Whats your Rune?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Firen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whats your Rune?

Since I dont know much about the Novice Class, I was wondering how many Rune Stones can you make? And what Runes do you make?
-This can really help me with my upcoming Mage Char'.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:32 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

There are lots of runes you can make. When you become a Mage, different teachers will be able to teach you how to create runes that they specialize in. One person can teach you to make summoning runes, another can teach you to make healing runes and so on. I think there's over 30 different runes that you can learn to make.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:34 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

There's only about 15 blank runestones though, choose carefully.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:33 am
Firen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thats why I started this topic.
To know which one you guys recommand.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:23 pm
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The runes I've used most often were
Fireball (just in the beginning)
Lightning (I don't know the exact English name - well, I don't süeak of the cheesy lightning, but the one which strikes out of the sky)
Iceblock (once again, I don't know if it's the correct name - neither the arrow nor the wave)
and of course the Holy Arrow

The Deathrunes (6th circle) were nice, too, but I got them way too late to use them extensively...

btw:
There are some runes you can find, so it would be unwise to waste runestones by creating those:
Spoiler:
Fear (Xardas' tower)
Ice Arrow (in the skeleton cave with Angar's amulet)
Goblin Skeleton (Sekobs chest - ch3)
Holy Arrow (secret library in the monastery - ch5)
Holy Light (dead knight, being eaten by a dragonsnapper on the way to the VoM)

Maybe there are some more, but those are the runes lying around of which I know... (I've heard of a "heal small wounds"-rune at the orcish campfire at the pass)

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:50 pm
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

I am in ch2 (around lvl12) and i have 3 blank runes.
now to the question, what rune shall i make? or should i save them for later chapters?

Try this great game now!
http://www.warriors2.com/default.asp?referedby=163834
http://www.regno.se/default.asp?bonusfrom=3111
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:51 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Runes

As a person beating the game with a Magician of Fire, I recommend:
FireArrow( If you can hold until FireBall don't buy but if you buy you won't lose )
FireBall ( The Magician's Standard )
Ball Lightning ( Because Orc Elites think FireBall is mosquito sting )
Because they all have 1/6 mana/damage ratio

Destroy Undead (1000 damage to undead! (Kills The Undead Dragon in 3 hits)
Rain of Fire ( Great spell trust me, this will kill everything in at most two quick casts, plus you can move around and rain follows you killing more stuff )

You will find Heal Light Wounds, Holy Light in Ch2 and Summon Goblin Skeleton in Ch3, so don't buy them.

I also think death spells are useless: Expensive and slow casting.

Don't bother with any summons I even tried Army of Darkness and 5 Skeletons died terribly by Orc Warriors and Elites.

Btw I have filled every single rune I found, plus trained two handed and crossbow to 30% and learned many junk skills like 6-7 different hunting skills and I still had over 80 LP at the end of the game. So don't be afraid to learn extra combat skills, you can't only rely on magic all the time.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:31 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Depends on the circle you in. You already have fire bolt, right? Circle 2 fireball, circle 3 ice block & large fireball, heal medium wounds, circle 4 destroy undead, circle 5 icewave, circle 6 holy missile & rain of fire are the ones I found most useful. You can learn circle 1 light instead of using the paladin's rune as it costs less to cast and I thought you could see better by the white light rather than the blue light IMHO. Up to you. By the time you are finished you will have plenty of skill points to make what you want. Some cool ones are Army of darkness (6) and wave of death (6) but Darth Mader and Scoundrel right, you won't get much use out of them. But if you have the spell points and the time at the end it's cool to use wave of ice when you're about to be surrounded. Then you have time to throw anything you want.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:42 pm
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Taxen0
I am in ch2 (around lvl12) and i have 3 blank runes.
now to the question, what rune shall i make? or should i save them for later chapters?

Hej!
How many learning points do you have left? As you may already know, learning how to create a certain rune costs 5LP each...

Personally, I have only made the "Firearrow" rune when I was in the 1st circle and I would advise you save the blank runestones, because they are quite rare.

When you've risen to the 2nd circle learn "Fireball" - I also made a "Summon skeleton"-rune, but it really is crap.
In circle 3 I made "Iceblock" and "Small firestorm", the latter being not useful as I hoped it would be.
Circle 4 contains "Destroy undead" which is very very useful, especially in chapter 5 and on Irdorath (although the very end of the game isn't challenging at all if you use this rune).

The runes I probably used most of time were "Holy arrow" (ch5) and before this lightning-out-of-the-sky-thing, but unfortunately I don't remember to which circle it belonged...

Hejdå,
DM

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:10 pm