View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
UniXistent
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Running the game?

Heya,
Just bought the game today, looks wonderful; however, I'm having severe difficulties with framerate lag. (Everything on lowest settings yet still a horrible framerate)

My specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 2.40 GHZ
1792 Ram
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 128mb AGP graphics card

My question is, I hear that the graphics card is probably my major problem, but, would I be better off saving some money together for building a new computer (better ghz, memory, etc, and PCI Express 16 slot) or sticking with this system (only AGP compatible) and upgrading to a geforce 7800 256mb AGP?

Would the graphics card upgrade make that big of a difference? or worth the money investment?

Thank you.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:30 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Honestly I dont know...but if I was in your situation, I would save up for a 3.4Gig Processor, and additionally buy the Geforce 7800 256mb card!!...but thats only my opinion.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:23 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

FX 5500 old card now, was never a real graphics card. It was ment for web browsing and office programs, not for 3d games. Its great for text editing, but thats about it.

You will get a big boost if you just get rid of that piece of dated non-gaming hardware and get yourself a real graphics card.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:36 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Man, that is really piece of unbalanced hardware you have there.

1792 RAM and FX5500 GPU, what have you used the computer for?

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest to spend much money on expensive graphics card. However you can get very significant performance boost by just buying some better and still cheap GPU.

I think you have two options:

1) Buy a new GPU and stick with current computer. I suggest something like 6600GT or probably a good piece from 6800 NVidia's line. I wouldn't spend so much money for 7800GS for your "old" computer. This way you should be able to enjoy Oblivion with decent settings.

2) Buy new computer. This will cost much more money and it should get you more details in Oblivion.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:58 am