Small Soundcard Problem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Cam
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Small Soundcard Problem

This isn't Morrowind specific, but a problem I've had with my sound for a while. Maybe someone here has a quick solution for it.

Static, popping, and a kind of electric vibrato sound kicks in at various times. It's annoying and it happens on pretty much all the games I play at various times - usually in relation to how much brilliant white is on the screen, but not always. For example, I get it in MW if I look at the horizon and half the screen or more is sky. I always get it underwater. Sometimes candlelight in the game sets it off.

It's also interesting to note that if the computer is off and I turn on a lamp attached to the same powerboard, the speakers pop. It's not the speakers because I tried using headphones from the same audio-out, and it still occured.

Also, when it happens during gameplay, it can often slow the sound down, making dialogue long and drawn out. Happened endlessly in Max Payne.

But the interesting thing is, this problem isn't always consistent. First time I ran Max Payne it was fine, then forever after it was utterly unlistenable. I'm actually having to turn the sound off in MW when I go underwater because it's excruciating.

I'm using the last set of drivers released for the PCI64, which I think was in June 1999. But I think the problem is probably hardware-related. I'm hoping this is a common and rectifiable problem. It's been plaguing me for over a year and it's driving me NUTS.

I'm running:

Celeron 800
192 RAM
nVidia TNT2
Win 98
Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI64 Sound Card

Thanks for reading this far. All this aside, I'm having a BLAST with MW.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If turning a light on makes your speakers pop, sounds like you have a serious grounding issue there. Are you plugging your computer directly into your wall or into a power strip? Does your power strip have a 3 prong plug?

It COULD be the wiring in your house. Some older houses do not have proper grounding. Even if your wall plugs have the 3 prongs, there are two possibilities...

1) They did not come with the house and the previous owners were looking for a quick fix to plug newer electronics into so they replaced the plates with 3 pronged plugs...however, the actual wiring in the house may not actually support grounding...

2) The ground wire is not properly attached. There are meters you can use to test the grounding in your wall sockets.

If you do not want to or are not able to test this, a UPS would probably help, though it is an expensive fix. Plug the UPS into the wall, then the computer into the UPS...the computer would then be getting it's power from the UPS rather than directly from your wall. Should eliminate grounding issues....can not promise that, but it should take care of it.

Any other idears from anyone?

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Tue May 14, 2002 12:31 am
Cam
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hi Midiboy.

The computer attached to power strip which is attached to an extension cord which is attached to the wall socket. 3-prong all the way.

I've had this sound problem in this house, the last house I was at, and possibly the one before - so it's not unique to this location. Unless they all had bad wiring.

What's a UPS? Universal Power Supply? Where could I get one?

And thanks for the speedy reply. This board rocks.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 12:41 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm...well, the only other things I can think of then would be the computer itself...I wonder if it has some grounding issues...did you build it? Is it namebrand? The screws holding the motherboard to the case...are they standard screws or do they have the grounding thingies attached to them? Or are they plastic? (I use plastic...)

Most motherboard screws these days are metal, but they have a rubber thing attached under the head.

Also, I wonder if your sound card has the proper shielding on it? Maybe another sound card would do the trick? I would hate you to get a UPS if that is all it is.

Those are the only other things I can think of. I know that I don't have any trouble at all with it, and that is the only thing other than wiring that I can think of.

I wonder if it is just the sound card?

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Tue May 14, 2002 1:30 am