Just got Gothic, a little lost...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just got Gothic, a little lost...

I just got Gothic, and it looks like a great game so far. I have figured out the controls, but need direction. My character is too weak yet to kill anything aside from those scavengers so I assume I will just do quests from people. Is it recommended to try and do all the basic entry quests for the 3 camps to try and get the most experience or just concentrate on one camp that you want to join? Also, should I worry about spending my skill points wisely, for example if I get lock picking and decide I don't need the skill in the future will I have wasted the skill points I could have used on something more useful?
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:10 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Avoid combat until you´ve received or bought an armour and gained some Str.
Do the newbie quests for all 3 camps. You can earn as much XP with quests as with combat.
Talk to all named NPCs and save every few minutes. Some decisions have consequences. You will find one NPC who will guide you to the New Camp and one who´ll lead you to the Sect Camp. In both cases you should accept the offer immediately because it´s much safer than traveling alone and earns a lot of easy XP.
Character development is pretty straight forward. Your camp determines your career. Then spending your skill points is obvious.
Investing a few points in secondary skills is no problem. Of course you shouldn´t learn everything.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:50 pm
Samurai
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

^ What he said.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:29 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

You can be decent without an armour. Just get digger's dress from the free mine (for free) and pickup a protection amulet from one of the chests in Gomez's castle. That should be strong enough to beat blood flies and that guy who smokes weed all day in the sect camp. You are required to do that to join the sect camp.

You should go around to all camps to complete the requirement to join them without spending any skill points and make a big save afterwards. That way you don't have to repeat the most tedius part of the game if you decide to replay with a different camp or different class.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:42 pm
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is ore ever something you need to conserve or is there always plenty? I assume the monsters don't respawn? I'm on level 3 and spent all my skill points so far....did I make a mistake?
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:57 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by dschrier
Is ore ever something you need to conserve or is there always plenty? I assume the monsters don't respawn? I'm on level 3 and spent all my skill points so far....did I make a mistake?

There are going to be more than plenty of ore. I finished the game with 15,000 ore once, even though I have spent approximately 12,000 ore in amours, arms, and runes. Lockpicking and looting chests in this game is indispensible. There are ways to do it without spending any skill points. Also you need to learn hunting skills ASAP so you can take teeth, claws, and skins from animals and sell them. That's the first thing I would spend my money on.

Critters do respawn when you begin a new chapter.

No you didn't make any mistakes. It's just that, by saving all your skill points, you can try playing a different class next time you play without replaying the first phase of the game, which is the most boring part.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:16 pm
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've noticed that I only get about half the ore from selling an item as it is worth, is that just how it works, or is it based on your guild standing and/or the vendor you are trading with?
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:18 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by dschrier
I've noticed that I only get about half the ore from selling an item as it is worth, is that just how it works, or is it based on your guild standing and/or the vendor you are trading with?

that's always how it works except arrows and bolts. You can use arrows and bolts as a medium of exchange if the vendor runs out of ore.
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:23 pm
dschrier
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok cool, thanks for all the tips guys. This game seems to have an exponential enjoyment curve. At first it was rather ho-hum, but I've been playing for about 3 hours so far and it is getting much more fun as I progress!
Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:24 pm