High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by TrUmaNshO
well...not for me...

um... TrUmaNshO, take a look at this website:

The Amateur Gothic Modteam
http://tagmt.devmode.de/

Click on English, then click on Download at the left. It HAS TO be there.

You might also try to download it directly using the following URL:
http://tagmt.devmode.de/downloads/g2demoenglish.zip

Hope this may help you...
Post Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:23 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

All links working fine for me, maybe it's some kind of proxy or firewall thing that makes problems for TrUmaNshO ?
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:27 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

TrUmaNshO, if my link doesn't work for youm PM me and I'll email it to you.

http://www.pitt.edu/~mev4/g2demo_english.zip
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:30 pm
Voltc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

HornOx can you please translate full game into english, i mean retail gothic 2 german, because, when i use those demo subtitles, then there are most of npc's missing in the game i bought german game, because i thought that i can oplay it with english subtitles, but now it seems i actually can't play it
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:50 am
Invictus_One
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why don't we all offer HornOX some monetary incentive to complete a translation for the whole game. It wouldn't have to be much but I'm sure if a bunch of us offered such a thing it would add up for him. Then we could just buy the German version and play it with subtitles. That way PB makes money, HornOx makes money and we all get what we want months ahead of the English release. But honestly, I don't even think there will be an English release anymore so this could be our last chance.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:49 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Voltc
HornOx can you please translate full game into english, i mean retail gothic 2 german, because, when i use those demo subtitles, then there are most of npc's missing in the game i bought german game, because i thought that i can oplay it with english subtitles, but now it seems i actually can't play it

Save games from the demo (i.e. demo subtitles) are NOT compatible with the retail version of Gothic 2. So, before you begin to use the demo subtitles, make sure your game is started in the full version (i.e. with original German subtitles) of G2.

P.S. Check your PM
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:06 am
TrUmaNshO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

there is absolutely no way to have english subtitles for the FULL german version? (even if its incomplete) if I take the english subtitles from the demo, will it work???
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:50 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

HornOx had a sophisticated program to grab the proper text out of the file and auto-translate them. That is an expensive software tool.

I tried to translate from German to English by hand and let me tell you, there is thousands of lines of dialog and it is painful slow. I gave up after HornOx released a decent auto-translation for demo only.

The voice acting can easily be added in. The files are not mystery; but compressed to save space. I fooled around with adding my own voice for main character and it can be done. We need to get together and test each other voice clips and see who may want to enunciate the words for each character.

Of course, this will totally ruin the gaming experience, for said Speech MOD since you will know all the plot, which was half the fun for the game. I wanted to avoid that; I wanted to enjoy the game with professional voice actors (which was reported already done).

So here we are; The one JW spokesman said he would have an important announcement regarding G2 in the next two weeks which was three weeks ago. Silencio, nada, nichts holen.

I read the company stock reports and meetings; next one is 5-14-2003; the whole Net says all different release dates- I think after the next meeting things will be more clear. It seems to be positive so far...but you never know...

I must admit JW is not doing a very good PR job nor give respect his die hard fans; we do make a difference. For every one post here; hundreds of other potential buyers will read this stuff. Good knows I wrote pre-views for several game retailers and word of mouth and board posting, that is alot of PR, more than I have seen from JW so far.

Yes we do matter, and if they want to blow us off -well, Doom 3; Rise of Nations; Deus Ex 2; alot is coming out this X-mas and they want to compete with the big titles for the already stretched holiday dollar?

I would have released it 3 months ago when there was nothing for games to buy, and that would have been good timing to market G2...

So anyone want to do voice acting?
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:46 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

For the record, here is my recollection of history of this translation stuff.

1. The German Demo is released. We all play it just to experience the gameplay and atmosphere, but everything is in German.

2. Horn Ox discovers the location of the German text in the G2 data files and replaces them with English text using an auto translator.

3. The first release of the demo subtitles is announced. Though lacking in basic grammar rules and often unintentionally funny, the subtitles are adequate enough for English speakers to "get it".

4. Time goes by and eventually PB releases an official Patch for the German Gothic 2. Included in this patch (in perhaps a side effect of the
build process) are actual english subtitles in an unrelated file. What probably happened here is that the English translation was probably getting wrapped up and PB had these files in their development enviornment. When the latest patch was released, the file just got carried along with other stuff even though it is not used in the German version.

5. HornOx uses the professionally translated English text from PB to replace the German text in the conversations. The other text areas of the game (such as the GUI) are still run through an auto translator.

6. The latest English subtitles are released and this is what everyone is using today. The English in this version is much more natural and obviously done by a human.

Now the question that remains is this:

Are the Englilsh subtitles that HornOx got from the official patch release complete -- or were they a work in progress? If they are complete, then is it not conceivable that we could use them for the full German version of Gothic 2?
Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:03 pm
HornOx
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
I tried to translate from German to English by hand and let me tell you, there is thousands of lines of dialog and it is painful slow.
The hungarian fan made translation for Gothic 2 is to 30% finished
quote:
[...]is it not conceivable that we could use them for the full German version of Gothic 2?
If you don't want to get sued by JoWood: No
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:16 am
TrUmaNshO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

yeah but no sigh of any english translation?
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:22 am
TrUmaNshO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well I now use the english subtitles (for the demo) in the full version and the npc which werent in the demo have english subtitles too!! I dunno why but I tried severals characters in khorinis and they all speak german, of course, but the subtitles are in english!

There are still some funny things though. Like when you speak for the first time to lothar in khorinis, you still have the message "you completed the main goal of the demo blalblalbla"

Anyway for now, there are not any bugs
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:06 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by HornOx
If you don't want to get sued by JoWood: No

Of course, I wasn't talking about replacing them and trying to resell/distribute the game.

The idea is for English speakers to buy a legitimate copy of the German version, install it on their computers and then replace the subtitles. It would be only for their personal use.
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:26 am
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If there isn't a source for the full English subtitles already, you may want to try Systran for translating. While it's far from perfect, it's enough that you can figure out what they're saying and use your own l33t English skills to correct it. I've got a copy of v4.0 Premium from work, so if you'd like something translated, let me know.
Post Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:51 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next