RPGDot Feature: The Age of Decadence - An Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPGDot Feature: The Age of Decadence - An Interview

With the opening of The Age of Decadence offical site, we can finally roll out a lengthy interview on this intriguing game. Controversy aside, this turn-based, dialogue-heavy title appears well worth a look. Here's a sample:<em><blockquote><b>RPGDot: Let's talk about character creation and development. First, AoD uses a skill-based system, although a class is also initially chosen. Can you elaborate on this?</b>
<br>
<br>Iron Tower: It's not a class, but a background. It's what you did in the gameworld, before the in-game events. It helps defining your character better, establishing his ties with various factions. For example, a thief starts as a member of the Thieves Guild (joining it on your own is more complicated than walking in and asking for an application form), gets a reputation bonus when dealing with shady elements and factions supporting the Thieves Guild for their own reasons, and a reputation penalty with the Imperial Guards and the Merchants Guild.
<br>
<br>The background doesn't restrict your character in any way. A knight may specialize in combat and serve his Noble House in that capacity, or he/she may specialize in diplomacy or stealth. An assassin can rely on a quick blade and Critical Strike skill, or on poison and charms, and so on.
<br>
<br>Backgrounds are optional, you don't have to choose one, in which case you will enter the game world as a stranger. Nobody knows you, which could be a good thing or a bad thing; depends on how you look at it.</em></blockquote><br>Head <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1227">here</a> to read it all. Two of the screenshot sets are laid out to give simple examples of the dialogue flow, so make sure you take a look.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 am
Amasius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Interesting. Sounds very promising and I like the roman setting. Good Interview without PR-bullshit and this answer ist just awesome:

"RPGDot: What sort of enemies will players encounter and how advanced is the AI in combat?

Iron Tower: We have a large variety of the most horrible and wicked monsters you've ever seen in a game - humans. They really are the worst and no ogre or a lizard can hold a candle to them. We have greedy humans, treacherous humans, bloodthirsty humans, evil humans, and even stupid humans. If we have time, we'll add lawyers and publishers."

No Giant Rats or Orcs? I wouldn't miss them.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:22 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Great interview. Very indepth, and you asked a lot of questions I didn't even know I was curious about. I think he kind of side stepped the single person TB combat question and used a little hype there, but I can forgive.

That is really the only thing I can knit pick about. Heres hoping part 2 will have parties or at least controlable npcs for "more" tactical combat.

I know some people do not like when single player games lead to being a jack of all trades (ie: Dungeon lords), this game doesn't seem like it will do that, but I do like having a party and specialized characters and having a jack of all trades party.

Anyway, great interview, and this looks like it will be a fantastic rpg.
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:43 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Never heard of the game before, but it sounds quite good. It does have the extreme downside of reminding me quite a bit of lionheart, but hopefully they will do a much better job. Is this looking to be an independent game or a more commercial one? When it comes to RPGs I find I have more faith in independent games these days.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:27 am

You're in luck. It's independent.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:52 am

Dhruin

How do you get Lionheart?

It's turn-based, Roman-inspired and is low-magic. Anyway, a completely independent game - as the intro says, there are only 4 core developers. You've probably heard of the game before - this is Vault Dweller's (from RPG Codex) game, which we posted about a few times.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:10 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

An interesting interview, though I rarely play any game where I can't be a mage. One area that was not covered, was character development/progression. Are there levels etc? Do you get the same Exp for using diplomacy as for using combat? I loved PS-T for giving MORE exp for diplomatic resolutions than for simply killing and taking what you want.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 am
VD

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
An interesting interview, though I rarely play any game where I can't be a mage. One area that was not covered, was character development/progression. Are there levels etc? Do you get the same Exp for using diplomacy as for using combat? I loved PS-T for giving MORE exp for diplomatic resolutions than for simply killing and taking what you want.

Good point. Let me clarify

There are no levels. HPs are static, so no 200HPs behemoths by the end of the game. You gain Skill Points for solving quests, not for killing things (which means there is no reason to try to kill everything in sight). Some ways of solving quests get you more Skill Points, some get you less. Helping a bit in a certain sitiation, for example, will get you 4 SP; getting really involved and resolving the situation will get you 10 SP. Something like that.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:46 am

corwin

Thanks VD, that clarifies an important aspect of the game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:43 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Why, that was an interesting read. Hope I'll be able to keep track of this little charm with all the loud mouthed noise around.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:14 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wonder if there are any people that won't bother with the game since VD is behind it? I also wonder if the graphically-challenged game buyers like Sam will pass it up because of the graphics? Or if Priest4hire thinks this is the wrong direction for rpgs to take and is to steeped in stupid, outdated mechanics?
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:43 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
How do you get Lionheart?

Well it's a historical based fantasy game that takes place after a magical apocolyspe. It has a character development system that reminds me of lionheart, and the emphasis on different factions and multiple solutions to problems (usually inlcluding diplomacy) also sounds like what lionheart was supposed to be like (and was like in the first 25%).

Lionheart may not have been low magic, but it had the same magic is horribly feared and mistrusted by the general public thing going. But I'll grant you that turn based combat is rather different.
Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:45 pm