Why play Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Why play Morrowind?

I have played Gothic, and I liked it, and I wonder, because I have some other games I am playing right now, why should I play Morrowind? How is it? Is it worth playing instead of Mafia for example?

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I haven't played Mafia, but Morrowind is a fine CRPG if you like to explore a lot. Don't expect too much non-linearity (for I have yet to see a non-linear CRPG), but if you love to wander around in a big gaming world, taking up countless side quests, this one will be for you. If you like to be taken by the hand, however, and guided through a game, you probably won't like it. As I said, it's not non-linear, but it's so huge you may get lost.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:59 pm
Xax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Don't expect too much non-linearity (for I have yet to see a non-linear CRPG), but if you love to wander around in a big gaming world, taking up countless side quests, this one will be for you. If you like to be taken by the hand, however, and guided through a game, you probably won't like it. As I said, it's not non-linear, but it's so huge you may get lost.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Morrowind is just about as non-linear as it gets. You're completely free to explore the entire world at your own pace. Of course, certain areas are more dangerous than others and shouldn't be visited until you're strong enough. There is a main quest and many, many side-quests, but you're under no obligation to pursue them (it would make for a somewhat boring game if you didn't, but the option is yours nonetheless).

I would recommend reading some reviews of Morrowind if you're not sure you'd enjoy it, but I've found it to be a very enjoyable game.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:34 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

In my book it's not non-linear: Morrowind has a main plot/quest, just like its predecessor Daggerfall had. You needn't play that as you pointed out, but since many things hinge on the central plot it would be unwise not to take part in it. As I see it, the only really non-linear CRPGs are
(M)MORPGs.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:20 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Iīm with Jaz; it may be open-ended but not non-linear. Itīs still a great game though, if you have reasonably new and up-to-date comp.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:09 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

the quests are all the same though.. killing/stealing/talk to this or that/find this or that

or did i just do to lil amount of quests ?
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:50 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

And the world is pretty non-living too. No-one moves more than two meters, and everyone is awake 24/7. And they all stand! No sitting, no lying down, no relaxing. They just standthere, around the clock.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:14 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

atleast the ordinators scratch their back once in a while
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:15 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Thatīs true. And the mudcrabs do seem to have some kind of resting pose.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:42 pm
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i think golden saints are one of the most boring characters they hardly even move
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:59 pm
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey, they do not sleep because there is this disease to prevent them from resting, just ask in Ald'rhun

When I first started the game I thought I was not good enough at real time RPGs - I mean when you swing your sword with your mouse. I was used to games where you only give orders, like Wizardry 8. Then it turned out I was going in the wrong direction where the monsters where harder. Conclusion - nobody tells you what to do, does not prevent you from doing it your way. A nice game I would say.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:19 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

So, does this disease preventing from sitting down too?

Donīt take me wrong, I love MW, itīs just that itīs a bit too static. And silent. But with the Wilderness sound mod, at least the ambient sounds are vastly improved.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:31 pm
puma
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmm, there is hardly any game that has better livliness of creatures. It would be even difficult to find someone to report a quest for example, if he was real travelling agent You could spend days looking for him in Morrowind. However, you are right, people could use some sleep. Even in Betrayal at Krondor you could only enter an inn or merchant within specific hours of operation; the same in Albion.
On the other hand most of recently published games is long way behind Morrowind. After Betrayal at Krondor I have not seen a game (until MW), where you could choose for how long you wish to sleep and your sleep could be interrupted.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

...Daggerfall? If I remember correctly you could sleep and be interrupted as well, but I don't remember if you could choose how long you wanted to sleep.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:37 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I play it since the day I got the press beta. I never stopped playing it for longer than a week since that.

So I must really like the game.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next