NWN: Infinite Dungeons Premium Module Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

NWN: Infinite Dungeons Premium Module Announced

This one caught me by surprise with NWN2 so close...BioWare has revealed a new NWN Premium Module titled <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com/premium/module_infinitedungeons.html" target="_blank">Infinite Dungeons</a>. And it does just that:<blockquote><em>You've journeyed to Waterdeep to explore Undermountain, the most famous dungeon in all of the Forgotten Realms. According to the legends, there's treasure to be won, puzzles to be solved, and a mystery that will lead you ever deeper… But the legends never told you how deep it truly went. <br> <br>Infinite Dungeons provides randomly generated adventures for characters of every level. Play with your friends or compete against your adversaries. If you dare, you can play alone. In the end, it all comes down to one question: Are you brave enough? <br> <br><b>Features</b> <br><ul><li>A New Dungeon Every Time - Each journey begins with the creation of a randomly-generated multi-level dungeon, tailored to your particular class, character-level, or tastes. Explore the winding warrens of Undermountain, the greatest dungeon in the Forgotten Realms. <br><li>Epic Levels - Infinite Dungeons scales to support the entire range of NWN characters, from the Level 1 beginner to the god-like Level 40. <br><li>Single Player - Adventure by yourself, gather hirelings, and try to better your high score. <br><li>Cooperative Multiplayer - Adventure as a party, sharing in the treasure, and bringing your skills to bear in every battle. <br><li>Competitive Multiplayer - Battle fellow adventurers in a no-holds-barred race to the heart of the dungeon...or to claim the high score! <br><li>New Creatures – Test your mettle against 7 exciting end bosses, each brought vividly to life by the talented DLA mod team. <br><li>New Music - Your battles will play out accompanied by another excellent score by community composer extraordinaire, David John. <br><li>Collaborative Development - Designed and implemented in a unique partnership between professional BioWare designers and community member Jason 'Elidrin' Lowry, creator of the Random Dungeon Generator. <br><li>Hours of Gameplay - This one's so big, we don't even know how to categorize it. The primary quest unfolds over 20 hours of gameplay. When you're done with our dungeons, we give you the power to control your own. <br><li>Starting Level - This adventure will scale to any character level (1-40, 5-30 recommended). You are free to use any of the six pre-generated characters that come pre-installed with Infinite Dungeons in level 5/10/20/30/40 variants.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Looks great - store says it is coming May 24th?

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 2:09 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think that I'll pass on this one. To me, randomly generated dungeons represent the most boring and weakest that the RPG genre has to offer.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 3:14 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz
I think that I'll pass on this one. To me, randomly generated dungeons represent the most boring and weakest that the RPG genre has to offer.

They sure can be - look at (PSP) Untold Legends, as well as Restricted Area and others and you see how bad they can be. The PSP FPS Coded Arms had awful random 'dungeons' and poor controls going at once

I figure that if anyone can make a decent hack-n-slash module with random dungeons, I'll put my few bucks with Bioware.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm
Father Omally

Bioware sucess through dedication and quality!

Praise be the loyal servants of gaming commerce that are the dedicated Brothers and Sisters of Bioware! They know how to rake in the cash while showing immense dedication to their fan base of followers thus even bringing in more fans into their warm business fold.Thank ye Bioware! May all your works past present and future bring you immense fortune and further respect! The power be yours!
Post Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 pm

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

The random dungeons in Fate weren't too bad, but those in Deyond Divinity were boring. I'm keeping a very open mind on this one. What I really want to know, is for MP, does everyone need to have the module, or just the server running it. Some mods force everyone to have it as you need to access special files found only in the mod!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 11:06 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

this sounds like a good idea, cant wait to play it.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 19, 2006 11:50 pm
Lucky Day

This isn't a shock to anyone that follows Bio's developments. They've been talking another NWN DD for awhile now and we haven't even seen the big DLA Team ones yet.

Remember, Bioware is not Obsidian. They have little to do w/ the upcoming NWN2. NWN1 is still cash for them.

I had not heard of Elidrin's RDG in a long time so it comes to me as a surprise Bio hired him. It looks like he's been keeping it up to date too.

If you want an idea of how Infinite Dungeons may look here is Eldirin's latest RDG mod numbered 9.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3885

Also, from what I've read there are 300 levels to this dungeon. I had also read from the developers that starting it at level 1 wasn't recommended but starting it at level 25 was.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 10:06 pm

Dhruin

Well, of course Bio aren't Obsidian but I hadn't heard Bio talk about more Premium Modules. I don't really like the Bio boards that much, I'm afraid, so I probably miss stuff there. As for the DLA content, that's been in the works for so long I have no handle on where it's at.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 11:09 pm
Lucky Day

I didn't mean anything by that Dhruin. In fact, let me say you do an incredible job here.

Since I run a PW I keep pretty close tabs on NWN. But the Bio boards get so inane sometimes I pretty much stick to what NWVault has to say about them.

With NWN2 there's an overabundance of info these days and I'm just waiting until it actually gets released. Posting any ideas there seems to get a response from the boards that whatever I bring up has been discussed 5x already (my last one was on building modern tiles without haks). My next one will be another case for a SetGender function. And not for the one shot joke either.

With the DLA team, in case anyone doesn't know, most of the talent there has been co-opted by Bioware themselves. The sharks in 1.67 for example were designed by them as well as the new colours for the pallette. This keeps them from the project that they set out to do in the first place.

About two or three years ago I pretty much guessed that both the DLA and CODI projects were going to be vapour ware.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 1:26 am