Gothic 2 addon release date!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Rithe
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

NotR

Worst case scenario: We bombard Atari with emails, or get a petition going. The game is done, we are 99.9% positive about that, English translations and all. There is no good (money not included here) reason that they shouldn't release it.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:37 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

What does the Moderators Gorath and Jaz have on information from PB? Do they know anything on the subject?

Translating the German text into English with an Hex editor by hand is a long process, but not impossible. I did part of it before HornOx had an auto translation quick done that worked well, more or less. Just needed to clean it up some.

If I bought the German Gold edition which has Raven plus Gothic 2 together, then the Gothic.dat file and some others can be hand edited in the English Sub titles if all goes badly for ever to release.

Atari could make alot of money and sell of their old stock of G2 on the shelves. Everyone already bought a copy from the EU through gogamer or gamestop, etc. That is why they think G2 does not sale well in USA, we already bought it months before.

KIWI can you list the website to download that old hack? The one I have is on my old hard drive and would be a pain to ressurect it.

If the hard core fans do not mine spending 60$ to get the German Gold edition, then we would have an English sub titles for it. I do good work. I made (indirectly, some one used it as a guide) the G2Text MOD that went into the US version 1.32 to fix the german text in journal (actually they used it as a guide and changed it some, it was a decent 'artistic' translation).

I may need to pull out that hardrive to get them files. I did have some one e-mail the gothic.dat from the Raven plus G2 german (1 Meg); but with the patches added to the expansion, it needs updated maybe. That file contains 90% of the sub titles, the other small files have the off background spoken text and stuf in books that can be enabled in the INI file to read what they are saying in the background.

Later we can put in our own voice recordings. I can not believe this English Expansion is not going to be released. Ask this question, did it ever for real get made? Maybe their never was a English Expansion made. We would need the help of Moderators to ask PB what is the the truth.

Atari website Admin says that he never heard of it. That Atari is not publishing it as he knows; that conflicts with PB said it was English expansion finished and waiting fort Atari to publish.

Note another great game Falcon 4.0 Gold: Operation Infinite Resolve from G2interactive was to be published by Xicat before Christmas, now Atari has it and Atari is sitting on it, no word. They have done this before.

If we do not figure out what is going on, then Atari will lose more money since we will buy up all the German Gold edition versions and put the English Text patch on it to play it. Then they wonder why they do not sale any in USA.

We need some true answers.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:05 pm
DarkOmen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Damn guys, the addon will be released just wait for a mounth or two.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:19 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

DarKOmen how do you know that positive since there is no published acknowlegement from Atari?

The sooner I get the German version, the faster I can get on with translating an 'English Patch' for it. I am tired of waiting. I would wait for April, but if there is no word from Atari, then why? They killed Falcon 4.0 Gold the same way. Atari is just pissing on us loyal fans!.

I could have already translated this months ago. It would take me about two months to translate and hex edit by hand a perfect file replacement.

Do you have a decent source that the add-on is coming out in a month or April? There is no 'official' source stating that except someone from Atari I guess leaked out that it WAS going to be released in April (announced in Feburary) but they decided to got with DRIV3R console game to release instead. Finiancial problems. I am wondering if and whenever it will be released. End of year? Can not Atari even tell us yes or no?
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:33 pm
DarkOmen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes i know for sure.
The UK version off the addon will be released about a mounth or two.
Now about the US version.
I dont know, i think it should be released about a mounth later.
There should be an announcement soon. (if nothing goes wrong)
Now, you think how the hell does this guy know this, well lad iv got a few contact persons at atari.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:54 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

OK DarkOmen, I will hold off for the add-on. I do hope they can get it released.

It is odd that if they are going to release it soon, they have not announced it yet. Though you say it will be announced in a week or two during Feburary -just like a person lamented on the other forum.

You sound very confident about the silent release soon and contacts. I did not relish the thought of translating thousand lines of German text to play the game.

Have you just played the game recently; it looks like you are somewhat new to this forum from the registration date, no offense? Have you been silently watching this game since Gothic 1, through Gothic 2 release years ago?

Thanks for the insider update.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:51 am
DarkOmen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Im new here because a friend off mine gived me the adress off this website, i didnt know off it first so.
Yes, i played the game a week ago.
Now i finished both games completely, there's nothing to do anymore, so now i waiting for the addon to be released.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:14 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe if u finished both games then u didnt finish them yet belive me if u wanna finish it really u need to finish in gothic 1 with other 2 camps and in gothic 2 also with other 2 camps so there is plenty more to do lol and also different camps give different missions
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:40 pm
Swanny
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
DarKOmen how do you know that positive since there is no published acknowlegement from Atari?

The sooner I get the German version, the faster I can get on with translating an 'English Patch' for it. I am tired of waiting. I would wait for April, but if there is no word from Atari, then why? They killed Falcon 4.0 Gold the same way. Atari is just pissing on us loyal fans!.

I could have already translated this months ago. It would take me about two months to translate and hex edit by hand a perfect file replacement.

Do you have a decent source that the add-on is coming out in a month or April? There is no 'official' source stating that except someone from Atari I guess leaked out that it WAS going to be released in April (announced in Feburary) but they decided to got with DRIV3R console game to release instead. Finiancial problems. I am wondering if and whenever it will be released. End of year? Can not Atari even tell us yes or no?

I'm with Xerxes on this.
Two emails to Atari - Two emails back saying "No plans to release in the UK"

Swanny
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:45 pm
DarkOmen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
ehe if u finished both games then u didnt finish them yet belive me if u wanna finish it really u need to finish in gothic 1 with other 2 camps and in gothic 2 also with other 2 camps so there is plenty more to do lol and also different camps give different missions

O yes, i finished Gothic and Gothic 2 completely with all camps all quest etc.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:45 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Jaz and I know nothing about the add-on release. RPGDot contacted both JoWooD and PB, without success.

Most -if not all- of you forget the business side of the topic. Iīve said it many times before and Iīll say it again: Why should Atari or JoWooD release the add-on now? Where is the potential customer base? Will it increase or decrease within the next 12 months?

We donīt know if Atari has the rights or still JoWooD. We donīt know if they made a fixed deal or a royalty based deal. In the first case JoWooD couldnīt care less if the add-on is released or not because they have their money.
We also donīt know if the rights fall back to JoWooD or even PB if they arenīt used within a certain time frame.

Publishers arenīt in the business of delivering great games. They are in the business of making money. If they arenīt 99% sure a title will earn money it is canned.

All we know is that the add-on is either finished or very close to finished.

This thread contains ~5 substantial posts. Everything else is unfounded and uninformed speculation and hysteria. One of the reason why we have the fixed thread at the top plus a number of closed threads about the add-on.

btw., the subtitle patch is in the gallery since about two months ago.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:44 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
btw., the subtitle patch is in the gallery since about two months ago.

I can not find the sub titles mod in the gallery section of Gothic 2. Can you point me to it? All I see is artwork, screenshots, and wallpaper to download.

Thanks.[/quote]
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:32 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic1/special

edit: Xerxes just told me this is not the correct file.

Last edited by Gorath on Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:12 pm
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Personal attacks on forum members arenīt tolerated here.

Edited by Gorath
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:09 pm
amnael
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi!

quote:
Translating the German text into English with an Hex editor by hand is a long process, but not impossible

I can't say that i speak German very good but i'm sure i can help you with this translation and more important, i can also persuade some of my friends to help. And even it will take 1,2 months instead of two months i would say it's an improuvement. You'll just have to send me the German text because i don't know where to get it from .
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:30 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next