View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Question on Attributes and a Mod I'd like to find

Two unrelated quetions.
1) Why are some of my attributes showing their numbers in red? I checked my active spells, powers, abilities page and there is no negative affect on them from anything. I notice that when I pump up an attribute with a spell, for instance, these will show up in green. But, I don't get why I'm getting red attribute numbers when nothing seems to be the culprit.
2) Does a Mod exist somewhere that will give you more than the 8 spells, etc. that you get to have on your quick key wheel? 8 is a bit limiting and while I realize you can pause and pick whatever you want, I would rather keep my pausing and hunting thru the magic spell files to a minimum. Thanks very much.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 3:11 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Red means that attribute has been lowered by something; a spell, poison, a magic weapon etc. I don't think more than 8 is possible; looks like a design decision. I'd like more too, but I find it sufficient!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:58 am
Zaleukos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think BTMod does what you want.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 2:48 pm
corwin

I use the BT mod and I still only have the 8 quickslots!!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 6:54 am
Zaleukos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My mistake, I misread the first post and thought it was about not having enough on screen in the menus (which annoys lots of people and BTMod fixes) rather than quickslots.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 8:11 am
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, I *do* have the BTmod. It's nice for what it does. Makes it look more like a PC game. But, the lack of having more spells, etc at my fingertips still makes it seem like it was written with the X-Box in mind. It wouldn't have been cheating to give us a fully functional keyboard where we could assign all we want. The game is pausable anytime, but you have to rummage thru menus to get to the spell you want. Clumsy. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I just shudder to think how good it could have been if designed for the PC first. Well, I guess that's what mods were for. I sure wish someone with the knowledge would write a mod opening up the entire KB for key assignment like in many other RPGs...
Thanks.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 4:49 pm
corwin

Yep, one of the things I most like about NWN is the 36 quickslots for spells, but at high levels, even that is not enough!!

Post Sat May 20, 2006 11:08 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You wrote:
"Red means that attribute has been lowered by something; a spell, poison, a magic weapon etc."

I still don't get it. I am showing absolutely *no* negative effects in my 'active' page that is supposed to show all magical effects - good or bad. I just show good ones. I can sleep and wake up and still have the red numbers in my attribute page. Some of my numbers are green (good - elevated), some are blue (no effects), and some are red (bad). Why is this when my 'active' spells, etc page shows no problems? Where would I go in the menus to find what the problem is, if not this page?
Thanks.
Post Sun May 21, 2006 1:24 am
corwin

Not sure where to find it, but I do know where to fix it!! Go to a temple in one of the cities and click on the altar!! You probably got wounded by a magic weapon and missed the announcement; happened to me often!!

Post Sun May 21, 2006 10:29 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Means you have 3 days from the time it happend, to cast or drink cure desease or you willl be a Vampire, if I recall.

Oh and to answer your second question No, 8 is all you get, atm afaik.
Though someone did make a mod allowing your to wheel scroll your 1-8 keys for spells.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 2:33 am
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

I was tracking a MOD not in the official forums, it wasn't released, but it was apearently near finished...

It would allow for CTRL and ALT and SHIFT to add 8 more quick slots each...

It's not a MOD perse' but was a EXE that had to be run prior to the game, and then you launch Oblivion...

I completely lost track of it and knew when I surfed away fromt he page it was on, I should have bookmarked it... But being an idiot hinders life's happiest moments... ( DoH )

Anyway, if we are all looking for it, maybe one of will find it...

I do have some serious reservations about whether it is even possible... But I'd be very happy to be wrong... Taking the 8 quick slots and making 32 quickslots would change the face of oblivion for mages forever.

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Thu May 25, 2006 8:52 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Warmskin
I still don't get it. I am showing absolutely *no* negative effects in my 'active' page that is supposed to show all magical effects - good or bad

The best way to think of it is that your attributes behave like your health. As your health has current and maximum values, so do your attributes. A Damage <Attribute> effect is an instant, permanent change, just like getting hit by a sword has an instant, permanent effect on your health.

When you take physical damage, there's no "effect" active on you - but the interface informs you by displaying your health as e.g. "65/100". When an attribute is damaged, there's also no effect active on you - but the interface informs you by displaying the attribute in red.

You fix your damaged health with a potion of Restore Health, and you fix your damaged attribute with a potion of Restore <Attribute>, or anything with a similar effect.
Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:25 am
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, yes, I figured out the red numbers problem and went to a chapel - no more problem. But, Thanks! And, this 8 spell limitation (implemented for apparently no reason) is becoming the most annoying part of the game. I play as a battlemage and rely greatly on magic. There are some great spells to use in tandem such as weakening an opponent for fire and then smacking him with a fireball. I could go on. I guess I could make spells combining these features, but it seems a waste seeing that I know them all separately. Making me stop to forage around in my spell inventory doesn't really make the game any harder, it just makes it more frustrating and jars you from the fast action fun that many of the battles can be. With so many mods out there, I have no idea how to find one that might fix this even if someone was to write one. Does anyone here have a grip on a good way to find a mod you might like w/o spending all day finding it? Thanks.
Post Mon May 29, 2006 3:57 pm