Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
RPG's, what's good about them? what sucks.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Is multplayer important in an rpg? Would you prefer pweettyness, or gameplay?
I'd prefer games that are have both.
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
I'd prefer games that look pwetty and have lots of talking but dodge gameplay, but it's made better by the look.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
i like to munch on babies.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
multiplayer and gameplay all the way, and dave rawks my hot pink socks.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by CrushDepth
This game is not a underrated masterpiece, it didnt sell well because its a bloody awefull game.

Quoting sales numbers is the worst possible example of a game being good. Its a sad fact of life that the masses are very very dumb, and to have a game sell a lot you need to suit it to a very very dumb audience.

Not that those games are particularly bad. Hell, Doom is a prime example, and like most people I love it. BUT you dont need a brain to appreciate that game, so it sells a lot.

PS:T however requires a considerable intellect to appreciate its many deep and varied nuance's.

Most of the worlds greatest musicians and artists are not appreciate by the masses, but that doesnt mean they "suck ass"...
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:23 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by Soroxide
Also uh.. an rpg with-out combat? that's called an Adventure game ^_^

Combat as an option to finish quest (game) not lack of it. Take Arcanum for that matter.
First town crossing the bridge.
1. High charisma/intelligence talk your way out of fight.
2. steal the key and sneak for the gate
3. do some chores for the thieves
4. and finally if you just want go through the game hacking and slashing, knock yourself out

quote:
well.. did you ever play it?

I have only opinions about games that I actually played
quote:
Seth.. know some one called Insanemal? If not, nevermind, just the name seth isn't too common and i know an rpg crazy seth. =)

Crazy…no but eccentric for sure

BTW nope to Insanemal
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:23 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
You two should go buy copies of Postal2, Daikatana, and Outpost. I'm sure you'll find them entertaining.

I liked both PS:T and Postal 2 .
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:16 am
Soroxide
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

mooohaha, well this was fun..
LOL seth.. Arcanum.. hrm.. see what im saying, why not just read a good story book?
Chekote - i noticed you said something about the worlds most famest artists..
how is building a huge statue of some garbish, that almost looks dangerous because it could poke some ones eye out, art? thats why there not appreciated. Any monkey can paint something or make a dumb looking piece of artwork if that were the case. *rolls a monkey in paint and lets it run across a piece of paper* perfect! i should go sell it for 5 million.
----- 5 weeks later -----
"hrm.... why doesn't anyone appreciate me! i try so hard, i used all my intellegance to think taht idea up."

And quite often quoting sales numbers is a good idea.. cus genearlly speaking, *cough cough* not saying i do this, but most crazy game players download the games before there releaced, try them, if there no good, everyone finds out that there useless and shoulnd't be bought, if there good, everyone buys them. Although agreed on ocasion some good games don't get enough credit.

Faviroute Quote ever. wd crushdepth ^_^ "PlaneScape Torment really, really, really sucked ass. The mindnumbing crippling boredom of clicking trough endless amount of boring text got to me like 8 hours into the game and i broke the friggin cd."

Dhruin - "plays itself without bothering the player with pesky things like interaction, story, choices... " - your seriously telling me that you couldn't work out how to play the game? grade 4? Theres a button to turn off auto-shooting
and if you had to watch your health constantly, you were obviously doing something wrong, cus that game was honestly simple. Not too mention the many numbers of storyline choices you can make when you talk to the npc's.

Chekote - "Good RPG's without Multiplayer:

Gothic Series
Fallout Series
Zelda Series (Excluding the new four swords, which wasnt that good anyway) "
hrm.. gothic was a terrible example. fallout was a good example! i admit there are a few, and zelda, was on a console, and im not talking about console games

hrm... why do you say, you haven't completed the game if you don't do all the quests in diablo? yes you have, when it brings up the ending movie, you've completed it. woohoo! that was hard? not.
morowind was crap. it was an adventure game ok? it was an adventure game, because, did you ever play.. hugo's house of horrors? thats exactly what it was like. but 3d and without the strange machine thing that switched your body parts around. but either way, it was a dodge adventure/rpg book.

"you cant call diablo an RPG either, its just a hack em up. " erm.. dude tahts what im saying, if it were only a hack em up game, thats what it would be, but it "HAS" a storyline, so it's not. because it has BOTH, UNLIKE morrowind, which is simply reading.

Anyway, now lets get back on track here.
Good rpg's should have multiplayer.
a decant storyline
character development
and some hack-n-slash

leave one of those out and you have a mixture for a simply put, bad adventure game.
^_^
E|Phaerie - lvl 83 mage (diablo II)
E|Phaerie - lvl 70 archer (Runescape)
E|Phaerie - lvl 34 mage (RiskYourLife)
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

In my book, no type of game needs multiplayer - in my best case scenario a game shouldn't have a multiplayer option at all. I don't want to interact with other people when I play.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:50 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:

"you cant call diablo an RPG either, its just a hack em up. " erm.. dude tahts what im saying, if it were only a hack em up game, thats what it would be, but it "HAS" a storyline, so it's not. because it has BOTH, UNLIKE morrowind, which is simply reading.

Every game has a story progression but not every game is an RPG.

RPG is good when it has high re-playability value.
My idea of good RPG:
Yes - good story
Combat – preferably TB (RT with pause ala BG is still good, but turn based is always #1)
Choices and lots of them (that’s where re-playability kicks in)
Memorable NPC’s
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:53 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

2 series:
gothic saga

final fantasy saga

they are (and I think they will remain) the BEST.
they have action VERY good story, freedom and unforgottable NPC.
You said that you have plaied MANY MANY MANY rpg.
If you haven't checked out them or plenetescape you have only played a very small part of rpg,just the point-'n'-click and shot-'m-up.
diablo was really a point and click, after 30 min of play ,my finger started to hurt.
Dungeon siege was only a "click potion button" adventure.
however i hated them because they were to much linear for me...
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:40 am
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

I think that "It would be great if there's Multiplayer Rpgs, thik about 4 guys playing gothic in the same time in the same world, wow!"
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:17 am
Soroxide
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

spike82 and Beliarsclew, man you too have it right. glad you gave your opinion with a smile ^_^
and didn't let my warped views piss you off
and i have playeda both of those saga's ^_^ nice games, lots of fun and re-playability. Well lol, it was fun stiring some peopel up, hearing some peopels views, see-ing how people re-acted, ect ect, have fun playing rpg's ^_^ cus rpg's == best games ever.
any of you ever want some one to play an rpg/mmmorpg with ya, send me a mssge gempotato@gmail.com, and ill surely join in ^_^
( don't worry im not a meen stuburn bstard as i may come across like on here )

later all ^_^
E|Phaerie - lvl 83 mage (diablo II)
E|Phaerie - lvl 70 archer (Runescape)
E|Phaerie - lvl 34 mage (RiskYourLife)
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:12 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I loved Diablo 2. I played it constantly more than any other game I've ever played. I filled up two aliases with high level characters... at least level 60 in each class except assassin. Highest level was a level 92 Necromancer.

The story was great and the cut scene where Tyrael fights Diablo in Tal Rasha's tomb was wicked... I love how the archangel looked.

You don't need endless dialogues to click through to have a fun CRPG.

Having a lot of dialogue can be fun, though. I loved PS:T ... it was relaxing to play because you couldn't die. Like reading a book in front of a computer. Which is also how Morrowind plays ... which is why I can only take Morrowind in week long doses. That's because I get wrapped up in the plots, though... in the same time it took me to get to level 15 my friend was level 44 because all he did was run around the world hacking everything up and getting super-powerful items I'd never heard of by running through every tomb, cave, and ruin in sight. That's just how he is.

The best RPGs let you play either way and still get where you want to go.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2