View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

What do we have to look forward to?

Hey all,

I was just thinking that I can cope with the current "drought" of decent CRPGs if there's something decent to look forward to on the horizon. Though I've nearly finished my re-run of Might&Magic7. M&M6 is next, then maybe 5. Hmmm, maybe Torment's worth yet another play through... Anyway, what's out there to keep the hope burning?

Dragon Age I don't know too much about this, and it's certainly a long ways off, but it has some good credentials.

Gothic 3 The biggy for this website I suppose. I played both the previous ones through and certainly enjoyed them a great deal. They're not really the hardcore CRPGs I'm hankering for though.

Grimoire Hmmm, almost didn't mention this one as it seems people are incapable of discussing the game without getting into the personal politics of Cleve. All I care about is will the game be worth playing? I certainly have some hopes for this one.

Oblivion I really didn't enjoy Morrowind too much, so I'm not holding out too much for the follow-up. Maybe if they can get some kind of coherent game in there this time... and a decent dialogue system would be nice too.

Fallout 3 I adored the first two - I must have played them both through a half-dozen times. Thus I really want a proper sequel. I don't want a Morrowind-with-power-armour though... I'm worried that's what I'll get.

Indie stuff I hear there's a new Spiderweb game coming out? I've tried to get into the previous ones, but just didn't enjoy them. I'm not sure why. Maybe the new engine will help? Any other indie stuff I should keep an eye on?

Russia + eastern Europe It seems that this part of the world is attempting to keep the CRPG dream alive. Though I heard Metalheart was poor. Will Hammer and Sickle get a decent translation? What about the Vampire-inspired Silent Storm title?

What games are you lot pinning your CRPG hopes on?

Mogwins.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:25 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oblivion seems to be the big one this year, and if it's predecessors Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind give any indication, it ought to be VERY good. It has already shown that it's got the looks.

Further we have Dungeon Siege 2, which actually seems to be a bit more RPG oriented this time.

As for semi-RPGs we have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Call of Cthulhu. Hellgate off into the future. On the MMORPG front we have Vanguard, City of Villains, Warhammer and Dungeons and Dragons.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is probably way into the horizon with Dragon Age and Fallout 3 (which hopefully will improve on it's mediocre predecessors, especially graphic-wise).

Maybe they'll also manage to release The Fall for the rest of the world soon!
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:15 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hey Hexy,

Thanks for your input, but I think you and I are looking for vasty different things in a game. I would in no way describe the Fallout games as "mediocre". Even graphically they had great style if not much "whizz, bang". I however rate gameplay far above eye-candy. I realise this isn't true for everyone.

I agree that Oblivion looks great. I remember being in awe of Morrowind too, at least graphically. For me though the gameplay just didn't match up. I found it to be a dull, unbalanced mess. Different strokes for different folks I guess. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

I didn't mention Dugeion Siege 2 as I honestly didn't consider the first one a game, never mind a CRPG. It looked good, but for me had all the gameplay of a non-interactive screen-saver (do they make interactive screen-savers?). I haven't followed the development of DS2 - you say they're putting some RPG elements in? Sounds interesting, though I shall wait until I see it to believe it. Have you (or anyone else) tried the demo? How did that play?

I'm not familiar with STALKER. Got a link? Call of Cthulu looks interesting in a non-CRPG way. I completely forgot to mention NWN2. I bought the first one (with both expansions) - they didn't really grab me though. I enjoyed the first half of a NWN eye of the beholder remake, but it tailed off towards the end.

Cheers, M.

EDIT: P.S. I don't play MMORPGs, though with the lack of single player games that are piquing my interest, I might be tempted to try one. What would you recommend?
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:37 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by mogwins
Have you (or anyone else) tried the demo? How did that play?

I tried out the demo. The gameplay is similar to the first game. They have made several improvements to the game, but not enough to make me pay full price. I'm going to wait for it to hit the bargin bin. You can read my impressions here.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:37 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Verdict: If you liked the first one, then you'll like this one. If you were indifferent about the first game, then try the demo and see if you like it.
I bought the first one early summer of last year for the Mac at Best Buy for $5. So I never had to make a value judgement. But playing the demo and weighing *that* against $50 ... it might be fun, but even during the demo I felt myself drifting off mentally. There is still too much of that 'attck and then check in to heal every now and then' feeling ... I want more serious role playing.

The F.E.A.R. demo I enjoyed much more ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:03 am
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hey Val, thanks for the comments about DS2. I think I'm with Mike though, I want more serious roleplaying. So Mike, what's FEAR? Is it to be our new saviour?
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:05 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by mogwins
Hey Val, thanks for the comments about DS2. I think I'm with Mike though, I want more serious roleplaying. So Mike, what's FEAR? Is it to be our new saviour?
In terms of RPG? No, it is just a matter that they were released at nearly the same time, and I just got back from vacation, so for me they hit simultaneously. FEAR is a horror-themed FPS. It is from Monolith, who brought us the excellent 'No One Lives Forever' FPS games, and has a new graphics engine that is truly stunning. In addition, the AI is really good - unlike many games that 'ghost spawn' enemies behind you for challenge, I saw one tip a shelf over and crawl under it for a low shot, and another crawl through a hole to try to flank me. The music and environs are creepy and suspenseful.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

English version of The Fall (http://www.the-fall.com/) should be released this year I think. Atleast its been on the making for so long it gotta come out sooner or later. My german speaking friend played it long time ago - wish I hadnt given up german in high school.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Oblivion
Dungeon Siege 2
Gothic 3

Wizardry 9 :]
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:32 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
.... it ought to be VERY good. It has already shown that it's got the looks.

and Fallout 3 (which hopefully will improve on it's mediocre predecessors, especially graphic-wise).

Graphics have almost nothing to do with rpg's. Some of the best rpgs currently available have horrendous graphics by todays standards. Graphics have their place in the scheme of things but how many rpg fans say "Look at those graphics, I got to have that"?

I have never heard anyone call fallout mediocre, it is considered by most to be one of the cornerstones of the modern crpg age.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:59 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek

*sings* Dreeeeeeam! Dream! Dream! Dreeaam!
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:30 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Val
quote:

Hey - I have an idea - they can get DWBradley right on it, and he can have it half-ready and released in no time

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Val
quote:

It's a great dream, though...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:47 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

what about the new might and magic game made by arkane studios?

Im look forward to that. I wonder if it will have a party or just one person.

It uses the half life 2 engine ust like vampire bloodlines. And personally that was the best game ive played in about a year the best crpg since um.... a long time probably since gothic 2

fantasy setting. Arkane had really good voice acting in arx fatalis english version. It was a well made game but short though and small. Hopefully the new might and magic is a lot longer.

All these things depend on timing though. It looks like oblivian will actually be out before a lot of these upcoming games and might make them all look bad.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:55 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

EDIT: P.S. I don't play MMORPGs, though with the lack of single player games that are piquing my interest, I might be tempted to try one. What would you recommend?

If you wanna go for player vs. player: World of Warcraft
If you wanna go player vs. environment: World of Warcraft or EverQuest 2

quote:

Graphics have almost nothing to do with rpg's. Some of the best rpgs currently available have horrendous graphics by todays standards. Graphics have their place in the scheme of things but how many rpg fans say "Look at those graphics, I got to have that"?

I have never heard anyone call fallout mediocre, it is considered by most to be one of the cornerstones of the modern crpg age.

Graphics are very important in terms of immension and combat/world interaction. Aside from that non-graphic text-based RPGs are more like novels, which I don't want to read while playing A GAME, I find that it's absolutely horrible trying to have any environment interaction/tactical combat in games like Nethack, Arcane Arena of Magic, Betrayal at Krondor etc. etc. Of course stats and quests are also important, something the Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind and the rest) have in abundance.

Fallout had some REALLY bad gameplay (combat and movement) and was quite buggy at it's places.
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next