Usergroups
Wouldn't it be awesome if...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

What I meant was the good old normal multiplayer mode as we new it before MMORPGs, which means LAN games etc.

And LAN games for me usually means you play with your close friends in perhaps a computer school lab or at home if you have a minor network, like you could do in Baldurs Gate for instant. I wouldnt be interested to begin with to connect to a server in the same fashion as in Diablo II or CounterStrike and play with complete strangers when it comes to Gothic. That sort of thing works well with a shoot-em-up or hack-n-slash with little story, but for Gothic it would just remove the whole athmosphere.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:38 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk
That sort of thing works well with a shoot-em-up or hack-n-slash with little story, but for Gothic it would just remove the whole athmosphere.

Exactly..
The only obstacle for me would be that I know of only one person, a close friend of mine, who plays gothic as well,.. so,..

I think the situation is quite similar no matter of the location; the market for lan mp gothic would be too small to pay off.
An mmorpg, on the other hand, would probably pay off in a couple of months, which would be an outstanding achivement..
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:30 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

I'll leave the MMORPG to Warhammer Online, Very deep and involving story. Gothic should stay a SP RPG I wouldnt mind a co-op mode though; to go through the game with your buddy named "Me 2".

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:59 am
Greb Jnnayr
Village Leader
Village Leader

The down fall to american society is Reality TV and MMPORPGs. I think people are losing their sense of imagination. I have played the MMPORPGS, and they shouldn't be called MMPORGs, it should be called MMPOG, there is hardly any roleplaying, because they have no imagination, it seems that most gamers don't have an imagination to be someone else. It really ruins the game. Thats why I never play MMPORPGs. I am always reluctant to buy a game that adverises it Multiplayer then its single player, because that usually means that the single player will suck, and the multiplayer will not be far ahead of the single player.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:18 pm
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If I was making Gothic into a MORPG I would add different things.

First of all there wouldn't be one world for all the people who bought the game. It would be more like LAN or like a private online game hosted for 2-4 people.

Also you would need like a DM who would like change what the NPC's said so there could possibly be a story line, resurrect characters since they couldn't save, tell people to get in character, and adjust the diffuculty level. (like in the sleepers temple there could be more novicies and templars and 2-4 demons could appear when you destoried a heart)

There would need to be general character editing (different skins and names) and there would need to be certian starting packages. There also would need to be 2-4 more open huts per camp.

The DM's computer would need to be the host and he would need to be able to save the players progress so they wouldn't need 4-5 hours of free time.

That would be needed to make MMORPG of gothic work

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:56 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

@Noble_Paladin Still, those 2-3 people would need to know each other in order for it to work, but then it wouldn't really be an mmorpg, would it..
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:36 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

@x_Noble_Paladin_x--You almost just described Neverwinter Nights.
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:45 am
Ork_porK
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i like the idea of MP for gothic. instead of the same ol boring map you'd get a bigger one AND there should be a map editor for people to use. and instead of 2000 me's running around, u can choose to be any NPC type u want in gothic. u can be a bald templar or even an orc.. HEL!! even a shadowbeast or something like that!
Post Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:59 pm
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by HWFanatiC
@Noble_Paladin Still, those 2-3 people would need to know each other in order for it to work, but then it wouldn't really be an mmorpg, would it..

True I should of said Multiplayer
quote:
Originally posted by Gig
@x_Noble_Paladin_x--You almost just described Neverwinter Nights.

note to self: secretly buy NeverWinter Nights and dont tell anyone
Ahem.. Well... Umm... Gothic is better anyways and has a different interface and such and if I played NeverWinter Nights I would think of some way to make my Ideal Gothic Multiplayer different.

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:47 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

well then, when you buy nwn, make a gothic mod using the toolset and put it online

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:45 pm
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there at least a multiplayer mod out for gothic, one of my friends has the game and we are wanting to play together.

And I agree, Gothic shouldnt be a MMORPG, but simply multiplayer, the option to have another person join you, like over a lan. But MMORPG wouldnt be good for Gothic.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:48 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is no multiplayer mod. And thereŽll never be one.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:50 am
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My, my, your in a chipper mood today Gorath. I bet someone with some good netcode training could probably make a decent multiplayer add on/mod thing. Heh, some people can hope.

PS... tomorrow I shall be posting pics of my Gothic box and cd's as promised. As I do not have a webcam, I have to video record myself with the Gothic stuff, pull it through my Video Capture card, capture skills, upload them to Boomspeed, and then post them here. It is a time consuming process... and I have to work.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Kensomnia17
My, my, your in a chipper mood today Gorath. I bet someone with some good netcode training could probably make a decent multiplayer add on/mod thing. Heh, some people can hope.

Hardly. PB wanted to implement multiplayer in Gothic and cancelled it because it would have taken too much time. The search function should reveal the sad truth.

quote:

PS... tomorrow I shall be posting pics of my Gothic box and cd's as promised. As I do not have a webcam, I have to video record myself with the Gothic stuff, pull it through my Video Capture card, capture skills, upload them to Boomspeed, and then post them here. It is a time consuming process... and I have to work.

Okay.
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:47 am
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pictures.

Alright, I have the shots of me with my box, cds and jewel case... My Capture card is getting reinstalled... it doesnt like its drivers for some reason... Oh well... The pics will be up soon.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:16 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next