FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Shadowbane (PC, MMORPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
shayme

I didn't follow that one Ammon777, come again? I've posted quite a few messages, what are you talking about specifically (best case scenario). Horizons was a dream game. It's shaping up nicely enough, but it is only a tenth of what it was. IF that... And although I will forgive your WOW bashing, since I know it will be successful, I am with you on SWG, it will crush Shadowbane into dust. Bye.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:50 am

Ammon777

Shayme, i meant that vengeance killing like you described that will encompass Pk-festivities in Shadowbane would be the best case scenario; there was nothing offensive to you or anybody in that statement. Anyway, what i really mean is that SB's players are essentially griefers, and that what you pointed out -- which is a hellish existence, even if purely digital -- would be the tip of the Iceburg of Grief: thus, sucinctely, Shadowbane might have advanced features, but its player-base is gonna make it suck. Of course, my idea of gaming heaven is different than theirs is and will be: meaning, SB PKers will have a blast, while me... it wouldnt be fun at all for me, IMHO. <br> <br>Also, STAR WARS GALAXIES IS GONNA OWN SHADOWBANE ANYWAY.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:58 am

shayme

lol. I see. No offense taken. What do you think about Dragon Empires, Realms of Torment, or Dark Fall Online? I just can't decide what to think about them. Although this should be a seperate thread.. hehe.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:47 pm

Arhu

Why don't you join our forums, if you haven't already done so, and discuss those games there? <br> <br>We even have a dedicated MMORPG forum since recently, it's at http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=35 <br>
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:56 pm

Ammon777

Dragon Empires looks awesome. You can even see far into the distance, which is a kick*** feature
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:07 pm

sansong

About Shadowbane being Pkers heaven, of course, it's a PK based game. However, even though I like Player vs Environment games, if you have played deathmach games, there are few things as satisfying as beating a human being over a NPC. It's for different tastes, but I prefer to get some respect by real beings over computer cotrolled characters if I make a worthy battle. <br>And assholes are everywhere, and perhaps more in Everquest than in any other place, even this game not being PK friendly at all. <br> <br> About SWG, the only thing that made it close to what I mean with 2nd gen was housing, and they have taken it out Of course SWG is going to rock, it has incredible graphics and it's SW, but to what I have seen, it's not too great feature wise, although it has some interesting things for the traders. I can understand it, they are making a very accesible MMORPG so that every average Joe that plays it can enjoy it, while Shadowbane, due to it being guild based, PK environment, is far more hardcore. <br> <br> What I like most about Shadowbane is the power that is handed to the player. In no other game can you build your own city and manage it completely, you can become king, build an empire, have an army of real people, conquer cities. Valuable players may become as popular as Lord British in Ultima Online. Tell me any other game that gets the player far over the concept of 'uberpowerful' avatar to that degree, or even close
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:33 am

sansong

One more thing. Imagine you log into everquest, and you appear in Freeport. <br> <br> However, they cities is burning, all your mates in the city are fighting against the invader dark elves, you can hear the siege machines in the distance, the fighting in the streets, and after some retreat shouts, you have to leave the city, it has fallen to the dark elves, and perhaps to never come back to it if you cannot conquer it back and claim revenge, or make an agreement with these insidious elves to share back the city, perhaps for some tax benefits or another territory agreement. <br> <br> Looks cool? Well, of course it's not Everquest; that's Shadowbane.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:45 am

Ammon777

Oh all right. But you are wrong about SWG. It is totally new feature-rich. I am reading all the designer posts and you are completely wrong about it not being second generation, because it truly is -- Star Wars Galaxies is a different game than Shadowbane; the concepts are different. There is even PvP in SWG where you gain and lose territory for your faction (just like Shadowbane), et cetera. Apparently you are ignorant about SWG and thus are not worthy to judge it. Read more about a game before you say it only has one second-generation feature -- otherwise you are talking about something you have no clue about. I have read tons about Shadowbane so i am not ignorant in that regard, and I have also read TONS about Star Wars Galaxies and it is just as advanced as Shadowbane in terms of a player being able to change the world, economy, guilds, et cetera, EXCEPT that it is different kind of game -- thus those two games shouldnt even be compared because one is hardcore-PvP (SB) and the other is a hardcore-PvE / softcore-PvP (SWG) hybrid. They are two totally different games, and one is not superior than the other, EXCEPT in terms of graphical quality, in which Star Wars Galaxies is superior hands-down.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:00 pm

Shayme

Alright listen, you are all going to be disappointed, but let's be honest. Graphics often DO make a game. Even the most dedicated SB follower have to admit SB lacks in graphics. If they can't admit that they are in denail. I simply won't be able to get past it! I believe a game should be able to draw you in and take hold of you. And I will look around and see the absolutely horrid character models and think "oh god that needs to be so much smoother" or I may even laugh at how aweful something looks. I play mmorpg to explore the BEAUTIFUL areas and observe the beauty all around me, to allow myself to become lost in the world. Shadowbane looks terrible and it's a mental block I just can't get past. Everquest looks bad too now, but when it was released several years ago, it was beautiful, too. Now standards have gone WAY up, and Shadowbane just can't handle it.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:27 am

Shayme

And about your example of the city being seiged Sansong. That sounds very cool and very fun, and anti-SB'ers would be stupid not admitting that. It sounds like an adrenaline rush. But you may experience that kind of seige only several times in your entire SB existance! And if it happend on a weekly scale, that would just be redundant and I'd be frustrated every other week I couldn't step foot in a certain city. But what about all the time those cool city seiges aren't happing, do you expect me to sit around and look at the ugliness around me? lol. I won't do it. Maybe I'm weak, but I just can't. I need eye-candy and visual feasts of beauty. That is just as exciting to me as a city seige.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:32 am

sansong

"There is even PvP in SWG where you gain and lose territory for your faction (just like Shadowbane)" <br> <br> Tell me where have you read about this, because I havent found about it anywhere in the FAQ. SWG will have faction wars like guild wars in other games, which is far from revolutionary. And again, housing seems compromised lately, which was one of their most advanced features in terms of creating bases and cities, but now it's not sure if it will be included. I have not seen anywhere that the Empire can take cotrol of rebel bases, so pls tell me where can I check about it. SWG is going to be a great game in my opinion, but is less feature rich, at least on paper, than SB. <br> <br> About the siege, it was an example, not the only interesting thing in SB. There will many different forms of conflict that can have great cosequences on the geography of the land, and that was only one, although perhaps its one of the most impressive indeed. <br> <br> About graphics, it's everyone's opinion, but I will talk about that when I see the game. I remember seeing the pics of DAOC and that it looked horrible, but ingame they were not that bad at all. Also, UO is still there with graphics of the early 90s, and EQ was still going strong before the Shadows of Luclin graphical update. On the other side, I bought SOL to see the new graphics, but I left EQ in a week or so, because they looked cool but the game was the same of course. <br> Also, 3d engines can be updated with time. EQ did so. DAOC is going to update their Netinmerse engine soon, so SB will probably update the graphics, although that's not too important for me. Most hardcore RPGers don't care about graphics, some of them still play old Ultimas, Might & Magic and Wizardry, for the gameplay, not the graphics. I like eye candy as much as anyone (I have a AMD XP 1900 and Geforce 3, which is pretty decent system, and bought it almost only for Morrowind), but in the end is the gameplay that counts. I left Dungeon Siege because it was too boring and repetitive, even though graphically it was great. But that's everyone's opinion. <br> However, after a week of playing a game, I will stay with the game that is fun, not the one that gives me good eye candy without any content. <br> <br>
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:33 am

Ammon777

Read the SWG Developers Digest. NOT EVERYTHING IS IN THE FAQ. sheesh.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:51 pm

Shayme

Well done, Sansong. Nice post. How about this. I will wait for Shadowbane to come out, I will read all the reviews, I will look at the graphics on release, and we will all see how stable initial launch is. If all is well and reviews are high and graphics and been rehauled (like Wolfpack promises), then perhaps I will see you on a Shadowbane server. Although once SWG comes out, you will miss me. <br>
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:59 pm

Shayme

Hey Ammon, we've been posting for a while now. I had a thought, since we are under many of the same opinions and both know how awesome SWG is going to be, maybe we should talk about playing on the same server. I like having a support system when I play mmorpg's, and friends I know before hand.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:00 pm

Ammon777

sure, i will send you some private messages then.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next