Need something to compare to
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
scruffyronin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need something to compare to

I'm the first person I know who's played this game and I think it's great. However I'm still poking around Chapter 1 and running into things that just annihilate me (skeletons with whacking huge swords, wargs, black goblin swarms, big lizards, shadowbeasts) so I'm wondering at if I'm far enough along to continue to chapter 2 (I think I know what I have to do to continue).

I'm a Merc, Lvl 8, 33 Str, 20 Dex, 20 mana, 30% 1 hand, 15% 2-hand, 17% bow, and 10% crossbow. I've learned pick lock, forge, trophy (with shadowbeast horn), and alchemy (only 1 recipe so far).

So is this about right for starting ch2 or should work at getting a few more levels before I continue? Do the quests I haven't completed stick with me?

Thanks!
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:48 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Re: Need something to compare to

Welcome to the boards!

One of the many allures of the game is the fact that you can actually come across an enemy that you are not strong enought to beat as of that moment. It adds to the game experience, and don't let it discourage you.

Level 8 seems quite okay for entering chapter 2, although I would go for another level, or two if possible. It will make your life a bit easier in the valley.

Unfinished quests stick with you until you finish them (or not).
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:46 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Some quests have a time limit though. Do as many easy ones as you can.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:34 am
Clueless
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just so u know: Xp for most quests increase after each chapter, so a quest that gives you 100xp in chap 1 could give you 750xp in chap 5.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:33 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

umm clueless are u serious ??? i didnt know that for real lol
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:19 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Just some of the small side quests. Info for Garvell etc.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:26 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I would follow everyone's advice here, and go clean out as many plants and animals as you can in chapter one, and buy healing potions and picklocks as much as possible. Then they will have new supplies in chapter two and you can really stock up. Plants respawn as well as some of the beasts. Just save, save, and save again if you wander outside the city. All the badies you can't beat now will still be waiting for you so take note of where they are and you will be better prepared for them.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:42 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

If you need more tasks to get XP find the thiefs guild.
Anyway I dont want to discourage you but alchemy?,forge?,cutting shadowbeast horn?????? that was just waste of LP in chapter 1.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:55 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

just an advice: don't stress about xp too much..you get lots and lots of it during the game by killing monsters and doing guests..just enjoy the game and if you make few bad choises come back to learn a bt more from various trainers or find better equiment, then go there again

also

quote:
Originally posted by balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
If you need more tasks to get XP find the thiefs guild.
Anyway I dont want to discourage you but alchemy?,forge?,cutting shadowbeast horn?????? that was just waste of LP in chapter 1.

PART of ROLEPLAYING is to make good and bad choises.Besides how do you know if he wants to play a hunter?then knowing how to cut a horn becomes quite usefull..Besides you can make lots of gold with such skill.I don't think it unusefull at all!Later on you need quite a lot of it .Also alchemy is very good skill to learn after you know the receptes for permanent potions(like strenght and such).Let him play the game way he likes and be not so fast to judge has he made a bad choise or not.5 points here or there mean nothing at the end.After you have beated a game you surely have more of them than you need.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:38 am
scruffyronin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the responses. I used some sneaky tactics on some baddies (lighthouse) and managed to make level 10 (Merc). Decided that was enough to warrant going to chapter 2.

At this point I' m Str 39 (Innos has been good to me), Dex 21, Mana 21, 37% 1-handed, 25% 2-handed, 17% bow, 10% crossbow.

As far as my variety of skills go, well I had/have no idea what skills I would NEED in ch1, (having no one to discuss it with) so I tried to get as many as possible, figuring that I would need them eventually so I may as well get them now. I always tend to get a wide variety of skills in any RPG (computer or paper), so this is just me. I find forging particularly attractive, even if I'm not apprenticed to Harad (Bosper instead). At this point the only thing I haven't learned is pickpocket and runes, which I doubt if I get. Sneak is looking especially useful.

I'm curious though, should I hoard the makings of permanent potions (ie dragonroot, king sorrel) or should I trust that more will be available?

Also, how tough do you have to be to take on a shadowbeast? Those things are nasty.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:48 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

In gothic2 its more usefull to consentrate on few skills more than trying to master all of them,which is impossible.If you try that you end up with a character who is not very good in anything..and your life in later chapter becomes veryhard.

so as a merc forget mana, you don't really need it at all.Sneak is something you don't need either unless you like to sneak in people's houses.Otherwise it doesn't have much of a use.

Forging is very usefull for a merc on later chapter.Also you should learn how to take dragon blood when you have a change...

Then becomes a thoughter choise do want to fight with 1-handed or 2-handed weapons?both have good and bad sides.Most 2 handed weapons require more strenght to wield, but can deal much more damage and have longer reach.One handed weapons are faster and a bit easier to use imo, but they don't do as much damage as most 2 handed weapons do(thought are few good 1-handed weapons out there, so is more of a matter of taste which style you prefer).

when you get either one of those skill to 60% you're a master(you notice then how your fighting gets much better) and you have 60% change to do a critical hit.

Bows and crossbows are a bit different thing.Bows require more DEX and don't do as much damage as crossbows do, but on the other hand they are faster.Xbows deal more damage, require lesser dexx and are a bit slower to reload than a bow.I prefer xbows, but at the end this is up to you to decide.

Dexterity is vital for longrange weapons and thiefing skill(like pickpocketing and picking locks).picpocketing is something which lets you earn lots of gold, but is not really needed.

Strenght is needed for melee weapons and more strenght you have, more damage you do with them.

As a merc you can't learn runes.Only magic you can use are scrolls.

And what comes to alchemy ingredients: King's sorrel is extremely rare.every time you find one of that particular plant, get it, but don't ever EAT it!There is no worse way to waste such a rare plant.Dragon root is also very rare thing to come by and same applies to goblin berries, even thought there are more of those than dragon roots.To learn permanent potion receptes you will need to learn either all 3 reqular health or manapotions.

Last edited by Dez on Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:03 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe Dez u have done a nice help tutorial for all gothic beginners it should be as sticky somewhere so many other users wont post same posts all the time ehe
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:29 pm
scruffyronin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Dez. I don't plan on trying to be a Master Alchemist, but I want to be able to brew up the permanent strength potions, and maybe the Dex potions (depending on my dragon root supply). I've been hoarding my king sorrel and dragon root (4 and 3 respectively) and I've found which potions I need to get to learn that one so I'll work up to it as I have time. For my next few levels though I'm pumping LP's into melee skills.

The info on ranged weapons was very helpful. I might switch over to a crossbow since my Dex is not that great.

Is there any sort of an online tutorial on fighting? I do fine one on one with most things but if I get 3 or 4 critters on me I am in deep trouble.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:22 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Dez, where were you when I started the game? Very nicely said. I agree, maybe this can be sticky until Gorath gets the guide done he and others are working on. It would save a few mistakes for new people and questions.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:12 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

thanks for the feedback .Glad that i was able to offer some help.

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
Dez, where were you when I started the game? Very nicely said. I agree, maybe this can be sticky until Gorath gets the guide done he and others are working on. It would save a few mistakes for new people and questions.

I was probably playing gothic 2 like yourself
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:48 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next