0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

What makes a Great RPG ??

I was browsing my games shelf tonight and I wondered what would entice me to play or replay certain games......
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The story. For me, it's like re-reading a favorite book. If the story isn't good, then what's the point of playing again?
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:36 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

What, combat system and freedom of movement etc. aren't important?

Oh well, I guess I'd have to say NPC quality, because if the NPCs aren't well made, you loose much of the immersion.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:46 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

why is good dialogue choiches and good dialogue trees not in the list? I think they are very important if you want to roleplay a game.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I totally agree with tolgerias. good dialogue choises and dialogue trees are very improtant for a good RPG.
But for me the most important part must be the setting. I don't underestimate the importance of story, character system and combat, but still I am getting a little tired of exploring world that feel as if they are coming from a broken universe matrix that instead of doing different world does one and the same all the time.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:38 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'm with Val on this one!! Story, then characters.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:39 am
Dawnblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im for the story aswell but i have to say that i like whole party rpg's and not the single player 1's.I love party building like in wizardry 8.There is so many options which i find makes the game a better experience.The setting is also important but as for the graphics.It doesnt really mater.Im playing Black Crypt at the moment from my old amiga and u get used to the graphics pretty quick.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:50 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Of course, choosing just one is misleading - I'm sure we can all dip into our game collections and memories and find games with a good story, and not much else. Or great combat or setting or interesting characters ... there needs to be some confluence of these. But at the center of it all, for me, is the story ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:42 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

What about actual role-playing elements? Not much of an RPG without those.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:58 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

To me, the actual story itself isnt all that important when it comes down to brass tacks. It's nice, but I can pretty much take it or leave it. Set me up a real bad entity or two, wind me up, then let me go save the world. That's what 99% of the stories boil down to anyway.

To me, a good RPG is all about immersion into my character and world. Sometimes the character is a sort of alter ego, sometimes it's a bit like a sort of pet or cyber offspring, in any case I want it to be a beautiful and powerful growing entity to behold and live vicariously thru. The more customizable, the more interactive, the more freedom of movement in the world, the better. Good graphics helps in the immersion for me, therefore at least passable graphics are high on my list. Freedom to explore as much as I want, even into harms way, is a big plus in my book. Well written dialogue and NPC personas are definitely a big plus as well, helping one to absorb the feel of the world.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), gameplay of course is central to any game being worthy of play no matter what the genre. Varied and progressive combat experiences are essential to a good RPG, the way I see it.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:22 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

xSamhainx.....

You have hit it exactly as far as I am concerned, but I couldnt actually figure it as you did.....

We all know that role playing is just that....playing a role...being someone / something else for a while and moulding that "role" as you see fit.

I need a game to allow me to care for my character(s)...become emotionally attached to them and give a damn about consequences.

There was a point in KoTOR2, where you have to control a droid so that you can open access ways from the opposite side from you....he was doing good and when he got shot and disabled I felt a sense of loss..

The game had got me emotionally attached to this little guy.

Maybe this (emotion) was more prominent in the PnP days when it was a social thing and a lot of the admin was done by hand.

Sorry about any missed out categories (combat etc;).

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:34 pm
Zebulon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1.large world to explore ( like in morrowind) and it should look nice ! ( not like Morrowind:-) maybe more like in Gothic2)

2.building up the character´s skills ( remember might and magic 3 + 4 ? this was _fast_ leveling !)

3.manipulating stuff: finding objects/materials and combine them to other..(this is even more interesting than exploring the landscape...
(like the alchemy system in M&M6 and >
[Every company puts all efforts in hot-ass-graphic-engines instead of large object databases...sigh]

4.personality of the NPCs . Wiz8 (mentioned above) is a good example...

5.Sound and music not to forget..

ZEb
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:16 pm
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

I think that the atmosfere is most important yet i don't see it in the poll options. Still, i voted for story.

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:07 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

A bio-mechanically engineered, anthropomorphic praying mantis army piloting spaceships! Where's it at?!

Otherwise, interaction. You can have a bland story (damsel in distress), but if there are interesting interactions then it can be quite good. Followed by atomsphere, story, characters, setting etc.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:44 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I think replay-ability hinges on character development for me. There's not much reason to replay a game if the experience will be nearly identical every time. I've put together nearly 100 parties in Wiz8 just to see how their skills will mesh. Before Wiz8 came out, MM7 was my all-time favorite game for much the same reason.

For that matter, character development is probably the key for me the first time thru a game as well. I wouldn't really say that I truly roleplay, "becoming" the character/party, but I almost develop a parent/child relation with my characters--helping them grow and molding them into world-savers. It's that attachment that keeps me playing a game.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next