View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Rafter II
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
well even in that sleepers temple are many mistry things and its pretty cool belive me the best thing how to kill there sceletions was that u summon also sceletion armys u can buy them by Xardas hehe

I summoned the skeleton army at the new camp in my shack
What a sight… all hell broke out
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:50 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

only time I used it was in the final battle, they weren't much help tho, kept getting in the way! But yeh I can imagine what it'd be like unleashing them in the camps! I did lure a swampshark into the sect camp in chapter 1, they seem to be almost invincible at that part of the game, and it was great, you just have to see baal orun being wacked to death by one of those!
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:44 pm
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

my favorite thing to do goes into one of the camps remove everyones abilty to stay live, then insert all the monsters i wanted, and i just stood outta range while watching all the fun lol
Post Thu May 01, 2003 3:18 am
Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I just don't see the appeal. I got as far as trying to clear the free mine and find the orc shaman, and I have to say that Gothic is one of the most irritating games I've ever played. Getting used to the moronic controls was more than enough irritation for any game, but it just kept getting worse. As a mage, fighting groups consists of casting and running, then going back, casting and running - ad nauseum until everything is dead. It's impossible to cast when something is hitting the character - even arrows. Actually not dying when fighting in confined places seems to be more or less accidental. I have no idea how anyone could be patient enough to get through that mine as a mage. Apparently some people find reloading every 10 steps 'challenging'. I find it just plain irritating. And why does Gorn keep attacking me? And why does he say I've killed someone from the old camp? Duh! I'm there to kill people from the old camp! But never mind- I just don't care anymore. Melee was no better. Critters just stay out of range until you let them in, and only then can you actually hit them - while they're hitting you. Gothic is easily as sucky as Dungeon Seige or NWN, and that's pretty damn sucky. It's a shame too, since the story and gameworld are great, but combat is just so unutterably pathetic.
I thought Gothic 2 might have been interesting, but after playing what I believe to be the most idiotic combat system I've ever seen, I'll pass, thankyou.
I don't understand it really, since a lot of people on this forum seem to genuinely love the game, so I guess they can see something that I don't.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 2:41 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Granted, Gothic has many many faults. But it is still an amazing game. To me, the convincing world is what shines above all its faults.

Never before have I played a game that takes me so beleivably through woods and swamps and mountains and caves. Even if there was NO game within this world, I would just love to explore it. The fact that almost the whole world was contained within one area without any loading just made it all the more appealing.

To give you an example, the complete opposite is Morrowind. A highly detailed game, with practically no world to explore. Sure it is physically large, but it is flat and uninteresting. No forests, no real mountains, no real swamps.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 3:45 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

man i dont know whats wrong with you nwn was a good game even if it does have high demands on your system dungeon seige was also a great game although it was a bit annoying, granted the gothic combat system is not the best its still an awesome game
Post Tue May 20, 2003 11:32 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't underdtand why people hate the combat system in gothic. Even though it makes it hard to fight multiple enemies, It's still WAY more fun than the combat in most rpg's, especially diablo and the the game that has the worst combat system ever, dungeon siege. Why? because YOU are the one doing the combat, not your character.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 4:52 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

But you are comparing games together that should not be compared where controls are concerned.

I agree with you that the controls in Gothic are more fun, but how would they have worked in Dungeon Seige or Diablo?

The fact that Gothic was a 3rd person action adventure/RPG made those type of controls necessary, and because it was a 3rd person action adventure/RPG it should be compared as such. The prime example would have been the Zelda games on the GC & N64. That is a control scheme that was practically flawless.

The control scheme in Gothic is adequate. But it could have been a LOT better
Post Wed May 21, 2003 1:54 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
I don't underdtand why people hate the combat system in gothic. Even though it makes it hard to fight multiple enemies, It's still WAY more fun than the combat in most rpg's, especially diablo and the the game that has the worst combat system ever, dungeon siege. Why? because YOU are the one doing the combat, not your character.

I agree, the only bad thing that I can say about the combat system is the rather unresponsive blocking, which is fairly important later on in the game.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 8:58 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would dance around with my character practicing the various combat moves and combinations, maybe 5 or 10 minutes a couple times a day. The control system is simply amazing, though it takes some getting used to. (I find the kb/mouse combo works best). There is a certain intuitiveness that is required in Gothic, don't know how to explain it really, but if you know what I am tallking about, you will understand. With Gorn, he never attacked me. You have to remember, that in Gothic, you don't control the enviorment, it controls you. Or even better it dictates your best course of action.
Post Sat May 31, 2003 5:09 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I agree. Anyone who says that the combat system in Gothic is moronic must be a moron themselves.
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:37 am
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

If Your Problem is the respwning System, i can send you my mod, so the Monster Respawn Again, After The Chapter Ends, that way if you kill a lot in the first chapter, you will have monsters again, and if you do not kill em, .... well, you will have to run, because they WILL kill you, i tell you by experience
actually, i got a mod, that balance this Good game to be the best, and for example, to use more than just the 20 % of the weapon, Making More monsters, and some swords accesibles earlier, as you got a LOT OF WEAPON at the end, but they are not accesible Starting... well too much to say about all that i have... ...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:09 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic combat system is the best i ever seen u see Diablo , Dungeno Siege , Morrowind they all damn click and play games u just click on the enemy and ur character hits him its like a mouse button war maaan everyone can do that even a 2 year kiddo . Gothic gives u an oportunity to proov urself how really handle a sword and Arts u have an oportunity to see some terrific hits etc . Never ever say Gothic has a shjitti combat system
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:50 am
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

mmm, i think that comparing NWN and dungeon Siegue is One Thing, but Those With Gothic???? you are really lost Here , i like dungeon siegue, i plated it once in the wait of Gothic2, NWN is like a Mario 64 with a lot of USELESS items, i did not like it, nor the fighting System, is Hell Boring you command to attack, and see if the Maths Help You, Not For me, I like the way Gothic Handles that, (I Like it even More in Gothic 2, becouse they Fix The unresponsive blocking Thing) although, i like it better on ENCLAVE or The Zelda64 Series (Rocks Here) blade etc... so i think that it is your own fault, you did not learn enough, or you just do not like CHALLENGING games... I like Them
PS:... I never reloaded Gothic More than 2 Times in The Same Part...
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:53 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2