Worst Monastery/Arnika Road Experience
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Worst Monastery/Arnika Road Experience

All the posts lately about trouble in expert games got me to thinking.

I just started a new 6-person expert game:
Dracon Samurai
Human Monk
Mook Ranger
Gnome Gadgeteer
Hobbit Bard (Fighter-to-be )
Elven Bishop

I haven't run a 6-person game in a while, and I had the monastery curse - every corner had a party of at least 4 metallic slimes (90-125 HP each). It took me forever to go through the lower monastery. By the time I finally got to the upper monastery, the girls were bitching about the shortage of ammo, breaking fingernails, and not enough rest.

Then we hit the upper monastery and got a huge number of pestilent rats (and I'm ashamed to admit that a dung beetle got to my Sammie, who's diesased ).

I spent so much time fighting slimes in the lower monastery that everybody was already level 6-7 by upper monastery. I stopped leveling them and went on.

After I'd been on the Arnika road for a short while and had already killed five groups of raiders (besides the usual suspects, I mean), I spotted a Hogar and decided that maybe I ought to give it up, level up and go for it. So the girls are around L11 now, and they drove the Hogar insane and beat the crap out of it, acquiring a handy hogar tusk. Unfortunately, there are more red dots in the distance....

Anyway, what's your worst ever experience in the early game?
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:23 pm
otter
One of Us

Well, i discovered running away in the Swamp my first game, so in my 2nd i thought i'd be clever and run from the crowds on the AR intersection. I hadn't looked at any hints or boards yet (i usually play a game through a couple times first), so i ran North in my 2nd game just like my 1st, but this time when i started running, i got caught by the 2 Wasps that are almost always there, and a few more bands of "men" came to see what was going on by the time i was done with the wasps, i was in Combat with 6 groups: 4 Crimson Poppies, 2 Siges, 8 Juggernauts, 6 Roustabouts, 6 Cutpurses, and 6 Bandits. Running North, i then picked up more Roustabouts, and was finally cornered by a Hogar. Everybody died.
The threshold for AR is L6. If your party average is 5, there'll be much less trouble at the intersection; after that the mobs get a lot deadlier than you do. It takes to about L11 before it's more fun than sweat.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:47 am
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, in the first game I ever played, there was a battle on the Arnika/Trynton road that was pretty bad. My guys were at level 10. Memory's fuzzy, but it was something like 8 Juggernauts, 6 Crimson Poppies, 4 Rank Weeds, and 5 Shrieking Bats. I brought most of the difficulty on myself; it was my first game, and all of the relatively short battles in the Monastary had me fooled into thinking that stamina potions and spells weren't all that useful. "Pfft... who needs stamina" was basically my inkling.

Boy, was I in for a shock. The bad thing about Juggernauts in the early game is that they take FOREVER to kill. I was only able to hold them off by continually casting Insanity on them, and slowly wearing them down with fireballs and such. But, because of my disregard for the whole "stamina thing", my guys were lapsing in and out of consciousness by the end of it (about 20 rounds worth). I won, surprisingly, with no casualties, and I learned my lesson. Now I keep spare Rest All scrolls for similar occasions.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:29 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've been playing a random party (where you use a random number generator to pick your races/classes) and I've had some truly embarassing defeats since I started playing these parties.

One party died in the Hall of Meditation in the Monastery. They made it through the original group of rats, hadn't even walked the length of the room, when another 17 gnawer and rabid rats showed up! Then on top of that, a group of 8 raiders showed up toward the tail end of the fight. Whew! One party bites the dust (and I never knew that raiders ever showed up in the Hall of Meditation ).
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:04 am