Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Record Breaking Sales
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Record Breaking Sales

Straight from Bethesda...<blockquote><em><b>Record Breaking Sales of Bethesda Softworks’ <br> <br>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion <br>Huge Demand for Highly Acclaimed Next-Generation Game</b> <br> <br>April 10, 2006 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks® announced that its hit title, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™ has achieved record sales, reflecting huge market demand for the title. Over 1.7 million units of Oblivion for the PC and Xbox 360 have been shipped since the launch of the game. <br> <br>In North America, Oblivion has become the fastest selling game released on the Xbox 360. The NPD Group Inc reports Oblivion PC as the best selling PC game, while the Oblivion Collectors Edition is ranked number 2. NPD reports that Oblivion represented approximately 13% of all PC game sales in the first week of its release, more than four times the sales volume of the next best selling title. (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind®, the highly-regarded predecessor to Oblivion, remains one of the top 25 best selling PC games nearly four years after its release, according to NPD). European results have been similarly strong with Oblivion quickly becoming ranked the number one selling title in the UK, Germany and France. <br> <br>Oblivion has earned high praise and awards from publications around the world. Official Xbox Magazine (US) gave Oblivion a 9.5 out of 10 and an Editor’s Choice award, calling Oblivion “An Absolute Masterpiece.” PC Gamer (US) awarded it an Editor’s Choice Award and a score of 95%, calling it “a classic” and “one of the best RPGs ever made.” And the largest circulation gaming magazine in the world, Game Informer, gave Oblivion 9.5 out of 10 and said, “The bar for the next generation of RPGs has just been set.” <br> <br>Reaction around the world has been equally laudatory. Oblivion has been featured on more than 30 magazine covers in the US, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Australia, Benelux, and other countries. The leading PC game magazine in Great Britain rated it a “Must Buy” and said Oblivion “is one of those rare and wonderful treats of gaming that’s so recklessly ambitious and staggeringly accomplished that it makes even great games…seem small-minded and clumsy by comparison.” <br> <br>Oblivion is currently the #1 ranked Xbox 360 game and the #1 ranked PC game on both MetaCritic.com and GameRankings.com. MetaCritic and GameRankings are sites that calculate a ranking of games based on review scores published by recognized print, broadcast, and online media outlets around the world. <br> <br>Oblivion was released in five different languages—English, French, German, Spanish and Italian—and packaged as a regular edition and a collector’s edition in North America, Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia. Bethesda Softworks’ 368-page Official Game Guide offers hints and strategies to those playing the game, and has experienced unusually favorable attach ratios to game sales. The book was ranked #10 on the Amazon list of bestselling books in the first week after release. <br> <br>The long-awaited Oblivion represents the quintessential role-playing experience for the next-generation of gaming, inviting gamers into the sprawling environments of Tamriel, the most vibrant game-world ever created. With a powerful combination of free-form gameplay, unprecedented graphics, cutting edge AI, character voices by well known actors, and a masterful musical score, gamers can choose to unravel Oblivion’s epic narrative or simply explore the vast landscape in search of their own unique challenges. <br> <br>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB and is available for both the PC and the Xbox 360 in regular and collector’s editions. For more information on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, visit www.elderscrolls.com.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

To be honest, i really don't care. Please Bring on Gothic 3.
Perhaps if they Bethesda release a demo i would reconsider mit indifference.
I heard the AI in Oblivion is retarded and broken. Perhaps they need to patch the game before they can make a demo that would appeal to gamers that don't tend
to go with the masses.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:01 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ratavuk
To be honest, i really don't care. Please Bring on Gothic 3.
Perhaps if they Bethesda release a demo i would reconsider mit indifference.
I heard the AI in Oblivion is retarded and broken. Perhaps they need to patch the game before they can make a demo that would appeal to gamers that don't tend
to go with the masses.

No one is saying Oblivion is without its faults. But are you really going to let a few quirks about the AI stop you from experiencing all the fun in Oblivion? The huge world, the MUCH, MUCH improved combat? The physics?

Look you know me, I am as big a Gothic fan as anyone. Trust me, they have improved on Morrowind ten-fold. The combat is super-fun, the world is more alive and interactive, there are some interesting quests. You should really give it a shot. Gothic 3 is still a ways out so why not have a blast while we wait for it!
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:02 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

AI performs pretty well unless you are a cheap b***ard who like to jump up obstacles and shoot down spells/arrows on your opponents. The game isn't exactly fun if you do that.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:22 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

OK, Elkston i believe you. But i will wait for the demo nonetheless because i don't know if my sys can handle the game well. But i don't think Bethesda will release a demo because they didn't release one for Morrowind.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:27 pm
ikbenrichard

quote:
OK, Elkston i believe you. But i will wait for the demo nonetheless because i don't know if my sys can handle the game well. But i don't think Bethesda will release a demo because they didn't release one for Morrowind.

the game is selling it self there is no need for a demo, which also be very hard to make i guess (such open gameplay makes it hard to make a demo).

AI is not perfect but good enough for current standards.

i have to say, the game is pretty good and fun. lets forget not addictive .
worth every euro to me. and thats something only a handfull of games can say.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Gothic had open gameplay too and Piranha Bytes did release a demo, so why can't Bethesda release a demo ? That's really lame if you ask me. I don't want to buy a game when i don't know if and how it will run on my sys and when i don't know if the gameplay mechanics are for my tastes. I bought Morrowind and played it for perhaps 2 weeks and then sold it to ebay because i was really bored with the game and because it did perform horrible on my sys.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:06 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Sorry, Gothic had a lot, but what it didn't have was open gameplay. That's a myth. Your abilities restricted you in going everywhere. For a long long time into the game, you had to follow a pretty restricted path.

And no, there won't be a demo. They always said it won't.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:21 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I think what my preposter meant was that Oblivion has a big big world that's all. And he thinks that because of this Bethesda can't release a demo. But if Bethesda don't want to release a demo i will have to wait to upgrade my sys to be sure to be able to enjoy oblivion. But that won't happen until G3 will be released because i know i will buy it because the predecessors were my absolute favorite games and i know that there will be a demo of G3 and when the performance isn't good only then i will upgrade. Perhaps i will play Oblivion around christmas when i'm finished with G3. A nice sideeffect will be that it will be much cheaper by then.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Sorry, Gothic had a lot, but what it didn't have was open gameplay. That's a myth. Your abilities restricted you in going everywhere. For a long long time into the game, you had to follow a pretty restricted path.

And Oblivion is different how?

In Gothic you don't see bigger monsters and weapons until you are a certain level, in Oblivion you don't see bigger monsters and weapons until you are a certain level.

It is the same thing. Only difference is that in Gothic you can already peek at some of the things to come, while in Oblivion you can visit all the locations from the get go but you don't get to see the whole game either.

The whole freedom of Oblivion is actually only a big illusion: Sure, you are free to go everywhere at level 1 location wise, but you cannot, for example, stumble into a vampire infested cave, simply because vampire infested caves do not exist. The existence of vampire infected caves begins when you are a certain level and ends when you are a certain level.

Everyone who had some maths at school knows what a linear function is:
For example, the function f(x)=y is a linear function with a slope of 1.
Replacing x with "player level" and y with "environment level" leads directly to Oblivion's scaling system.
Hence, Oblivion is - by definition - linear!

quod erat demonstrandum
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:

In Gothic you don't see bigger monsters and weapons until you are a certain level, in Oblivion you don't see bigger monsters and weapons until you are a certain level.

It is the same thing. Only difference is that in Gothic you can already peek at some of the things to come, while in Oblivion you can visit all the locations from the get go but you don't get to see the whole game either.

The whole freedom of Oblivion is actually only a big illusion: Sure, you are free to go everywhere at level 1 location wise, but you cannot, for example, stumble into a vampire infested cave, simply because vampire infested caves do not exist. The existence of vampire infected caves begins when you are a certain level and ends when you are a certain level.

Replacing x with "player level" and y with "environment level" leads directly to Oblivion's scaling system.

quod erat demonstrandum

@ guest

That makes sense to me.

That's something i really don't like about Oblivion. At level 1 the game is easier than at level 100. You can solve the main quest at level 1. That's complete nonsense if you ask me that the game is easier when you don't level up.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:31 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

I don't think I see it this cut and dry. I agree that relative to Oblivion, Gothic is not every 'open' in terms of gameplay.

At the same time, I don't consider it purely linear either. You can actually get to any place in the game much like you can in Oblivion. Of course, in gothic you're going to die horribly in places where you are underpowered - but at least it will be quick.

That said, Gothic has a gameplay element that really appeals to me and was only last see in the Ulitima series, through Ultima VIII. That is, you are free to roam the world and part of your discovery is not only new places, but the dicovery that certain places are beyond your abilities - or not. In the case where you are underpowered, you have to remember these places and come back later... hopefully for fabulous prizes. This is a subtlety that keeps gothic from being purely linear like say Dungeon Siege.

While I hugely enjoy Oblivion, my preferance has always been toward the old ultima style gameplay, and more contemporary, gothic's gameplay.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:42 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Ultima rulez. My first game i bought was Ultima 6 and it was awesome. Only the gothics could give me a matchable experience
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:40 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

quod erat demonstrandum

Your wrong.. At level 3 there was a vampire lair. It was still a vampire lair when I was level 22. Besides The type of location is set otherwise the strategy guide maps would be totaly useless if the inhabitants of location would change from a goblin lair to a vampire lair.

The only thing that changes is the level of the vampire's or whatever the inhabitants of the cave were.

So at level three I was able to destroy the vampires. I had hoped they were chalenging enough that I was forced to come back later. Suffice to say that I'm not too fond of the leveling system. Another thing that I would have liked was that things like Vampire's wouldn't repopulate the lair. Repopulation of Bandit's I can understand. But it just doesn't sound right to me that vampire lairs would be repopulated within months.

In short I would like to state that I'm a big fan of Oblivion and Morrowind and enjoyed Gothic 1, 2 and Gothic 2 Gold Immensily. Although I have a slight preference for Morrowind.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:

@ guest

That makes sense to me.

That's something i really don't like about Oblivion. At level 1 the game is easier than at level 100. You can solve the main quest at level 1. That's complete nonsense if you ask me that the game is easier when you don't level up.

Sorry, not true. In Oblivion, there is no level 100. Your levels max out between 47-53. And you rule 95% of the encounters from level 25 onwards.

You can't solve the main quest on level 1 if you play it as you normally play. The main quest is a line of I think 13 quests. You will progress through your levels end end up being at least 8-10, if you aren't using exploits.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next