Members
Usergroups
Morrowind is good
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Morrowind is good

All,

Morrowind is an excellent game. I don't play !!any!! games on the PC with as much enthusiasm and interest, ofcourse since ultima online and Everquest days. However, Morrowind puts many other rpgs to shame in world quality and depth of , well, I'll spare you that since you already know. This is one of few games I have ever played, where making new characters is FUN each and every time you do it. Is anyone else out there just making new characters over and over, A, because it's fun; and B, because you think you can tweak it a little better to your liking?
I have uncovered probably 20% of the map. I work alot, but I played about 12 hours on Saturday, and close to that on Sunday, not to mention all last week after release. It's such a huge game. I am truly awed by Morrowind and hope many great mods are in the making, since I'm too lazy to get back into mod making.
I've only gotten to level 6 since I've been loving the beginning game so much. I just hope the later part of the game is as magnificent as the first. Any comments on this? Anyone had a bad time with this game?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:16 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

The best thing about (well maybe not BEST but one of the cool things) morrowind is note he said he's uncovered 20% of the map? Well I bet of that 20% he's completed maybe 5% of all the quests/things to do there. Just like me. There's SO much to do in this game it's awesome. And I'd play it for the water, Storms, Dust storms and Sky effects ALONE! Amazing
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:23 am
Agamon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I shake my head about once every 20 minutes while I play, as it continues to surprise me.

I was hoping for a good game. I wasn't quite expecting this. A pleasant surprise.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:26 am

I picked up the game on Thursday and quickly made a guy to mess around with marvelled at the graphics and such. Went about my daily life stuff and really started playing on Friday with my new character, an assassin-type that I custom made.

The rest is a blur of magnificient adventures, daring battles, stealthy assassinations (all legal of course), daunting quests, and other jaw-dropping experiences.

To say I am pleased with this game is an understatement. I *TRULY* feel sorry for anyone who is experiencing hardware problems as I have not had one crash/problem yet. Furthermore, the game runs *EXCEPTIONALLY* well on my rig, which I'm almost ashamed to describe. Also, EVERYTHING is set to max as well, that includes AI and especially shadows. There is minor chop in town sometimes, but nothing noticeable. MY system is a..

P3 1 gig
512 PC-133 RAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4600 (set to 4x AA as well!!)
SB LIVE!
playing in 1024 x 768 with 4x AA and everything on max

MY character is now level 14? 15? and a prominent member of the Morag Tong, often doing jobs that take him all over Morrowind. This alone has opened my eyes more than anything as I travel about I contantly am amazed at just how huge this game is! Furthermore, the different areas one travels through are noticeable enough that you immediately begin to see different flora and fauna depending on the region.

(Minor Spoils? follow)
I think what really hit me though, was last night during one of my missions. I was given a writ to take down a necromancer living very far away on the north side of the island. Taking at least 5 boats just to make it near where this person was holed up, I set off to sights unseen and began exploring new lands, ever stealthy with bow out and arrow nocked. Making my way down the ravine I saw the area ahead teeming with creatures never before seen, so better than to engage the unknown, I went around them, choosing the high ground. After maybe 30 minutes of searching and wandering about lost I finally came upon my mark's dwelling. I changed my footwear to a more silent type, for better stealth and entered...

This place was like nothing I had seen before. The architecture was designed with a purpose in mind, with large open arena-style rooms and round hallways giving view, circling it all. I crept through encountering new monsters (won't spoil) and made my way eventually to the large necromancers chamber. After a long arduous battle, I came away victorious, leaving me with a view of his fine collection of books and other parephenelia. Thumbing through a book, I began to read something about sermons...then something else about gods and such. I was intrigued...

Well, after 2 hours of real time had passed, I finally stopped. What lay before me was approximately 20-30 books all of varying shapes and sizes, that I had just poured through. Not even realizing it, I was so engrossed in the stories and legends of this land. One particular book caught my eye especially, because, get this, it described an excavation expedition into a Dwuemer ruins that I had been in not 2-3 weeks of game time previously! It was such a trip reading this book and the description of a room, and then going, 'Heyy...wait a min-I've been there!'

It's when things like that occur that really make me realize what a superb job Bethesda has done with this. I won't even get into it in depth, but the things I've seen....the places I've gone...oh man...freakin HUGE! Amazing..makes other games pale in comparison.

One last note. I think I'm going to play a wood elf archer/scout next game. I've recently been having a TON of fun with the marksman skill and sneaking. My skill is low, only 40ish if that, but I recently acquired a long bow and would buy 200 arrows and take off in one direction until I run out of arrows. IT is soo much fun sneaking around, arrow nocked, looking for prey, jumping from rock to rock looking for the highest perch to site your next target. From 2-3 trips of this I've raised my skill a few points, and its not even major, but the fun invloved...to look down a chitin arrow shaft at a nix hound that must be 200-250 feet away, *barely* in range scraping about looking for food. Then to follow it's movements, account for range, arrow drop (Yes-arrows do drop in flight!), and other obstacles. To let loose, and see the arrow fly until it almost disapears, into the side of the hound, which drops like a sack of potatoes. I've taken down cliff racers in two hits, most lesser creatures in one, and damn its fun as hell....

So in short.... (too late I know)....Warning!!! This game is addicting as hell and proven to provide countless hours of enjoyment, fun and sheer excitement at least for one happy as hell customer.

Thanks Bethsoft....too bad its Monday...off to the real world..whimper..
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:55 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

*sheds a tear of joy*

Great adventure story erhmm..Anon guy..heh.

And yes, Monday, back to the real worlde (Thank god for nights)
Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:02 am
Mortanius

I also think Morrowind is an excellent game. I love the graphics, the storyline, the classes, races, everything. One thing i especially love though is being able to turn into a vampire. I really think this is an excellent rpg game, one of the best i've ever played. Stick with it, it will make an impression on what you think of rpg games forever more.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:49 am

Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was luckily off work today because I have been playing the last 26 hours straight (with short necessary breaks) I loved the game from when I started playing last week, but if anything the farther i get into it the MORE amazed I am and the more excited about the possibilities. I for instance did not do the first "real" dungeon quest for awhile as I didn't want to rush anything. As I explored the dungeon, I felt even more tripped out and amazed at the scope and quality of the game than I had been feeling.

Also as my character has achieved high speed and acrobatics scores I have really been jazzed with how quick the game can move and how far you can jump . The first time I conjured a bound longsword and banzaied through a tomb in 60 seconds or less was a real eye opener after the days of patient slow play that preceded it. The game can do THAT, too.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:49 am

Makes you wonder what kind of games we will have in ANOTHER 5 years.

I think I will stop thinking about it. I have to live through the next hour of doing nothing(on the clock) so I can go home make it to the next mark with my Nord spearman conjurer.

***Slight Spoiler*****

Conjured weapons are VERY MEAN.
with 85 endurance (armor and piercing stat) its a mean mean class.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:22 am