. The manager told me this week, they often only get in 1 or 2 copies of each new PC title.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:49 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Looks like PC games aren't the only type of game feeling the pinch. Console games took a big hit today. Check it out at Gamespot: www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6085760.html
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:34 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I thought I heard KB Toys was close to bankruptcy (sp). It was a short newsbit on TV about all the stores in general cutting back on inventory because of being stuck with so much last few years as well. I may be wrong, but that would explain KB's actions. They have been doing poorly for over a year now I know.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:11 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

That'd be a nightmare.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:49 am
Daros

It's always interesting to me that people can make a news story without any sources. How about this:

"GAMESTOP AND EB TO STOP CARRYING GAMES, SWITCHING TO CATNIP TOYS AND CONSTRUCTION SUPPLIES, SAYS ANALYST."

Neither company is going to stop carrying PC product. That would be foolish. Lately, yea, PC has been taking a smaller percentage of sales. But really, have there been any big releases? No... once Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, and some other big titles hit next year, things will pick up again.

I manage a Gamestop strip store... not inside a mall, but on a strip center. We carry little PC product, but we do carry it. It sells well. We're not going to stop selling it. See, if we stop carrying PC software, then not only do we lose that money, but we lose money from console game sales as well... all the people who come in and buy games for both (like myself).

Neither company is stupid enough to stop carrying PC software, I don't think. No worries there. And I wish sites would stop linking to this BS Lamespot article.

Re KB: Who cares. KB is toys, primarily... comparitively, there is no margin in video games (10-15%, compared to the 30-50% from toys), so to them it's cost cutting more than anything.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:40 pm