Having issues with the Ylsides
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Ethne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Having issues with the Ylsides

I cannot seem to kill them, they just kick my ass all over and I die instantly. Is there a spell or something that is effective against them? I'm level 7. I have tried speeding up with magic armor, then fireballing them... and still... arg... any help would be appreciated....
sigh.
"She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful."
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:50 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Every time I met one, I just blasted them with a fireball and they were toast.
(I think the odd one needed 2 fireballs).

Is you're magic stat dead low - I dunno if that would effect anything, but mine was between 70-90 when I started frying them.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:14 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Ethne, same story here: lvl. 7 thief-like charater and problems with killing them. Usually I avoid them at all, or take out with my bow (takes like 20 arrows!).
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:43 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I only killed one by now. But he was dead easy (no pun intended). The one in the Yellow Tulip tavern. I just stood by the door and cast ice field . He went nuts but coudn't open the door and kept trying to get to me. After few seconds he's dead.

So, one tactic for defeating them would be to trap them behind impenetrable barriers. I was thinking of trying this out on the one near the underground lake (level 4?). Dispell field, aggro the Ylside and before he can get to you, cast a magic field in the tunnel so he cannot pass. then cast the fire or ice field through the magic barrier. I'll let you know if I succede.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:34 pm
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ylsides are nasty enemies if you ask me...
...I always have all three pre-cast spells as fireballs or two fireballs and a paralyze. This way I hit them with the two fireballs then freeze then and either run away or slash them as hard as I can this works most of the time.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:35 pm
Ethne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

still no luck

took everyone's advice (thank you all, by the way) and I still get obliterated. But now I think I know why... I am such the wimpy little magic user. I only have 35 points to magic, because I was trying to up my object knowledge to make potions. Also, I'm not sure, but I started playing this before either patch was availible, and I read somewhere that with 1.15, the developers added something so that when you gave yourself points in the main four areas, it upped the points in others... I don't think it works that way if you created your character before the patches, then added the patches... I could be wrong...

I think I may just start over...
"She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful."
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:03 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ylsides were my nightmare throughout the game. At the end you'll face many of them. Fortunately they'll come to you one by one. I used the same tactic... soft them up with fireballs and hack with most powerful weapon. Reload as needed...
Ð
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:53 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How that I got the Magik Bow, it takes 4-5 arrows to kill an Ylside. If you stuck like me with a thief non-mage/non-warrior character, definitely try the bow..

BTW, to shoot 5 arrows is still enuf time for an Ylside to finish Am Shegar, so good armour and maneuvering is still vital.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:48 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I found I could kill them with exactly 3 fireballs. Any less wouldn't work, which makes it essential to re-memorize in between each one. There are rings of casting which will temporarily help with spell potency in situations like this -- you can wear 2 and get a decent boost.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:50 am
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I''m using incinerate spell on them. Just one touch and they turn red and explode.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:31 am
CaptainBob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Killin Ylsides

I suppose everyone develops an Ylside killing tactic depending on your character and equipment.

I solved the game with a fighter-type, with only weak magic. So.. I used a big sword, cast speed, and then danced in, hit, danced back. Until I got Ylside armor myself, I often had to use a healing potion or two while killing him.

As said above, there's lots of them, so you need to work on it. Also, they're worth enough XPs that you'll want to kill them.

-Captain Bob
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:01 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I put almost most of my points into intelligence and magic, with this character at level five the Ylsides are easy. With magic at 97 about half the time I kill them with one fireball, I love watching their heads explode when a fireball gets them in the face. And if the fireball doesn’t kill him I just wait till he gets close and use magic missile, that can be a surprisingly powerful spell if you get them a point blank range.
Post Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:05 pm