Pirates of the Caribbean Review at IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Pirates of the Caribbean Review at IGN

7.2/10 is the rating for Pirates of the Caribbean in the <a href="http://actionvault.ign.com/features/media/xenusscreens.shtml" target="_blank">review</a> at IGN. Here are their closing statements: <br><blockquote><em>Once again, the game's essential schism is this issue: casual types who wanted to pick up a good, friendly game based on the movie they're looking forward to will feel so alienated at--so sorry!--"at sea" that they could easily find the whole enterprise one of towering boredom. Hard-core gamers on the other hand, especially those tuned to free-form gaming, will start to realize just how much freedom they have here...and some of them might never be seen again for weeks. No, it's not your average "movie licensed game" at all: There's a gorgeous-looking but not-entirely-helpful RPG adventure here, buried under a mass of presentation and control issues. Think of it as treasure under sand, bones and seaweed -- it's all a matter of how much digging you're prepared to put up with.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:54 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Either any game associates with movie will automatically cursed, or the game itself is really not that good.

Some players at GameFAQ message board pretty much complaining about the same things too.

The game probably mediocre at best. Another letdown for this year CRPG titles.

Next, SW:KoToR....
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:06 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I still haven't given up hope yet. I'll wait for more reviews.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:27 am

finally! an rpg made NOT for a casual player. my hopes just went up I'll get it, once I'm done with Gothic. btw, the link is for something else
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:11 pm

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I'm not prepared to dig at all anymore. I've had it with companies putting out unfinished and flawed mmorpgs.If the game dosen't meet my criteria,I won't play it.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:13 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Link is fixed now.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:26 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

What the hell is an "RPG for a casual player"?? Is it the same as "a book for a casual reader" - cheap paperback detectives they sell in subway underpasses, as opposed to hardcover tomes by classic authors? Are these reviewing sites insane? Why do they give the game such low scores just because it's not based on the stupid movie? I have NEVER bought any game based on a move which came out shortly after the movie in question hit the screens, because I consider such games to be low quality, hastily made rip-offs trying to cash in on the movie's popularity.

P.S. Two more things. 1) I'm glad this game isn't for casual players - Pepsi generation empty-headed "duuudez". They can go play Diablo II or something. 2) I still remember what score Gothic 1 got from GameSpot. Back then I still thought that GameSpot's opinion was reliable, and thus didn't buy the game until almost one year after it was published. IGN and GameSpot just aren't trustworthy.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:29 pm
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yep

Look at it this way. Sea Dogs 2 was pretty cloe to done before they struck a merchandising deal with Disney because of the movie and it's need for marketing material. Hell, the main quest isn't even the same as the movie. In short there really isn't anything that connects the game to the film except in name.
Thank god for small miracles because we all know games based solely on movies suck.
I was realy surprised by how much I enjoyed Sea Dogs. I mean really, pleasantly surprised. PotC is still Sea Dogs 2 to me, and I'm going to pick it up today, and if it's anything like it's predecessor (and it's better), I'll be very happy with it for a long time to come.
You really get to take on the role of a pirate (minus the raping) which is what the RP is suppsoed to stand for anyway.
I'll post some impressions later on after giving it a bit of a run through.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:22 pm
Utnayan

Made for Xbox.

I would review this game myself over at Guru3D, but we do not have an Xbox section.

If you have the Xbox console, this game was made for it. The control setups on the Xbox are FAR FAR better then the PC. Control on the console takes about maybe 30 minutes to get used to, without inverted disabling - but none the less Zelda TWW didn't have it either and that game was incredible.

The depth of play is fantastic. Everything from character advancement, through exploration, through fort sieges, fleet control - down to just being a trader, improving your ships guns, or exploring through dungeons and catacombs on the islands.

The PC version, to put it bluntly, would be awesome if you could adjust the control scheme. You can remap, but it doesn't do any good because it still feels so ackward. Again on the Xbox version, it's very simple to just hit a button or two and bring up an entire menu, flip the D pad to select, and hit the button to chose. I am so accustomed to it now that I just fly right through some ports when I am trading.

The review at IGN definitely didn't rake in enough advertising dollars this time around. Had you seen a nice big click ad shot of POTC on their website, that basically gets their reviews +5 to any score. No ads, and you see people much less kind. it's why I became a reviewer, because I was so tired of seeing reviewers being hoverred over by an editor saying "They spent a lot of money with us this month, let some of those faults slide and hype of the title" or they either turned their back and gave the game to the best basher in the company.

I have played this game for roughly 15 hours. Again, the PC version isn't NEARLY as good as the xbox version with the control set up, and after seeing the PC version's graphics -- Xbox hits 99% of what the PC can. Especially if you have a widescreen 51" Sony with the advanced AV pack.

Hands down this is one of the best games for the Xbox. If you have a choice, buy it for that. If you do not, the control schemes are still blown out of proportion for the PC version. It's awkward - but the steep learning curve itself is almost synonomous with it. So by the time you figure out how to actually play the game, the controls will come second nature.

There is just so much to do it is mind boggling. Too bad Bethesda didn't spend an assload of money with IGN to advertise this time around to get a decent review.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:52 pm

Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
What the hell is an "RPG for a casual player"?? Is it the same as "a book for a casual reader" - cheap paperback detectives they sell in subway underpasses, as opposed to hardcover tomes by classic authors?...

I think "casual player" here meant people who only play game OCCASIONALLY, not regularly, the general public, or, people who only buy 1-2 games each year. Since Bethesda marketing the game together with the movie, or takes the opportunity to sell the game through the movie tie-in to attract the "general public, casual player," then it is valid for that reviewer to comment about control setup either it's easy or not for non-hardcore player.

Probably what happening here is a classic case of game publisher who tries to pleasing two different groups of gamer - to get wider market for their games and more sales. Publisher/developer can't solely depent on hardcore market, which usually much smaller.

So far from some players experience, the game's control indeed rather complex, and need patient from player. Read the impression by George Riyan Bush and the list of keys you need to use http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1075958&p=3
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:50 pm