Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wheres the dang shields?(Or: Whats the point of 1-H weapons)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah although it is set in the same place its not a follow up of bg2 if it was then why wouldnt they call it bg3? wouldnt that make more sense than mking a whole new series?
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:47 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i wouldent add shields in the game. maan just think about it every daamn RPG has shields and shjit. Just think about it maybe all ppl and all that is in a very old time(Gothic) and they dont know yet about shields u know ppl are dumb also . Imo Gothic series are damn good and i think shields would deffenetly make it a regular RPG. but still one thing i want back and thats my only request i would want back and thats Rice Schnapps (gothic 1 had that drink )
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:24 am
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i'm a lil late on this topic, but,

Only thing a shield would be good for in this, game is chances for blocking arrows, other wise, why else would u need it if ur good enough to block weapons with your weapon? only weapon u can't stop is an arrow>>---> lol other wise it just be for looks and a waste
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:49 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

NWN is a follow-up to BG, because they created it instead of creating BG3. The reason why they didn't call it "BG3" is because it's in Neverwinter, and has got nothing to do with the city Baldur's Gate, even though Baldur's Gate is just a little to the south of Neverwinter. It is based on the same system of fighting(AD&D), on the same series of books, on the same land(Faerun), and at the same time, but at a different place.

The producers said "With BG we created a legend, with NWN we made something greater than that" or something similar.

It is supposed to be a better version of the same kind of game, due to the fact that they "took the best parts of BG, and added great graphics and some new excellent parts".. which is wrong in my opinion. They added too much at once, making the game lose its "magic".

This also happened with the Might and Magic series, and I fear it might happen with Gothic as well, unless PB is very careful not to add too much at once.

BTW. Attention people, listen to Daedalus, he's a "veteran" to the Gothic series, and like I've said, big changes in the Gothic series will make the series become a regular RPG. Keep in mind, most of the old "Gothic-only" players in here play Gothic because they(we) think it's one of the best games out there, and feel that the other gamecompanies should try to get ideas from Gothic, not the other way around. I have no idea who's got the record for beating Gothic 1 the most times in here, but I can assure you, it's not under 30 times, and that says something about replay value.

Edit: A little thing about variety. There is a difference between variety in a good way, and variety in a bad way. In a good way means that you have enough choices throughout the game to give it a high replay value. In a bad way means that you've got a zillion different possibilities, making the game boring: It would be too difficult to master, and it would have too many possibilities to explore. It's all about balance.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:35 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yes bce meaning being able to block all the kinds of weapons including arrows and bolts so that you at least have a chance against those damn bastards shooting at you from 50 yards away

ps: i'm one of those bastards
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:51 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

armor will defend urself from arrows and bolts
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:42 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well…it’s time once again for me to throw in my two cents worth. Under recommendation (and pure curiosity) I played the BoD demo and was very impressed with the combat sequences. Not much of a RPG though, from what I saw it was more like a medieval Doom. But we’re talk’n combat and shields here and BoD is a clear example that a combat system incorporating shields with other weapons works very well. What really impressed me was the style of the combat. Everything was slowed down; the opponents took their time calculating their next strike and it just seemed like a more realistic way to do battle. I think (imho) the Gothic series could improve upon the fighting techniques that take place between the hero and other NPCs.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:06 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Ragnar glad to know you liked it.Nowdays it can be bought with 10 euros, so if you happen to find it somewhere and want to play more, its good investment for you money

Its not much of rpg expect when you gain more levels you are able to do better combos and special moves..But combat system like that could be incorporated easily to a real RPG like gothic or morrowind..
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:23 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
i wouldent add shields in the game. maan just think about it every daamn RPG has shields and shjit. Just think about it maybe all ppl and all that is in a very old time(Gothic) and they dont know yet about shields u know ppl are dumb also . Imo Gothic series are damn good and i think shields would deffenetly make it a regular RPG. but still one thing i want back and thats my only request i would want back and thats Rice Schnapps (gothic 1 had that drink )

umm, shields are alread in the game, on the walls, etc. They kno wof them.

To say it would make it like every other rpg....hmm...
dragons......orcs......rats.....
yea.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:31 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's just it.. it is very much like every other RPG, but still it feels different. There is something about the chemistry in Gothic which makes it unique, at least this is how I feel. I don't like to change a winning recipe even though it MIGHT make it better..
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:40 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The thing that makes "gothic" "gothic" imo is The setting, The storyline, the npc's and ineractions, the way the things you do affect things besides yourself.

Adding shields to me wouldn't affect it at all, it would give new breathe to the combat aspect, which imo needs a overhaul.
I really wish they'd look at BoD for combat.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:43 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

You can find games with better graphics, better story, and NPCs with "stronger" personality(games which are based on series of books often have better characters and story). To me, it is the combination of the combat system, setting, world itself and so on.. a certian chemistry.

I am not certain whether or not shields would change anything. Probably not, but I don't like the thought of gambling with such a brilliant game. Like I said, adding too much at once will upset the fine balance which makes Gothic what it is today.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:56 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

first we add shields after that we add gloves after that we add boots after that we add Helemets heej am i seeying another Diablo 2 ? those shields what are on walls those are things with a beautiful picture and if u correctly remember the guy who guards Thors hammer and Innos shield he told Innos by himself used that shield and it was pretty big also so maybe there is some religious shjit inside that Shields are used only by gods
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:58 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Phew!Some of you are taking this shield aspect way too seriously.Shields would only improve combat.Its just useless to even discuss this as some of you allready seem to know how even suggestion about improving combat will ruin your game forever..

What really is core of gothic is the setting itself, atmosphere.Imo gothic really has found it's place beetveen realism and fantasy..Gothic is gothic, because the world is so livinglike and the interesting npcs who populate it.Main characters who we all like and hate.HEro for example is the gothic itself..i'll hope they won't change him!just make that ponytail to go away or atleast they should make it look more alive.I mean it would be neat to see hair and clothes moving with the wind etc .
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:19 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Dez, BoD will be next on my list…After G2 of course. If you like object interaction with the surrounding environment, you just have to check out Splinter Cell. It is simply amazing…

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:37 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next