Rapax Rift Trap
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Rapax Rift Trap

Um, guys (and gals) help. . I just stumbled into the trap with the heads that ooze lava. I portaled out before I died. Now I can't seem to get the gate open even after disarming the wall. Please tell me that there is another way to open the gate.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Before you entered the room with the dragon heads, you should have been in a small entryway. There's a hidden panel on (IIRC) the left side. I've always had a ranger's auto-search, so I get notified of the panel as soon as I enter that "entryway". I assume you could use the regular search key to find it as well.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:07 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

After using the panel, close it. Wouldn't work for me till I closed it. If it's the panel in the Lava room trap.
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:15 pm
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Does it work if you already set off the trap?
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:08 pm
otter
One of Us

oooh! that's a good one! I don't think they thought of anyone Portaling out of there in time...Not on Ironmode, are you? Got any saves from before that?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:50 am
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

#@_()*&%()&)(!@#&)(#&)(&)#(&%)(&!(^@%$(&@#_#)*(*(#!&*(@#()*#(*#*&)#(&)(#*&)(*&@)(*&)(*@#

Whoa, thats alot to say in one breath. Unfortunately The saves I have are from further back than I want to bother with. Guess I will start over from the beginning. Time for the next party composition

Fighter, Fighter, Ranger, Gadgeteer, Priest, Mage.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I feel your pain- I gave up on a party and started over from the rift twice. Think of how much better you'll do this time thru. Your party looks solid, although you might consider replacing one of the fighters just for variety.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:44 am
otter
One of Us

Or make one a Mook and one a Liz, that'd be pretty various.
But i'm more for a Lord, building up Mace skill. The most effective close combat combinations are Lord with Mauler/DE and Fighter with same. Then comes Samurai with either Muramasa or *Light* and Enchanted Whackyslashy.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:00 am
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I am a brute force kind of guy. I use the two lizzy fighters. I dual wield them both. Some may ask why not use lords? I like making level up decisions easy for myself. After I finish this time around. I am going to try an all hybrid party. Samurai, Lord, Ranger, Monk, Bishop, Ninja. Oh God, am I going to need a lot of experience points.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:16 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

no sand kicked in my face

I have 2 fighters, one with Fang and the other has Sword of Breezes, A priest, gadg, ninja and Bard. I miss a ranger but have sparkle's alchemy cranked up so I visit the Umpani to use him for mixing. and the Ninja is slow to level. I've restarted alot, no big deal and you'll know if your team is any good by the time you meet Gregor. My theory is if the fights are massacres early than forget about it. Two fighters are great, just get everyone in range, someone with good range spells helps in the big fights. And hit F6 alot.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:27 pm
otter
One of Us

@Shadow_Fyre; take away the monk and ninja and you have one of my favorite foursomes. With only four, you don't need as many XP!!! (You can, with patience, bring anyone's L&T up to 50 or so--high enough to be augmented by spells--in one level as a Rogue)
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by otter
Or make one a Mook and one a Liz, that'd be pretty various.
But i'm more for a Lord, building up Mace skill. The most effective close combat combinations are Lord with Mauler/DE and Fighter with same. Then comes Samurai with either Muramasa or *Light* and Enchanted Whackyslashy.
I'm thinking a properly buffed "fists of fury" monk can hold his own. What he might not have in raw damage is compensated by the number of attacks and criticals. (couldn't let my favorite class be left out of the discussion )
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:15 am
otter
One of Us

I just prefer classes that can wear Infy Helm.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:18 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Before you entered the room with the dragon heads, you should have been in a small entryway. There's a hidden panel on (IIRC) the left side. I've always had a ranger's auto-search, so I get notified of the panel as soon as I enter that "entryway". I assume you could use the regular search key to find it as well.
Backing up a moment - it's the panel on the right, not the left. On "normal" mode (I don't know about expert) you'll get a message indicating something is there whether or not you have a ranger. I don't remember what I did first time through. But this time, after a few failed attempts I avoided the lava problem by running (not walking) through the area, and the trap never sprung.

On the argument on which class is best, it's a matter of taste. The only class I've duplicated between my two parties is monk; and that had to do with the psionic spells, not that I loved the class so much. Now I haven't run a thief, fighter (other than Sslar in the demo), alchemist or psionic yet. But my favorites so far have been the gadgie and the bishop. For my next party I'm considering the 4 classes I've missed + bishop + ranger. Probably too light on the fighting and too heavy on the spells, but it will be playable.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:15 pm