IWD combat
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

IWD combat

How does IWD2's combat differ from BG2's? I've never played either of the IWD games, but I'm a big fan of party-based combat (loved BG2 and Wiz8). I've heard that IWD2's combat is a lot different than BG2's however.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:15 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

IWD2 uses (a set of) 3rd edition rules, instead of BG2's 2nd Ed AD&D. This means changes to all sorts of things ranging from character classes through to the addition of skills and feats. This really changes how you develop the characters and their abilities, including combat.

However, combat mechanics are exactly the same. Same party system, same controls, same real-time with pause combat and so on. If you've played BG2, IWD2 combat is exactly the same, except for the die rolls behind the scenes and the cool feats your chars will have.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:49 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

And the fact that creatures have far more immunities to specific weapon types, magic is more powerful which helps the monsters more than the players, and combat overall is a lot more challenging.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:11 pm
Dhruin

Yes!
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:12 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I really liked IWD and I really like IWD2. Strange, because I do not like BG and BG2.
Reason? Probably there is far more fights in IWD and there is much more linearity in this game. But still, fights are nearly same (for me - I know really few things about those AD and D rules - there is now difference).
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:42 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
I really liked IWD and I really like IWD2. Strange, because I do not like BG and BG2.

Well, I really love BG & BG2, but I sure love IWD more. Reason? I guess it is that IWD is so very stylish. It seems quite simple, but I am fascinated by level design - plains of snow, blizzards, walls of ice... It is beautiful - clear and simple. In my mind it has much more "atmosphere" in it than in BG. In some places, especially at night, especially when the snow falls, and the weather is windy you can really smell the frost of the mountains... I love it.

However, BG are excelent series, and my judgment is of course very subjective.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:44 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok I like BG II , but I heard that IWD and IWD were al lot more "hack and slash" and not proper RPGs?

I like BG II a LOT is ace, and I will have plenty to do completing it and all the expansions inculding BG original and its expansions BUT when I do reach the end of that awesome journey, what next?

Will I like IWD and IWD II. Are they as good as BG II. Do they have the same kind of attention to details and dialogues, complex (and great characters) lots of NPCs and quests and talking?

*Prays they make BG III before I complete all the earlier ones*
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Bhaal saga ended in the Throne of Bhaal expansion. I don't see a BG3 in the future unless they start with a new character.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:24 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ahh ok I see , I havent got that far yet, I am still on BG II :p

Maybe they could use your child or something though, or the child of Minsc for amusements sake

Theres plenty of charcaters that could be the beginning of something new. Even a new world would be ok, I just want something as good and detailed and just damn well excellent as BG II is

Its rare to see a game that has really been given some time, love and care in its creation, the end result shows
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:38 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You'll definately want to get the Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2. It raises the level cap and improves on a lot of things. Plus, it makes the game last longer.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:47 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Val
You'll definately want to get the Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2. It raises the level cap and improves on a lot of things. Plus, it makes the game last longer.

Well I have it, or at least will have it in hands by friday Its in the post

Can I install it straight away then? Does it actually add into the main game even if I haven't completed the main one yet?

Or do I just play the extension AFTER I finished with the original?
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:55 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Since you are already a good ways into BG2, I'd say finish BG2, then install the ToB expansion and import your characters into it.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:20 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by DevilsBane
Ok I like BG II , but I heard that IWD and IWD were al lot more "hack and slash" and not proper RPGs?

Will I like IWD and IWD II. Are they as good as BG II. Do they have the same kind of attention to details and dialogues, complex (and great characters) lots of NPCs and quests and talking?

People here does not seem to show much respect for IWD Whatever! I loved BG series, and I loved IWD, these are great games, they work nice together, you should play IWD, IWD: Heart of Winter and IWD2 if you liked BG. Sure thing, there's more fighting. Plot is simplier, too. Characters are not that complex. But it has a very original setting, interesting story, perfect humor, and very nice feel of D&D in it. IWD2 also has quite a few puzzles to solve. Read some reviews, see if you like it.

Here are two nice reviews from AdrenalinVault. I love the second one - it is very to-the-point:
http://www.adrenalinevault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=icewd
http://www.adrenalinevault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=iwd2
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:32 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I'm current;y playing IWD2 at the moment and loving it. There is a lot more "roleplay" and NPC interaction then in the first one (which I also enjoyed).

Unfortunatley I accidently read a request for help on these boards that wasn't marked spoiler - so sadly, I now know who is to blame for all the troubles in the IWD - still I won't let it ruin the story for me.

IWD2 is well worth trying if you enjoyed BG, BG2 or IWD.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
I'm current;y playing IWD2 at the moment and loving it. There is a lot more "roleplay" and NPC interaction then in the first one (which I also enjoyed).

I also really like IWD2 and I liked IWD and I didnt like BG2 so much. I think that IWD2 is somehow not so full of hack and slash, so it is something between BG2 and IWD, but surely it is not so complicated as BG2,
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next