beyond divinity demo impressions...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

beyond divinity demo impressions...

Well as usual I dont have much to say, but Im going to say it anyway!

I played for about 10 minutes.

For some reason it ran painfully slow on my puter I might have to trouble shoot something.

It looks neat. For some reason your character is much smaller than in diablo. Correct me if Im wrong, but your avatar and the monsters were much larger in divine divinity. In this you take up more a warcraft sized character.

Graphics wise.... well let me get farther into it. I think 2d graphics looks a lot better actually. I think Sacred looked a little better to me.

The background music with the weird opera singers is back and it sounded cool.

The paper doll and inventory system are just like DD. What almost looks cheesy to me is they use the exact same font as the first game. You would have thought maybe they would make it look a little different.

You control 2 characters, largely in a warcraft type fashion. Although you cant make a box to highlight them both, you have to click select all.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:35 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You were aware there's a zoom feature, right?
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:36 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The only 2 problems I have with it are:

I can't seem to click on something to fight it which is very annoying (is there a highlight button to highlight items, I couldn't find one in key options?) When I try to click on a rat or guy to fight my guys walk up to him and it starts beating on me and I keep trying to click on it but my guys just change places and walk aroubnd the guy beating on them.

The voice acting. Holy Jesus its bad. But bad enough to be entertaining, like watching the Batman show. Squishy treats? They did pay tribute to PS:T and Morte.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:35 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
The paper doll and inventory system are just like DD. What almost looks cheesy to me is they use the exact same font as the first game. You would have thought maybe they would make it look a little different.

That's one of the things I liked with the demo. It looks like DD and that gives this great feeling and I start to smile

quote:
You were aware there's a zoom feature, right?

There's zoom? Cool, I think, must try out.

quote:
I can't seem to click on something to fight it which is very annoying (is there a highlight button to highlight items, I couldn't find one in key options?) When I try to click on a rat or guy to fight my guys walk up to him and it starts beating on me and I keep trying to click on it but my guys just change places and walk aroubnd the guy beating on them.

It works the same way as in DD. ALT higlights items and CTRL highlights nearest enemy The fighting system works a bit different in BD, so try not to press the buttons to fast before he gets the chance to hit.

Ah, this demo is great. So nice stuff, like needing food when resting (sounds cozy ) And I enjoy the fightning system. And offcurse the music is so lovely, altough my favourite Divinity theme is the main menu/end credits for DD. Ohh....the skills!! Can it be better?

Thanks Larian!

Edit: Why's "credits" made as a link?

Last edited by Aphazel on Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:53 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Targetting. Use the Ctrl key and then click, or hover the mouse over the creature until it's name shows up on thr top of the screen, then click.
Highlighting. Use the ALT key.

And they also paid tribute to Alexander Dumas, with Edmond trying to dig his way out of the cell.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I remember that DD demo had this huge dungeon, here (BD) however is very short (barely Level 3) or did I miss something?

I would prefer these portraits on the bottom (maybe because all games I've played recently have all that crap on the bottom so I just get used to this )
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:24 am
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
Originally posted by Seth

I would prefer these portraits on the bottom (maybe because all games I've played recently have all that crap on the bottom so I just get used to this )

When I saw the stuff was on the rop right on the screenshots I was sceptical to it, but when I play the demo I feel like it's better, altough I miss the look of it from DD a bit.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Roqua: Yeah, the enemies move a little too fast to click on them easily. Pause the game when you sight an enemy. Then direct you guys to attack. You don't have to keep clicking, your guys will attack them until they die.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:35 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I liked it but the voice acting was almost embrassing.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:06 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

[quote="Seth"]I remember that DD demo had this huge dungeon, here (BD) however is very short (barely Level 3) or did I miss something?[quote]
No, you missed nothing. This is the first elvel of Act 1. I think its something like 10-15% of the first act. There are 4 acts in total. In addition to that there are also the battlefields which add even more playtime.
In the actual game that is
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:26 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yes, a very small demo in game-time, but none the less a good chance to see some of the new things.

Targeting enemies are way to difficult, especially the small agile mouses, and other quick moving enemies. The "Pause" feature, can help you targeting the enemies, but I would prefer if they could make the sensitive areas on enemies a little bigger, so you could solely depend on your mouse when attacking enemies.

My little two-character party had sometimes problems to follow the same path through the dungeon, and the none-leading characters, often wandered after enemies of his own, also through other rooms, and drawed too many enemies to my attantion at one time. A little party behavior possibilities would have been nice.

Graphics are okay, a little more crisp than DD IMO, and with a nice feature to zoom, and choose other resolutions, but strangely at 1600X1200 my characters moved very slowly without getting choppy (62 Flops), but at 1024x768 (65 Flops) my characters (and some enemies) sometimes moved faster than I could blink with an eye.

Story and gameworld is ofcourse not ready for evaluation, as the demo was way to short for that.

The enhanced DD skill system looks interesting, I'm looking forward for the manual for the full features.

I like this all in once Item/skill/doll/status screen

And the map/journal/trophy etc. options also looks very satisfying.

Regarding quests and NPC interaction the demo didn't give one the oppotunity to see it's potential.

I liked DD, and I'm quite sure that others who also did so, also will enjoy BD.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:28 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
My little two-character party had sometimes problems to follow the same path through the dungeon, and the none-leading characters, often wandered after enemies of his own, also through other rooms, and drawed too many enemies to my attantion at one time. A little party behavior possibilities would have been nice.

I think you have the script for the DK set as aggressive. Which means he start running after ther first enemy he sees. You could change that to passive after which it waits for you to tell what it should do. Although once it is attacking it will keep on attacking. As opponents will now flee when their HP drops below a certain percentage, that means he will have to chase them. Or you have to position your character so that they are cornered and can't run.

The game is really designed to use the space bar and to apply you tactics during the pause. You will have far less combat than in Divinity and far more tactics involved.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:31 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Quite an enjoyable little demo, though not as good as the one for DD. I agree with Michael's comments. Question, perhaps for Myrthos who seems to have some extra information. Was the voice acting just for the Demo, or will that be what we get in the final product? I can't remember hearing worse.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:42 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Myrthos
I think you have the script for the DK set as aggressive. Which means he start running after ther first enemy he sees. You could change that to passive after which it waits for you to tell what it should do.

I must have missed that option, where do I change his behavior to passive?

It's okay he chase a fleeing enemy if I have ordered him to attack the enemy, but if he starts his own crusade without any confirmation from me, it can be a little annoying tactical wise.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:14 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I think it was left click on the character portrait, but it also could be the TAB key. I can't check it here at work.

As to Corwin, I'm afraid these are the ones in the game too. If we are luckky they run them thorugh a vocoder again.
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next